hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-19 08:25
read #71  "...and broken video feed...."
don`t start again with your NEVER, read my txt "....Ofcourse you did not...."

In my country you would be known as a cute whore, read #71 it doesn’t say in that post there was no video , broken video and it also doesn’t mention until very late in log that there was video drop out.

I think most can fly by using arrow on map or arrow on radar, as somebody like you who obviously puts himself up there as some kind of Atti expert.

But from my experience flying in Atti is incredibly tough , in VLOS it is easier to fly by sight simply because you can see which way the craft moves, as regards using small red arrow in Atti mode, try it in Atti mode without looking at your drone it’s almost impossible and that’s from someone who has some experience flying Atti and done part of my test in Atti mode which is a requirement.

But you seem to lord yourself up there maybe some day you might show us how it’s done, armchair Atti flyers are usually in their own minds the best Atti flyers out there.

You obviously are having a real hard time with figuring out what Landing in a safe place means, so maybe when your learning Atti mode you start there .
2019-3-19
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-17 10:31
It’s my guess that you picked up magnetic interference on the ground, so only you will know for sure, I can see you took off from close to some buildings , would you have been close to rebar concrete metal objects ?
You may not and most likely didn’t get compass warning and what happens in these situations I will try to explain below.

That is a very good explanation of what takes place.  I learned from it as well!
2019-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

M Stuart K Posted at 3-19 11:47
That is a very good explanation of what takes place.  I learned from it as well!

Yeah it is probably the most common accident with older dji drones, I think sealing of the compass in Mavic Pro and Mavic PP was not great and the fact that there was two compasses also meant that although one compass got mag interference it was also possible for second one to also get compass problems.
Dji with Mavic Air and M2 have reverted to one single compass which is much better sealed so less chance of this occurring, this can clearly be seen in numbers being very few of these situations showing up in these new craft, sometimes trying to fit extra redundancy can backfire .
2019-3-19
Use props
akman2014
lvl.2

United States

Well, I'll be!  Thanks everyone here for your help.

Dear Customer,
Thanks for your patience. This is Dora from data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

The unfortunate incident that occurred to your aircraft has been confirmed as a warranty case according to our data analysis.

If the aircraft cannot be recovered, we would like to offer you a replacement, Mavic Pro Platinum aircraft (without the remote controller and battery charger). Please kindly send us the following information:
Shipping address:
Contact name:
Phone number:
2019-3-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

akman2014 Posted at 3-19 19:44

Dear Customer,

Hi akman,

Good news for you!  and again DJI proofs to be a good company.

So no magnetic interference pick-up at your takeoff position,  if this was the case errors (and other type of errors) would have be seen direct after the start of this flight and not after few minutes flying at the height were the errors started.

As said, this looks the same as link in #51. (suddenly errors in flight....warranty claim as well)

Many happy landings with your new drone,

cheers,
JJB

2019-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-19 23:26
Hi akman,

What a fool you are, always trying to cause trouble, you have not one modicum of evidence that mag interference wasn’t picked up on the ground, remember your the guy who comes here telling others it’s ok to take off in opti mode and then ridicule them for taking off with low satellites, you tell others to take over and fly in extreme conditions in Atti mode, but don’t declare if you yourself have ever been in the situation and successfully flown home in Atti mode, you tell Us it’s better to try to fly home in Atti mode rather than land safely.
I looked at your analysis last week to another member where you insisted that his crash was caused by a malfunction because of three motor obstruction, when it was as clear as the driven snow the craft had crashed and motors were obstructed.

You hold yourself on a very high pedestal, so maybe you can tell us what happened or can you . I don’t think You can.

I’m fed up with your slants against me, you done itto another member on this forum who has now left because of your taunts made about him not to him, just as you have done in your post above.
If you want to say something to someone thensay it to them not try to be the snake in the grass .
Your troll baiting needs to stop, it’s not that long ago you started a whole thread because I said 3.7 volts battery should be the safe landing for drones, you got that one wrong as well. So time for you to stop now .
2019-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dear Customer,

Great news, it shows when there is a problem with some malfunction dji will always cop up, good luck and fly safe .
2019-3-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Hi akman,

So no magnetic interference pick-up at your takeoff position,  if this was the case errors (and other type of errors) would have be seen direct after the start of this flight and not after few minutes flying at the height were the errors started.

Exactly
Had there been magnetic interference at point of takeoff, then flight logs would also show magnetic intereference from begining.  With only two exceptions.
1) Drone's compass (three magnetic field sesnors of X,Y,&Z axis) is faulty / broken / messed-up.
2) Drone's compass was not properly calibrated sometime prior to flight.

In case of #1, that falls to DJI's POST (Power on Self Test) procedure to detect.
In case of #2, that falls to both Pilot and DJI.   

Why DJI too?  Because drone would know last compass calibration failed.  As such, drone should not change to Good to Go ("Green").  At most drone should be locked from start of flight in ATTI mode until compass is properly calibrated.  Especially since drones are so dependent upon a perfectly functioning compass.

2019-3-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Hi akman,

JJB - So no magnetic interference pick-up at your takeoff position,

OP - So, new drome, Mavic Pro Platinum.  Had a heckuva time loading firmware, finally sorted that.  Drone flew perfectly on 8 or 9 flights.

Another factor in this case.  OP (akman2014) has a Mavic Pro P, a drone with two built-in compasses.  From all testing I have done with Mavic Pro P involving sources of mangetic interference, together two compasses provide additional detection.  One compass may be partially effected, while other compass is totally effected.  Given drone's critical dependency on working compass, the MPp's redudant compass is a huge plus.  Can't say same for M2 & MA.

Two examples show how MPp having two compasses can be effected and not effected by merely changing position over a source magnetic intereference.

In first image MPp is centered over sheet metal strip and result is one Red bar and one semi-short Yellow bar.
In second image MPp is moved towards end of sheet metal strip and result is one Yellow bar and one short Green bar.

Seen similar results where source of magnetic interference is vertical, wall of a metal building.

2019-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m amazed at some of the most utterly ridiculous statements people can make.

Mavic Pro MPP because they have two compasses that you are less likely to have compass problems with these craft than the likes of MavAir and M2 .

But we all know around here almost no problems with crashes as a result of compass problem with both MavAir and M2. I have seen literally 100’s of crashes and drone failures as a result of compass in Mavic Pro and MPP , I have seen 1 with M2 what I have seen with MavAir you could count on one hand.

So surely these drones with one compass are a lot safer a lot more reliable etc, and I would expect this with newer technology. Owning all of these craft I certainly know the one that needs serious checking before flying.

I have NEVER seen one report around here where a Mavic Pro or a MPP Have been saved by second compass, in fact , because there have been hundreds of compass problems that have led to crashes in both these drones, surely we would have seen some when they get compass problem when flying that the second compass would take over. But sadly no, what does second compass do, I know laugh at first compass and agree to go down with the ship.

It’s very easy to work it out , you are over 100 times more likely to have a compass problem if you fly a Mavic Pr or MPP , than if you fly an M2.

But the most ironic thing about that post is , it is posted on a thread where MPP went down because of compass problem, and what happened to the second compass, well that’s the six million dollar question.

I don’t want to alarm anyone who flys Mavic Pro because I have one myself, if you take care of your compass and craft you won’t have these problems .
2019-3-20
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-20 09:38
JJB - So no magnetic interference pick-up at your takeoff position,

OP - So, new drome, Mavic Pro Platinum.  Had a heckuva time loading firmware, finally sorted that.  Drone flew perfectly on 8 or 9 flights.

sick colors bro !!
2019-3-20
Use props
akman2014
lvl.2

United States

Seems like the compass problems could be worked out in the firmware. Shouldn't be hard to write some code that lets the compasses act independently if one glitches out.  Surprised they are still selling a drone with a known fault that causes random flyaways. But happy they stood by warranty and accepted the fault.
2019-3-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

High visibility neon-green color was chosen for VLOS.  When I returned first MPp for repair/replacement due to problems I stripped neon-green skins off.  When I had to returned second MPp for repair/replacement, , thus ending up with third MPp - I gave up on idea of any skins.  
HedgeTrimmer now flies naked.  
2019-3-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

akman2014 Posted at 3-20 20:19
Seems like the compass problems could be worked out in the firmware. Shouldn't be hard to write some code that lets the compasses act independently if one glitches out.  Surprised they are still selling a drone with a known fault that causes random flyaways. But happy they stood by warranty and accepted the fault.

Glad DJI did stand behind their MPp and you are getting a replacement.  Yeah!  

About 6? months back, think somebody posted a Mavic Pro flight log where drone did attempt to switch from failing compass to backup compass.  But there was some other problem, thus switching compasses did not help.  Thing is, unless Mavic Pro crashes, Mavic Pros may from time to time switch from primary to backup compass during a flight, and few pilots would notice.  Being few people dig into every single flight log.  (I sure don't.  And didn't buy MPp to play data analyst engineer - minus needed tools and sources of information required.)

In your case, theorizing drone had some other compass related problem**.   Without black-box data from drone, there is no way to tell whether both compasses failed, main core (processor) board problem involving compass data inputs, problem switching to backup compass, or firmware / data was compromised due to programming glitch resulting in bad compass info from both compasses***.   Would be interesting for DJI to provide details as to what they found with their data analysis.

** Believe you had flown from your wooden deck before without problems?
*** You had trouble loading Firmware on your new Mavic Pro Platinum, perhaps something didn't get loaded correctly?

As for compasses and firmware, IMO what needs work is:
1) Firmware choosing which compass to use as primary.  After seeing my MPp choose one of compasses with more magnetic interference than other compass.
2) Firmware disable spin-up when either compass is in Red (showing major magnetic interference).  Possibly even force a different takeoff spot based on GPS coordinates?

And possibily...

.) Firmware only allow takeoff in ATTI mode when both compasses are in Yellow (showing some magnetic interference).
.) When two compasses are not in close agreement (xx%), one compass is in Yellow and other is in Green, force pilot to acknowledge potential for a problem before drone will spin-up.

2019-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

akman2014 Posted at 3-20 20:19
Seems like the compass problems could be worked out in the firmware. Shouldn't be hard to write some code that lets the compasses act independently if one glitches out.  Surprised they are still selling a drone with a known fault that causes random flyaways. But happy they stood by warranty and accepted the fault.

I suppose they are old technology, so don’t think there will be many more FW updates, I think dji realised a long time ago, that putting two badly sealed compass turned out to be more of hinderence than a redundancy, and they totally learned there lesson almost no compass problems with M2
Good luck with the new craft .
2019-3-20
Use props
fanse725225b
lvl.3

Taiwan

hallmark007 Posted at 3-18 03:08
I think it is advisable always to land rather than fly home if this can be done  safely when craft goes into Atti mode , not try to fly back home. It does say in the manual to have contingency plans for such situations when available .

In Akman's case, he was flying beyond half a mile of dense woodland. Even if he found a safe clearing to land, as soon as he dipped below the treeline he would lose radio line-of-sight and not be able to command it to descend further. He just wouldn't be able to land it, no matter how much he wanted to.

The only options he had were to CSC above the treeline and let it drop, or fly the bird home.

2019-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fanse725225b Posted at 3-22 06:21
In Akman's case, he was flying beyond half a mile of dense woodland. Even if he found a safe clearing to land, as soon as he dipped below the treeline he would lose radio line-of-sight and not be able to command it to descend further. He just wouldn't be able to land it, no matter how much he wanted to.

The only options he had were to CSC above the treeline and let it drop, or fly the bird home.

Fortunately that’s not the only option, if he disconnects radio with no gps craft will just land, while I say land safely, in this situation it would have been safer to land in the trees than head for the road, flying home was not an option for him, as he wasn’t sure what to do,which can be seen by the fact he lost gps at 200 ft and had done very little and Aircraft was soon at over 2000 ft.

2019-3-22
Use props
djiuser_GUuIWZu0qdHp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 309006 ft
United States

I'm glad that this unfortunate incident had a happy ending with DJI providing great support.

I hope that the OP is back in the air soon to enjoy the warmer weather coming.
2019-3-22
Use props
BRentAP03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74872 ft
United States

Man sorry to hear that...
2019-3-22
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-18 03:27
Well, it all depends on the situation where and when the drone enters ATTI mode.

If you are capable of flying it back (not too much wind ect) absolutely not a problem to fly it back home in ATTI.

Be interesting to see how many on here can actually fly Atti mode. I think the figures will be quite shocking....or not, from reading a lot of posts.
2019-3-29
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dear Customer,

Good to hear and another feather in the doom sayers of DJI.
2019-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules