No Fly Zone Clarity Please
1519 13 2019-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kestrel Scot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 71250 ft
United Kingdom

Can somebody from DJI take a look at this please for me and just clarify.
I have a Mavic Air, am CAA approved, Fully Insured and have a business based in Lossiemouth, Scotland, recently the drone laws changed, I have attached an updated map for the area.

Recently I had an issue where my drone was grounded for an aerial property shoot near Inverness Airport, however i managed to unlock the grid coordinates via DJI and completed the job.

I now have a job at Dunbar Street, Lossiemouth ...the property is between the two eastern flight paths on the map. Does this mean that no take off can be achieved from within the entire blue circular perimetre ...or can you still apply to dji to unlcok the co-ordinates like before ?

The rules laid out to stop the 1 fool in a million is going to affect technology evolving and potentially ruin the careers of good law abiding quality drone pilots.
The rules should be different for CAA approved pilots who have been on the course and paid a lot of money to work commercially.

54520916_2036595819742125_2802053139404947456_n.jpg
2019-3-15
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

There is no attachment but I'm also interested how new GEO system is working. before I had only one red circle around airport where I was not able fly. Now with updates this changed and I have there more coulours yellow, blue...etc and around airport red one. I suppose that only red one is critical and the others could be unlocked? @DJI could you please point us to some documentation of this new system?
2019-3-15
Use props
Kestrel Scot
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DH_Pilot Posted at 3-15 02:16
There is no attachment but I'm also interested how new GEO system is working. before I had only one red circle around airport where I was not able fly. Now with updates this changed and I have there more coulours yellow, blue...etc and around airport red one. I suppose that only red one is critical and the others could be unlocked? @DJI could you please point us to some documentation of this new system?

attached now
2019-3-15
Use props
Kestrel Scot
lvl.4
United Kingdom

there's no current videos on youtube or information online from what i can find ...however a local drone pilot to me yesterday posted the following on his facebook page

"Yesterday the government introduced a new rule for the use of drones.
The new defined FRZs (Flight Restricted Zones) will become coincident with the Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ) which can be either 2 nautical miles or 2.5 nautical miles radius depending on runway length. The new RPZ (Runway Protection Zones) will extend from the end of the runway out to 5 kilometres and will be 1 kilometre wide.
It is illegal to fly any drone at ANY time within these restricted zones unless you have permission from air traffic control at the airport or, if air traffic control is not operational, from the airport itself.
2019-3-15
Use props
Kestrel Scot
lvl.4
United Kingdom

here is a screenshot from 5 minutes ago, my reception in the back yard is not great hence only 6 satellites but its clearly giving me the option to take off from commerce street, lossiemouth which is between the two eastern runway approaches.

it seems to me that you can fly within the blue circle (original post map), the critical areas seem to be the runways and approaches which are 1km wide and 5km long which makes sense for planes approaching runways.

this urgently needs clarity ...can we take off ? ...if not can we unlock the grid reference co ordinates as before.
2019-3-15
Use props
Kestrel Scot
lvl.4
United Kingdom

here is the map within DJI GO 4 app ...all updates have been done

2019-3-15
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

The link below would be a good place to start. On this same page there is also an FAQ.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/introductionhttps://www.dji.com/flysafe
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Kestrel Scot. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. You may request to unlock the zone if it's on the restricted area. As long as you were able to provide documentation that you are allowed to fly there, you may just go to this link to have the request https://www.dji.com/flysafe/custom-unlock or send an email here for further details and instruction to flysafe@dji.com. Thank you for your support.
2019-3-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 3-15 10:53
The link below would be a good place to start. On this same page there is also an FAQ.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/introductionhttps://www.dji.com/flysafe

I am not sure how much one can trust DJI's Flysafe Geo-Map for planning in advance.

I know there is a small Municipal Airport near where I fly.  If I were to fly 800-feet further to East than I do, my drone would be in what was a previously flagged area.  

DJI's Flysafe Geo-Map does not show any restriction for area, nor does it flag the Airport.

Can switch to Satellite view and clearly see airport's paved runways.  Passed by airport a few days back at night, and runway was very well lit-up with marker lights.  Definitely active.
2019-3-15
Use props
Kestrel Scot
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-15 13:17
Hello and good day Kestrel Scot. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. You may request to unlock the zone if it's on the restricted area. As long as you were able to provide documentation that you are allowed to fly there, you may just go to this link to have the request https://www.dji.com/flysafe/custom-unlock or send an email here for further details and instruction to . Thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen and thanks for the response.

What I'm mainly confused about is that I live within the circled area at Lossiemouth in between the two eastern runway flight paths, I powered up the drone in the backyard yesterday and it clearly shows that it was "ready to go" ...seeing as there has been so much said that you can't fly within 5km of an airport I was just trying to establish whether this 5km is only taking into account the flight paths or the actual whole 5km radius ...in which case i'm wondering why my software says "ready to go"

2019-3-15
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

To be safe I'd put unlock requests in for both extended airport restricted zones (blue areas) as there is some discrepancy between different map providers. Also one less distraction when flying and filming.
2019-3-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kestrel Scot Posted at 3-15 22:58
Hi Stephen and thanks for the response.

What I'm mainly confused about is that I live within the circled area at Lossiemouth in between the two eastern runway flight paths, I powered up the drone in the backyard yesterday and it clearly shows that it was "ready to go" ...seeing as there has been so much said that you can't fly within 5km of an airport I was just trying to establish whether this 5km is only taking into account the flight paths or the actual whole 5km radius ...in which case i'm wondering why my software says "ready to go"

Keep in mind that DJI’s geo fencing does not necessarily line up directly with government regulations.  So just because your drone will take off, that doesn’t mean that it is legal to do so in that area.  
2019-3-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-15 14:35
I am not sure how much one can trust DJI's Flysafe Geo-Map for planning in advance.

I know there is a small Municipal Airport near where I fly.  If I were to fly 800-feet further to East than I do, my drone would be in what was a previously flagged area.  

DJI’s map is fine for planning to see  where DJI will allow you to take off.  However, their geofencing solution is not directly aligned with any regulations.  So you will need to use another source for planning to determine if flying in that area will be allowable under the regulations.
2019-3-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 3-16 09:56
DJI’s map is fine for planning to see  where DJI will allow you to take off.  Howeve, their geofencing solution is not directly aligned with any regulations.  So you will need to use another source for planning to determine if flying in that area will be allowable under the regulations.

In this case, by DJI's map it looks like I could take off from middle of Municipal Airport's runway, or anywhere around area.  Which indicates to me, for planning best use FAA's App.  

Although I can see where it is worth checking DJI's map before hand to make sure DJI hasn't locked out area by mistake.  False Positives and False Negatives?
2019-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules