Phantom 4 RTK wont return to breakpoint
9654 32 2019-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
barnumb2
lvl.1

United States

I have updated to the latest version of 01.07.0118 on the aircraft and 01.07.0116 on the remote controller and when I end/pause/return to home in the middle of a flight path to do a battery swap, I send the aircraft back into the air and resume the mission however it skips the rest of that flight line and starts on the next line.  Anyone else still having these issues?
2019-3-13
Use props
tony anderson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7402 ft
United States

I am having the same issue. When mine returns home for battery swap it wants to start mission all over again from the start. Any help much appreciated
2019-3-13
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haven't flown any multi-battery missions yet but thanks for heads up. Hope this gets resolved soon.
2019-3-14
Use props
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

patiam Posted at 3-14 09:48
Haven't flown any multi-battery missions yet but thanks for heads up. Hope this gets resolved soon.

I purposely flew a mission with three low batteries to check this.  I remember seeing that the latest firmware update was supposed to correct this.... but with no real instructions on how to properly restart a  mission after changing a battery What I got was as depicted.  no matter where break point was, after new battery inserted, mission picked up again at the end of the leg it left from.... not at the RTB breakout point.    So to reduce issue I am gong to try to RTB at or near the end of long axis runs.  
2019-3-14
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Ugh. Thanks for confirming. Looks broken to me.

Now that I think about it, we did see this behavior on one of our early test flights, but I forgot about it and hadn't tried a multi-battery flight since.
And yeah, gotta love that thorough documentation, eh?

Hopefully Pix4D will make its Pix4D Capture app work with the P4P RTK... Although no decision had been made on that as recently as week ago.
2019-3-14
Use props
Euis
lvl.2
Australia

The only way we ever got a pause/resume to work is by pausing when the aircraft is in between two lines, not on a line. Press Pause, then RTH, it'll auto-land, and after battery switch, use Resume to takeoff and resume with the next line.
2019-3-20
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Euis Posted at 3-20 22:02
The only way we ever got a pause/resume to work is by pausing when the aircraft is in between two lines, not on a line. Press Pause, then RTH, it'll auto-land, and after battery switch, use Resume to takeoff and resume with the next line.

Thanks for sharing this workaround!
2019-3-20
Use props
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

patiam Posted at 3-20 22:06
Thanks for sharing this workaround!

Yes - very helpful.  Thank you!
2019-3-23
Use props
MTCWBY
lvl.3

United States

They appear to have broken it on the last release. We didn't have the problem in previous versions and quite often I've had to swap batteries on large sites. While they're fixing that I wish they'd not default the boundary overlap to Auto which is also new in the release.
2019-3-25
Use props
djiuser_aerjSg7Sj1Zj
lvl.4

United States

I can confirm on a 3 battery mission I flew today the resume mission didn't work on the battery swaps. It has on two separate missions skipped to the next line to continue the missions. Luckily I fly 80%/80% overlap and it hasn't affected the end result (by blurring the area). Hopefully they get this fixed soon.
2019-3-26
Use props
IanSW
lvl.2

United States

This is somewhat distressing news.
2019-4-4
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

IanSW Posted at 4-4 19:07
This is somewhat distressing news.

More than somewhat.

Nice T3 star glasses avatar BTW...
2019-4-4
Use props
CoastalCapt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192343 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not flown on this new firmware (01.07.0118) either but I did fly a multi battery mission on the previous firmware on March 7 and had no issue by using the suggested method of pausing and returning to home after a long segment/flight line was performed and before the drone moved to the beginning of the next flight line (in between flight lines).  Drone Deploy had the same issue a couple of years ago and I started making that the standard protocol ever since for multi battery missions even though I knew DD had addressed the issue.  
2019-4-5
Use props
choppedxs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 602090 ft
New Zealand

MTCWBY Posted at 3-25 16:40
They appear to have broken it on the last release. We didn't have the problem in previous versions and quite often I've had to swap batteries on large sites. While they're fixing that I wish they'd not default the boundary overlap to Auto which is also new in the release.

So agree here with turning default for boundary overlap back to manual. If we want a boundary we can turn it on. How does auto even know what I want? If it was terrain aware then maybe but most of the time the auto just makes my drone want to fly into cliffs or trees
2019-4-10
Use props
VPS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8156 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a new P4RTK with latest firmware etc and as yet I have not seen a Resume option on any multi battery flights....

Anyone got any suggestions?
2019-4-30
Use props
Vorlauf
lvl.2

United States

VPS Posted at 4-30 09:16
I have a new P4RTK with latest firmware etc and as yet I have not seen a Resume option on any multi battery flights....

Anyone got any suggestions?

On the left side of the controller screen in the GS RTK app is an icon that looks like a piece of paper, tap it to bring up a new window , at the top of that is a drop down with options Executing, Plan, KML File.  To continue a mission after a battery change make sure that Executing is selected and then select your current flight mission to resume after the battery swap.  It should show how much of the mission was completed prior to your battery swap.
2019-4-30
Use props
jgillan
lvl.2

United States

I too confirm that when I return to home to change batteries, it will skip the flight line you aborted on and move to the next flight line, thus omitting any images remaining on the aborted line. There does not appear to be any way to customize specific flight lines to start on or redo. Drat.
2019-5-10
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.2
United States

I just updated from the January firmware and am now having this same issue. This seems like a very major problem for anyone working on large blocks.
2019-5-13
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6484478 ft
Australia

Will be testing today with the newest firmware update (the one that turns all text to chinese).  Will let you know if it has been rectified or not.
2019-5-13
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.2
United States

Sadly, I had this issue with the most recent firmware update. Although I did use the page icon on the flight screen to get to the executing missions list. Perhaps it acts differently if you come from the main homepage?
2019-5-14
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

We came probably seconds from a forced RTH due to low battery yesterday, so I thought we were going to get a test of this issue, but the flight was completed and we were spared the "experiment". I'm betting it hasn't been fixed, and doesn't matter how you start or pause the mission (other than the workaround of stopping between legs rather than in the middle of one).
2019-5-14
Use props
LYVFD8142
lvl.4

United States

The only problem with the Pause workaround is the RTH at 18%, 24% etc. If it always RTH at 18% then you could pause at 19% but if it's windy up there it may RTH at 24% and you missed the pause. I just learned to set the overlaps up to 75% to 80% on side laps to ensure I have the area fully saturated with photos.
2019-5-14
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

LYVFD8142 Posted at 5-14 09:16
The only problem with the Pause workaround is the RTH at 18%, 24% etc. If it always RTH at 18% then you could pause at 19% but if it's windy up there it may RTH at 24% and you missed the pause. I just learned to set the overlaps up to 75% to 80% on side laps to ensure I have the area fully saturated with photos.

Agreed, the variable RTH threshold does complicate things. Tried to discuss that in another thread but it devolved terribly.
2019-5-14
Use props
GDUB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61801 ft

United States

Glad to hear and sorry at the same time that I'm not the only one feeling this pain! Really ready to be able to use TPA's on this bird!!
2019-5-16
Use props
fans59c77742
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518921 ft
  • >>>
United States

can't believe this still isn't fixed... DJI GET ON THIS!!!
2019-5-31
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.2
United States

I have a work around for this. It is not convenient, however it does work.

Return to breakpoint still works in terrain follow mode. If you load a surface that is all at one altitude, it is possible to fly a standard flight pattern and still return to the middle of a flight plan
2019-6-4
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Dragline49 Posted at 6-4 10:53
I have a work around for this. It is not convenient, however it does work.

Return to breakpoint still works in terrain follow mode. If you load a surface that is all at one altitude, it is possible to fly a standard flight pattern and still return to the middle of a flight plan

Interesting... So it resumes where it should in the middle of a leg in terrain follow mode, but not in normal mode.

Thanks for sharing!
2019-6-4
Use props
jivago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23671 ft
Iran

patiam Posted at 6-4 11:49
Interesting... So it resumes where it should in the middle of a leg in terrain follow mode, but not in normal mode.

Thanks for sharing!

When I was testing this matter, It worked without any problem in photogrammetry mode in Firmware V2.01.
2019-6-6
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

I can second Jivago.

Pressing Pause FIRST, rather than End.   The drone will hover in place, then RTH.

It creates a visible waypoint at the pause location and returns to the spot upon battery change.

Happy multi-battery flying.
2019-6-11
Use props
LYVFD8142
lvl.4

United States

So what happens if it Auto RTH at say 22% Battery life? There is no guarantee that it will Auto RTH at 18% every time.
2019-6-11
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Then you are screwed my friend. Doesn't create the breakpoint in those circumstances, better to be safe than sorry and pause at 25% if you have a large area to capture.
2019-6-11
Use props
Taylor88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11493 ft
United States

Euis Posted at 2019-3-20 22:02
The only way we ever got a pause/resume to work is by pausing when the aircraft is in between two lines, not on a line. Press Pause, then RTH, it'll auto-land, and after battery switch, use Resume to takeoff and resume with the next line.

Used this method today with our p4RTK and worked liked a charm! Flew 60 acres in 22 minutes. Too bad we had to fly it at 150' due to be so close to the airforce base.
2022-10-28
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

It works fine to just hit RTH or pause and then RTH as long as you switch to Executing rather than Plan after your battery swap & restart. If you're not on Executing, it will start at the beginning every time.
2022-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules