1080P Video with Sat problems
2417 19 2014-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info
lvl.2

United States

Hi all,

I am a new owner of the Phantom 2 Vision+ and I am loving it.   Being new I was very careful to follow all instructions before my first flight.  I took the time to watch videos and read as much as I could to understand the process.

My first flight was not that great.   I had all green with 7 sats.  Not the best but read on to understand.   With 7 stats I lift over and hover.   15 feet at most.   I hit the record button and start small drifts left and right and up and down.  I notice my sats dropping 7-6-5-6-7-6-5 pretty rapidly.  I never made the connect at the time.  I hovered for a while more and had what I thought was a stable 7.  I hit record again and pushed up to maybe 80ft.   7-6-5-4.  Flashing yellow I quickly make a decent.  I hover still flashing yellow now trying to get it straight (first flight remember).   I gain back 7 again and I am green.   I move away from me trying to figure out the controls.  Yellow again... this time I was confused.  It was back and away from me and forward was back and left was right.  You get the idea.   Well I let off the controls as it drifted away from me.  Tried not to panic as it continued on course and crashed into an objected and hit the ground.   I thought, holy crap,  I just broken my $1500 phantom in 5 minutes.   Luckily for me just a prop.  I replaced and made a few more small flights.  All with the same problem.  I figured it was where I was.

The next day by a stroke of luck I configured the camera to 720P 30fps.   I figured at the new location I would be recording more video and wanted smaller files.   The new spot was great.   8-10 sats all day.  No drops.  Great videos.  Great time.  No crashes.

3rd day same thing.  8-10 sats.   Beautiful vids.  No crashes.

4th day.   I want to record a sunset.  Before I go out I set it back to 1080p.  I wanted the best quality I could get.   When I got to the same spot I have been using for the last 2 days the problem was back.  7 sats.  With much more experience now I land.  Recalibrate the compass.  Go up again.  Same thing.  Hmmmmm....  bad day?    Cloudy?    Since my experience was much higher I decide to push through.  I hit about 200ft hovering while recording the sunset.   All the while 7-6-5  7-6-5. Briefly flashing yellow and losing control and then back again.   I am nervous to go any higher.  I come back down to about 50 ft and hover scratching my head wondering what has changed.   Then it hit me.  The damn resolution.   I stop recording.  Right away I jump to 8 sats and im completely stable.   I go into the settings and switch to 720p again and hit records.  Not a single problem.  8-10 sats and rock stable.    Wow... what a design flaw I say to myself.   

Well that's my story.   I did some google searches and found a few hits about this.  None with a conclusive way to resolve this.   Can anyone share the same story with me or is mine just defective?   How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.  
2014-11-10
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

P2 Vision or is it a P2 vision+?
2014-11-10
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-11 02:08
P2 Vision or is it a P2 vision+?

P2 Vision+
2014-11-10
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Ahhhh OK you said P2 Vision in your OP.
Sadly a very common problem with the P2 vision +,  send back for repairs/mods.

Also see previous posts about this issue here

2014-11-10
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-11 04:12
Ahhhh OK you said P2 Vision in your OP.
Sadly a very common problem with the P2 vision +,  send back ...

I edited my mistake.  sorry about that.   No link in your post.   

That's a real bummer to have to send it in for repair.   

Thanks for the info.
2014-11-10
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

LIPHANTOM Posted at 2014-11-11 04:20
I edited my mistake.  sorry about that.   No link in your post.   

That's a real bummer to have t ...

Yeah I posted no link because you should easily find many upset ( rightly so IMO ) posts here about the Sat dropping issue on the P2V+
2014-11-10
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-11 04:24
Yeah I posted no link because you should easily find many upset ( rightly so IMO ) posts here abou ...

Oh I gotcha.  In the world of hyperlinks I was thinking "Here" was one.  

Thanks.  I already came across one or two.   10 weeks return time from DJI to fix my new Phantom?  Yikes!!  Looks like I will be modding it myself.

2014-11-10
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Yeah many people will opt for fixing the issue themselves due to the outrageous turnaround but sadly that also means that DJI will not flip the bill for their negligence to correct a known issue.
2014-11-10
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-11 04:36
Yeah many people will opt for fixing the issue themselves due to the outrageous turnaround but sadly ...

Very poor customer service to say the least.  I notice in all the threads they are also completely absent and never reply.

Maybe your right,  I should make them pay for their negligence.  Its going to hurt to be without it for so long though.  
2014-11-10
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Cant you send it back or take it back to who ever and get a re fund Dji have meant to have fixed the problem with the newest PV2+.
2014-11-10
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-11 04:46
Cant you send it back or take it back to who ever and get a re fund Dji have meant to have fixed the ...

I bought it directly from DJI though Amazon 1 week ago.  I would have thought I have the latest one.   I did have to update the firmware and run updates on everything.  So maybe I got an older one.
2014-11-10
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately, you do not know what sits an a distributers warehouse and for how long.  Amazon is great about returns.  I would contact them.  I am not sure that this is a "known" issue.  There has be discussions concerning using additional shielding under the GPS to speed up the lock times.  I always have my camera set at 1080p.  I have not had the issue with satellite drops on record.  Solar storms are more of a problem.  I do not deny that you are having issues.  That is why I would either return it for an exchange or send it to one of our Phantom Service centers who have less delay times for service than does the LA center.
2014-11-10
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Ha ha Ted if it is not a known issue then why has the latest  one got a bigger sheilding pad , ferrites fitted to camera cables ect ect .
LIPHANTOM send it back and make sure you get the latest version with all the updates done to the inside .
Check out this
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28924
2014-11-10
Use props
cheong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2778799 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Does the new P2V+ solved this issue ?
2014-11-10
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

cheong Posted at 2014-11-11 07:16
Does the new P2V+ solved this issue ?

Supposedly yes it is fixed with the newer version,  they added a larger shielding pad and appllied ferrit rings to cables. So DJI knew about it but did not put resources aside to fix it on the predecessor which is still being sold (example case here)
2014-11-11
Use props
osborn.todd
New

United States

I have had my P2V+ v2( the newest version of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus) now for 2 weeks and it fly's flawless.  When I received it I did not do any firmware updates with the thought that it should be up to date and I am glad that I didn't after reading some other posts.  I have not experienced any of the satellite reception issue's as some have reported so I'm not sure if this is due to design changes or what.  I also ordered mine on a Wednesday from DJI directly and received it on Monday.  I originally planned on ordering it from Amazon but because I ordered it about the same time the new version came out I was worried that Amazon was still shipping the old version until they used it up.
2014-11-11
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

osborn.todd@gma Posted at 2014-11-11 23:18
I have had my P2V+ v2( the newest version of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus) now for 2 weeks and it fly's ...

Well I wish I knew before ordering from DJI with Amazon fulfilling it I would receive a Phantom 2 Vision+ with a design flaw.

So now I have a choice.  Send my brand new Phantom away for 10-12 weeks to get fixed or do the mod myself.  On that note has anyone tried this with success?

2014-11-11
Use props
cheong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2778799 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-11 22:13
Supposedly yes it is fixed with the newer version,  they added a larger shielding pad and appllied ...

Hi Swomilan, thanks for the update, I have ordered my P2V+ waiting for delivery, I have never fly a phantom before, do you think I should take out the gimbal and camera for my first few flights, I do not want to spend a bomb on the gimbal if i crash ? Do you recommend the camera guard as well ?
2014-11-11
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

cheong Posted at 2014-11-12 07:21
Hi Swomilan, thanks for the update, I have ordered my P2V+ waiting for delivery, I have never fly  ...

Well there are two sides to this.
Pro: Removing it will give you certainly more room for error, especially cost wise
Con: it's a bit tricky to re-install the gimbal and you can risk damage while doing it. Also you lose telemetry if you remove the Gimbal so learn what the LED codes are.

2014-11-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

LIPHANTOM Posted at 2014-11-12 07:09
Well I wish I knew before ordering from DJI with Amazon fulfilling it I would receive a Phantom 2 V ...

I had some problems with GPS dropping out so I bought a copper sheet, cut it to fit the inside shell and installed it.  Now I get solid GPS numbers, usually the same as predicted with this program.
http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/
As far as losing GPS while running the camera at 1080p,  I have not had any problem with GPS dropout.
2014-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules