New Ronin-S Firmware Released (2019/03/14)
57872 208 2019-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FoolishPaul
lvl.1

United States

Is there no pull focus (for the wheel) for the Sony A7ii is it only the A7iii? Is there some  type of workaround?
I'm only getting  digital zoom and start & stop recording. The Pull focus and half button auto focus arnt working.
2019-3-22
Use props
fanscea697cb
New

United States

I purchased the Ronin S today and was very disappointed when I found that it is not compatible with my Sony A99II.  I just purchased this camera for $3500 a few months ago and I have over $10,000 in lenses for this camera so I will not be buying a new camera any time soon.  The Sony A99II is a direct competitor to the Canon MKIII so its very surprising that this camera wouldn't have been included as a compatible model.   I really like the Ronin S because of the ability to use the record button and focus wheel.  Unfortunately I will be returning the product just because it's not programmed to be compatible with the Sony A99II.  CAN YOU PLEASE CREATE A FIRMWARE UPDATE THAT INCLUDES THE SONY A99II AS A COMPATIBLE CAMERA WITH THE RONIN S ?  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... Other wise I will not have use for this product.
2019-3-22
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

After thinking my joystick calibration was complete, I was wrong! Turning the Ronin-S back on today revealed that my joystick was not calibrated and could not be calibrated after trying a dozen times.

In addition to the joystick issues, the trigger would also not center the gimbal after a double click, nor would is do selfie mode after a triple click! There is absolutely no way I can go into wedding season with such inconsistent operation. I bought this to replace my Ronin-M so I could pull focus on my GH5S, but I can't even take video of nothing but the ceiling because it eventually drifts all the way upwards in around 30 seconds!

I think I'm going to downgrade a firmware version tomorrow, and if this doesn't cut it, I think I'm going to return it and find a solution from your competitors.

And you rank the Ronin-S as professional grade equipment? Your QA is a complete joke! Who cares if this things does time lapses and panoramas if the gimbal can't even gimbal!
2019-3-22
Use props
fanseebf1e7b
New

United States

"Cannot Load Firmware List. Please Retry."

Keep getting this error message and cannot update my new Ronin S I was so excited to get today.
2019-3-22
Use props
Cable111
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3031 ft
United States

dantastic Posted at 3-14 04:24
Works well with the Z6 until I tried adding an external monitor, the camera won't output a Hdmi signal whilst connected to the gimbal

I found the same issue; although, if you go to the menu, the menu screen will show up on the external monitor.  Once you are out of the menu, the Ninja V says there is no input.  Have you heard of any solution/work-around?  Thanks.
2019-3-22
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

Antti Kuitto Posted at 3-18 00:46
I know that this is Ronin S -specific forum /thread, but since I own Ronin S and I'm frustrated about "not returning to center" issue, which wasn't fixed in this firmware, I'm planning to get rid of it. I have an opportunity to buy Ronin M (used just once) for roughly same kind of money that I may could get from Ronin S when selling...so apart from big size increase which sucks, any other thoughts about change? From what I have read, Ronin M doesn't have this centering issue and should deliver bit more smoother picture than Ronin S?
Edit. I'm using EOS 5D MKIV if that matters

I have both. I'm so glad I didn't sell my Ronin-M yet! The biggest issue for me is not being able to pull focus on my GH5S from the Ronin-M without adding a completely new focusing system. Also, overhead mode is difficult to engage, and if that's your primary usage mode, you'll need to mount the camera in a cage upside down before mounting. You cannot switch between under slung and over head without the camera being upside down in one of the orientations. This was a real selling point for the Ronin-S.
2019-3-22
Use props
beornottobedji
lvl.1
Flight distance : 102172 ft
Romania

On Nikon D800 I am able to focus using the wheel, I am able to record using the button on the gimbal, BUT I cannot see anything on the display, so this is useless. I was hoping that after one year you can  fix these things.
2019-3-22
Use props
djiuser_MuLEDMslD0Ro
lvl.2
United Kingdom

FebriKrist Posted at 3-21 19:29
Are u can pull focus with nikon d5600? What  the cable you use?
Yes, with the MCC B cable the wheel is fine as well as record Button on Nikon D5600.
But the screen is black, and as the cable block all the camera buttons you can’t do anything about it...

I wonder if an external monitor would do the trick with HDMI, but people seems to say that HDMI might also not work at all...
2019-3-23
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

Patrick Seguin Posted at 3-15 07:17
I wanted to try if  i would have the same problem with a monitor on my EOS R at the same time of the focus wheel even if it doest work properly but I am unable to plug it it in because of the angle of the MCC-C cable. I dont see any MCC-C cable that doesn't have an angle so i can hook up a monitor at the same time. That raises some questions like do your engineers did some real test with the latest camera like the EOS R and all the new ones you have introduce.  It looks like for many camera the Focus Doesn't work and some people are unable to use their monitors on other camera at the same time with the MCC cables. My guess is you havent tested that with the EOS R because i can't see how you would be able to plug it in. And if i push my logic further i'm now questioning if you did some test with a physical body and the focus wheel problem for Canon and Other brands.  This firmware was looking promising but so far i only see people that have the same problem and not only with the EOS-R it doesn't look like it was tested before you offer it to your customers.  Would be nice to have a engineers drop in to give us some reel answer... [view_image]

Is it long enough for you to flip the cable upside down?
2019-3-24
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-13 23:51
Hi Rieder, may I verify which axis is drifting? You may update to the latest firmware to try again.

I have firmware version 1.8.0.70. I tried dozens of times last night to calibrate the joystick, as it was constantly drifting upwards of downwards (Tilt). When this is happening, I also can't use the trigger to center the camera with a double click or do selfie mode with a triple click.

But this morning, I turned the gimbal on, and it's working perfectly! This is the second time that the gimbal magically fixed itself overnight. But after one power cycle, it's back to drifting with the trigger being unresponsive. The other weird thing is that even though the trigger doesn't work for recenter and selfie mode, it does put the gimbal into joystick calibrate mode. So that means it is receiving clicks, just not doing the right thing with the clicks.

This is bad, really bad Mindy. Here is my control panel screenshot. The gimbal was working fine a few minutes ago, and now this.

Pleas help! I have paying video jobs with principal photography starting April 23!!
Screenshot_20190324-095039.jpg
Screenshot_20190324-095225.jpg
Screenshot_20190324-095232.jpg
Screenshot_20190324-095238.jpg
Screenshot_20190324-095250.jpg
Screenshot_20190324-095931.jpg
2019-3-24
Use props
fans1924925f
lvl.2
United States

So the drift issues were ignored?

Seriously?!?!?!
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansf9363869 Posted at 3-24 06:01
I have firmware version 1.8.0.70. I tried dozens of times last night to calibrate the joystick, as it was constantly drifting upwards of downwards (Tilt). When this is happening, I also can't use the trigger to center the camera with a double click or do selfie mode with a triple click.

But this morning, I turned the gimbal on, and it's working perfectly! This is the second time that the gimbal magically fixed itself overnight. But after one power cycle, it's back to drifting with the trigger being unresponsive. The other weird thing is that even though the trigger doesn't work for recenter and selfie mode, it does put the gimbal into joystick calibrate mode. So that means it is receiving clicks, just not doing the right thing with the clicks.

You have a few issues here. You're motor stiffness look suspiciously low. Are you sure you've auto-tuned with the camera on?

For example, a Sony A7RIII with a 16-35mm GM lens has these settings:

Pan: 38
Tilt: 43
Roll: 42

Next is your Channel 1. It's giving a constant input which means the gimbal is moving based off what it's receiving from the joystick. After a joystick calibration, that slider should be at 0.

During joystick calibration, are you moving the joystick to all corners?
2019-3-24
Use props
fans1924925f
lvl.2
United States

So is there anyway since this thing is a broken design that I can trade for a Ronin M?

I have dumped a grand into it and it drifts and is unusable. I am done. You guys aren’t going to fix it obviously. I wasted my money.
2019-3-25
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 3-24 19:22
You have a few issues here. You're motor stiffness look suspiciously low. Are you sure you've auto-tuned with the camera on?

The settings that you see are the result of an Auto Tune of a perfectly balanced setup.

I cannot do a successful calibration on my joystick after several dozen tries, as every time I try it fails. I'm moving the joystick left, right, up, down, sideways and in a circle and every attempt fails.

So, I thought since my Channel 1 won't zero properly, let's move the tilt to Channel 2 since I'm not using any roll functions, and I'll disable Channel 1 altogether. And this sort of works, but unfortunately, the remapping does not allow me to tilt my camera with the joystick!

This makes me think my unit is faulty. The trigger function for double click recenter and triple click for selfie now work fine. The gimbal has been able to keep operating in this limped state over several power cycles, so at least it's consistent, even though it's not what it's supposed to be.

I think I'll send this back to the Amazon for a replacement and see if that fairs better.
2019-3-25
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

The settings that you see are the result of an Auto Tune of a perfectly balanced setup.

I cannot do a successful calibration on my joystick after several dozen tries, as every time I try it fails. I'm moving the joystick left, right, up, down, sideways and in a circle and every attempt fails.

So, I thought since my Channel 1 won't zero properly, let's move the tilt to Channel 2 since I'm not using any roll functions, and I'll disable Channel 1 altogether. And this sort of works, but unfortunately, the remapping does not allow me to tilt my camera with the joystick!

This makes me think my unit is faulty. The trigger function for double click recenter and triple click for selfie now work fine. The gimbal has been able to keep operating in this limped state over several power cycles, so at least it's consistent, even though it's not what it's supposed to be.

I think I'll send this back to the Amazon for a replacement and see if that fairs better.
2019-3-25
Use props
LuxShots Films
lvl.2
United States

You have a few issues here. You're motor stiffness look suspiciously low. Are you sure you've auto-tuned with the camera on?

Hi Paul! FYI, I just personalized my user name.

What is the turnaround time for service if I sent my Ronin-S in, or do you recommend me just try and send it back to Amazon?
2019-3-25
Use props
LuxShots Films
lvl.2
United States

I returned the item to Amazon. I will research for a competitive product from another company and use the Ronin-M for my next job. If you get your issues resolved in the near future, I will reconsider buying the Ronin-S again.
2019-3-25
Use props
fansdbac9891
New
Venezuela

Hello! Y need some help please

I HAVE A BIG PROBLE WITH MI RONIN S

Stabilizate good, like always
Turn on the battery good, like always
Turn on the power up and on the light green like good
BUT THE MOTORS DONT TURN ON
If some one knows any solution pleaseeee
2019-3-26
Use props
fans96e952f9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71358 ft
Russia

Why Dji you won't make the complete compatibility with Sony? I need function of shooting of a taymlaps, through stable connection. Whether update with the complete compatibility with Sony a 7iii will be released?
2019-3-26
Use props
fans96e952f9
lvl.1
Russia

Whether there will be a support of function of a timelapse for Sony a7iii through reliable connection, through a cable? Third-party producers with ease support this function of management of a lock on Sony a7iii.
2019-3-26
Use props
fans96e952f9
lvl.1
Russia

management of function of a taymlaps through the IR-port very much isnt stable! I am very upset! Dji solve this problem???
2019-3-26
Use props
LuxShots Films
lvl.2
United States

fansdbac9891 Posted at 3-26 02:26
Hello! Y need some help please

I HAVE A BIG PROBLE WITH MI RONIN S
Press and hold the real power button to the right of the joystick. Or, you can just RTFM! LOL LOL
2019-3-26
Use props
fans96e952f9
lvl.1
Russia

LuxShots Films Posted at 3-26 13:37
Press and hold the real power button to the right of the joystick. Or, you can just RTFM! LOL LOL

Holding the delivery button what you receive? I not absolutely understood you.
2019-3-26
Use props
LuxShots Films
lvl.2
United States

fans96e952f9 Posted at 3-26 13:45
Holding the delivery button what you receive? I not absolutely understood you.

There is another button to the right of the joystick that is recessed. It's not the record button or the M button, it's that actual gimbal power button, as the other power button is the battery grip power button.

Press this button quickly twice and hold it the second time until all the gimbal lights turn green. Then the gimbal will beep and you are powered up!
2019-3-26
Use props
Kanaye Shogun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 335062 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-15 00:37
Hi Kanaye, sorry for the late response, your thread could be missed during the Chinese New Year, we sincerely apologize for that.
Improperly balancing the pan axis will result in a side to side wiggle when the gimbal is trying to stabilize the camera as you walk. To check whether your pan axis is balanced properly, please take something like the included charger and place it under one of the tripod legs and hold the handle. With your other hand, go into the App and run the balance test. All 3 axes should be Excellent if properly balanced. Please check more details here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-182599-1-1.html You can also tilt the device 45°, then check if the Power value of the pan motor is in the range of +/-5. If not, the device will need to be balanced again.

Hi Mindy,

Everything is perfectly balanced and i still have the same problem.
2019-3-26
Use props
squandre
lvl.2
Belgium

So, these are my findings with the recent update:

The MCC-C cable allows my Sony A7III to focus manually but disables the HDMI output.
So no external monitoring possible. Which is kinda crucial if you're gonna focus manually...

If I want to use external monitoring, I have to use the MCC-multi cable BUT that one doesn't allow manual focus pulling.

I mean... C'mon.
2019-3-28
Use props
Alex_BR
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Canon 6D mark II is not working properly

I can focus but I can not take the photo. I'm using a canon 16-35 2.8 lens with the MCC-Mini cable.
2019-3-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kanaye Shogun Posted at 3-26 18:43
Hi Mindy,

Everything is perfectly balanced and i still have the same problem.

Did you check the balance status after placing something like the charger under one of the tripod legs or tilt the device 45°? This is very important. Thanks for your confirmation.
2019-3-29
Use props
josepuebla
New

Chile

crunchtime85 Posted at 3-14 03:08
Update went through without a problem!
Finally i can use the timelapse functions with the Nikon Z6. Focus wheel works as well!
Thank you guys

that is amazing!! do you use only nikon lenses with the focus wheel? or you have also third party lenses like sigma art lenses with the FTZ adapter?
2019-3-31
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578182 ft
  • >>>
Spain

DJI-Paul Posted at 3-21 03:28
Here’s a video: https://youtu.be/ZT1qDN8kbRU

This is an A7RIII with a 16-35GM lens. Focus set to slow.

Friend, now I invite you to see the video on the PC and not on the camera monitor. The focus will JUMP always and you have about 300-600 ms of latency. Im right.
2019-4-1
Use props
LuxShots Films
lvl.2
United States

You have a few issues here. You're motor stiffness look suspiciously low. Are you sure you've auto-tuned with the camera on?

Yes, I moved it to al corners, but it repeatedly failed calibration over 100 times!
2019-4-1
Use props
fans58d2d8da
New

Sweden

Davidmartin Posted at 3-14 03:04
Someone tryied Sony A7R3 or similar with the new update?

I'm trying the update with the A7R3 rn and i can't seem to get the pull focus to work, any ideas?  I have the MCC cable and the record button works, however it's still trying to zoom when i spin the wheel.
2019-4-1
Use props
fans58d2d8da
New

Sweden

bcharleson Posted at 3-14 10:43
Awesome thanks! Still having troubles finding the right controls though. I have the same set up as you on MF, MCC-C cable, updated firmware. I have it on PC Remote and Control with Smartphone off and still doesn't seem to work. Any other settings?

How did you get the focus wheel to work with your A7R3?  I've been trying to figure this out for hours and can't figure out how to make the wheel stop trying to zoom and focus the lens.
2019-4-1
Use props
fans58d2d8da
New

Sweden

BlackBaron Posted at 3-14 18:52
Same issue after the update. A7III with a Sigma Art 50mm. Using the multi-cable I ordered from DJI. I'm still only able to digital zoom. The record button works fine.

Same issues here.  A7R3 just tries to "zoom" with the focus wheel.  Ahh was so excited to be able to pull focus with the ronin
2019-4-1
Use props
Toadovision
lvl.1
United Kingdom

dantastic Posted at 3-14 04:24
Works well with the Z6 until I tried adding an external monitor, the camera won't output a Hdmi signal whilst connected to the gimbal

This is probably a frame rate / resolution issue
I'm using the Z7 c/w Atomos V and it won't output is when I try to record 5x HD slomo
I'm hoping the PrroResRAW update when it arrives will resolve that
2019-4-1
Use props
Toadovision
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Kanaye Shogun Posted at 3-14 07:36
Since everyone from DJI is ignoring my post...i am going to ask the same question here ..

Does anybody have a problem with Ronin S smoothes, especially on the panning?

Do you have lens VR switched on?  Looks like it's fighting the gimbal
2019-4-1
Use props
alexkachkaev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221125 ft
Russia

Sony a7rIII (v.2.10) + Ronin-S (v.1.8.0.70). When plugged in to Ronin-S, does allow focus pulling, but:
- gives no HDMI picture output in Movie mode, just a black screen (yet shows the info from the camera, such as focus point, shutter/aperture/iso, timecode, audio signal levels etc)
- gives no HDMI picture in any other mode while recording, it's just a black screen with camera info. The output is totally okay while camera is standing by.

It's a bad, bad thing.
2019-4-2
Use props
Abraham Reyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone have test results for electronic pull focus on Sony a6500 and 18-105?
2019-4-3
Use props
opethian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174557 ft
Pakistan

Anyone using D850 and doing motion timelapse?
I tried yesterday and anything with interval more than 2 seconds, the movement is jerky and pictures are all blurry. When wrong am I doing here ???
2019-4-4
Use props
Nenad84
New
Serbia

I can not update firmware, when I start Pro Assistant For Ronin v2.0.2,
I get a message Cannont Load Firmware List. Please Retry I changed the cables, I tried on another computer, always the same message
2019-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules