Put engines to minimum without shutting them off
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Federico e Luca
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1258780 ft
France

Aside My Phantom 4 Pro Plus, I previously had an Hubsan H109s.

With the old H109s was possible to land and put engine to idle (minimum rotation speed) without shutting them off, simply pushing down throttle for a couple of seconds.

The same command in P4P instead shuts down engines.

If I try to land in a place distant from me, and then re-takeoff, is now necessary to power up engines again, and autocheck will look again for gps, etc, but it will also auto-update home position to last one (Ok, I know that is possible to set remote controller to have RC as home point).

Is there any way to put engines to minimum without shutting them off?

2019-3-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Federico,

Wow, that is strange.  I never noticed that before.  My left stick always seemed to allow me to land and then set to idle.  I will have to check that tomorrow.  I have the P4 Pro though, not the P4 Pro + (plus).  

I used to fly up a ridge a hundred feet and deliberately shut down and restart to get the extra 100 feet in altitude.  There was never a problem then like you describe.

I will check you out tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So don't hold the left stick down hard for three seconds - because that is what shuts off the motors.
2019-3-14
Use props
Federico e Luca
lvl.2
France

Thank you both for your answers...

@Labroides: is possible to set engine to idle pushing down throttle for less than 3 seconds? I tried sometimes but I noted that for a second just after landing, engines tries to compensate and remain at a speed that could retain P4P at that altitude, so they compensate its weight, so maybe for 2 seconds they go to idle and after 3 seconds they shuts down?

@Cetacean : nice answer, it is very similar to what I'd like to try... but maybe you don't cut off engines with the only use of left throttle down... maybe do you use the double joystick pushed into inside down of RC?
2019-3-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

After it lands, immediately turn loose of left stick, and it should idle.  
2019-3-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought home point was only updated when you either told it to or when you turn the AC on, not for motor power up or am i wrong as usual?
2019-3-14
Use props
Federico e Luca
lvl.2
France

Bashy Posted at 3-14 20:02
I thought home point was only updated when you either told it to or when you turn the AC on, not for motor power up or am i wrong as usual?

Unfortunately not... after engine start up and takeoff, RC says "Home point has been updated, please check it on the map"
2019-3-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Federico e Luca Posted at 3-14 06:00
Thank you both for your answers...

@Labroides: is possible to set engine to idle pushing down throttle for less than 3 seconds? I tried sometimes but I noted that for a second just after landing, engines tries to compensate and remain at a speed that could retain P4P at that altitude, so they compensate its weight, so maybe for 2 seconds they go to idle and after 3 seconds they shuts down?

Aloha Federico,

Yes, Labroides has the answer.  Put the left stick back to neutral before 3 seconds are up.  As I was landing a the upper flats, I realized that if I held the stick down for much longer that the engine would shut off.  Suddenly, it all came back to me.  I have not done what I described for a while.

On the up side, testing for the answer to your concern, I noticed that the landing pads have been weed wacked.  First time in months.  We have our remote landing pads back for a month or so!  

There is real long Pili Grass up there, 3-4 feet long.  When you try to land there without the weed-wacking, the tall grass blows away first and then when you try to take off, at least a couple get sucked back down by the props and get tangled.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-14 20:02
I thought home point was only updated when you either told it to or when you turn the AC on, not for motor power up or am i wrong as usual?

Aloha Bashy,

Not to worry, we all get it wrong sometimes.  The reset of the Home Point can be a problem though.  When I do that remote landing for altitude, I have to realize that the Home Point changes.  Then you have to reset the Home Point location to based on the Remote Controller, not the Aircraft.  And to keep it safer, make sure you have a clear shot at getting home!

We call that "Hold your Okole!"

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There is a risk if you leave the motors running after the aircraft lands, that it may flip over. The aircraft does not know that it is on the ground, and a slight positional reading change of GPS data may make it try to move slightly to one side and cause the flip.
2019-3-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 3-15 00:16
Aloha Bashy,

Not to worry, we all get it wrong sometimes.  The reset of the Home Point can be a problem though.  When I do that remote landing for altitude, I have to realize that the Home Point changes.  Then you have to reset the Home Point location to based on the Remote Controller, not the Aircraft.  And to keep it safer, make sure you have a clear shot at getting home!

Thanks, i suppose as its something i have not had to do, i am unaware of this , least i know now I have always, well, mostly always just landed and used left stick down till shut off and 99% of the time  used the auto take off.

2019-3-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-15 20:06
Thanks, i suppose as its something i have not had to do, i am unaware of this , least i know now  I have always, well, mostly always just landed and used left stick down till shut off and 99% of the time  used the auto take off.

Aloha Bashy,

Me too!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As you land just very gently pull back on the throttle stick until the blades spin slower but not enough for lift then release the stick. The motors will remain idle with the drone on the ground. Pulling back as far as possible for a few seconds upon landing will disarm the motors.
2019-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules