Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Landing Protection auto disables when using RTH
408 8 2019-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TRiPWiRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 560472 ft
Australia

I've just noticed that when I use Return To Home, Landing Protection disables itself (the sensors icon on the app goes completely red). I definitely have Landing Protection enabled in settings.

It occurs the moment the aircraft gets to the point above the landing zone (home point). As soon as it begins to descend, the sensors icon goes red.

Is this something I'm doing wrong, or am I confused as to how Landing Protection works? If I use Active Track (for example), the obstacle sensors all work correctly.

I'm using an M2 Zoom.

2019-3-14
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.3
Australia

Additional -

I've refreshed the firmware on both my Mavic and controller, reset all settings and reconfigured them (ensuring all sensor options are switched on).

I've re-calibrated the sensors using DJI Assistant, along with re-calibrating the compass and IMU.

Re-tested RTH and the same issue occurs. I'm using P (positioning) mode on the flight modes.

The thing is, I'm not sure if this is what it's supposed to do or not. Usually, I land manually but thought today I'd try the RTH landing. That's when I noticed the sensors were switched off and showing as all red on the iPhone app.
2019-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 7737779 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

It seems to be across all the Mavic 2, I have the zoom as well and also get the sensors switch off when landing
2019-3-15
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.3
Australia

Suren Posted at 3-15 08:25
It seems to be across all the Mavic 2, I have the zoom as well and also get the sensors switch off when landing

Ah! Thanks for that. I have only had my Zoom for a short while. Whilst I do manually land, I did use RTH when I first got it and was sure the sensors stayed on then. I found Precision Landing to not be so precise and it nearly hit our verandah roof instead of returning to the actual landing point (about 3 meters away). The obstacle sensors stopped it though. Since then, I've manually landed.

Now, I've noticed the sensor icon is red and not sure if they actually work like that any more. I believe it's changed since the latest firmware update but honestly, I can't be bothered downgrading to the previous one to check!
2019-3-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

in theory it should not require landing protection on RTH landing.  it took off form said location and is returning to said location, however i dont understand DJi not keeping it enabled just in case something changes.. i mean real world.

seems like what team was working on mavic 2 didn't get to finish their work, alot of oddities like this in the mavic 2 line.   landing lights, precision take off/landing, landing protection, dynamic home point among a few other things seem unfinished or not included.
2019-3-15
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.3
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 3-15 15:07
in theory it should not require landing protection on RTH landing.  it took off form said location and is returning to said location, however i dont understand DJi not keeping it enabled just in case something changes.. i mean real world.

seems like what team was working on mavic 2 didn't get to finish their work, alot of oddities like this in the mavic 2 line.   landing lights, precision take off/landing, landing protection, dynamic home point among a few other things seem unfinished or not included.

That makes sense but I’ve seen RTH be quite out in its precision (as my near verandah hit showed). I always ensure the home location is set before heading off yet it would occasionally get it wrong. I manual land mostly now.

I agree that it seems like something that isn’t enabled when it should be. DJI talk a lot about safe flying and operation of their drones, but then switch off a safety feature when it’s auto-landing. Seems weird to me!
2019-3-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

TRiPWiRE Posted at 3-15 19:45
That makes sense but I’ve seen RTH be quite out in its precision (as my near verandah hit showed). I always ensure the home location is set before heading off yet it would occasionally get it wrong. I manual land mostly now.

I agree that it seems like something that isn’t enabled when it should be. DJI talk a lot about safe flying and operation of their drones, but then switch off a safety feature when it’s auto-landing. Seems weird to me!

the thing about landing protection is, it may not have stopped that hit with your verandah....  hard to even know what lnading protection is doing behind the scenes but out best guess is its checking the surface below it to make sure its solid and mostly level.  its also supposed to help prevent water landings but its accuracy with waterbody detection sucks.  and its accuracy in general sucks with landing protection, i had it tell me parking lot was unsuitable for landing for reasons i can only wildly and blindly guess but my windshield on my car passed the check and it landed on it..  

i think what you really looking for is precision takeoff/landing..  and on mavic 2 is it very hit or miss from what i read..   apparently auto enabled and all that, however does not seem to be very precise all the time, it really needs the method prior drones used like the mavic air which seems much more reliable and exceptionally accurate, mine is within 1-2 inches usually as a result of it slightly pushing itself to side as it touches down.  
2019-3-15
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.3
Australia

1-2 inches accuracy would be great. I was out yesterday and this morning testing with a hi-vis, 75cm landing pad and RTH. In ten landings, 4 were completely off the target, 3 were half on / half off of the landing pad and the remaining 3 were pretty good.

I really think I'll stick to manual landing!
2019-3-16
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1753100 ft
United States

I want to say landing protection is disabled when using RTH, at least when using Precision take-off/landing, which I almost always do. Landing protection's more for when you tell it to land and it's not sure that's such a great idea. ;)
2019-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules