Color problem /missing
2576 13 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andreibaicu
lvl.1
Belgium

Hello !

I've just bought my first dji drone, so i am new here. Really like that little thing!

I was ready to love it when i began shooting, but i was really decieved; there are missing colours in the darker areas and on some tints, which make some most of the footage unusable as there is no color information in most areas.

I've seen on several forums online reporting these problems (most from mid-2018), but still no definitive solutions.

So i've already tried the tips i found online;
-Happens in normal and D-cinelike modes
-All the settings combinations in custom mode
-Manual white balance
-Resetting the camera settings
-Hard reset of the mavic
-Grading the footage (even bumping the saturation to extreme values, not one sight of colour)

So, what can be my next step ? I still have some time left to return it and get my money back, but i really want to make it work because it's the perfect drone for me !

Thanks a lot for your help !
2019-3-19
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Post an example of your problem.
2019-3-19
Use props
andreibaicu
lvl.1
Belgium

Grumpy D Posted at 3-19 07:27
Post an example of your problem.

2019-3-19
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

Need the original.  Are these from, your phone/tablet or from SD card?
2019-3-19
Use props
andreibaicu
lvl.1
Belgium

Grumpy D Posted at 3-19 11:43
Need the original.  Are these from, your phone/tablet or from SD card?

They are from the SD card and the internal memory. I've uploaded an example on youtube, you can clearly see that the trees at the top have no colour information. Also take a look at the coulour of the buildings at the end, they gain colour as we get closer to them (at the beginning there is no colour information in them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2SLJsfDuNU&feature=youtu.be
2019-3-19
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Having looked at the video, I can see what you mean by missing colour. A good example is the cars at the end of the street, they all look white at the start of the video, but colour becomes clear as you get closer. Sorry can't help as I am pretty new to this. There are plenty of people here with way more experience, I hope they can help.
2019-3-19
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Looking at this thread, it would appear there is an issue, but no fix   https://forum.dji.com/thread-149265-1-1.html
2019-3-19
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

I’m at a loss, this is no common. I’d return the Mavic, get your money back and buy another one. Not likely to get a new one with the problem. Sorry you’re having these pains, good luck.
2019-3-19
Use props
Natter_07
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199242 ft
United Kingdom

Almost looks like everything at the top is grey and washed out of any colour.

You could raise it under warranty, or just return it and get another one? Would seem like something is faulty on the camera (im no expert!)
2019-3-20
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i see color it's just washed out especially at the beginning .  but the exposure is changing as you fly .. the image gets darker or more contrast and color.  try setting a proper exposure and locking it see how it does flying around.  it's pretty crappy and blocky encoding so that doesn't help us either.
2019-3-20
Use props
andreibaicu
lvl.1
Belgium

Thank you all. I've just returned it to amazon, going to get a new one hoping that it will be better.

Alister, when it comes to exposure settings, i was using manual exposure, 1/60th of a second with nd filters. My first thought was that the filters are at fault, but after doing many tests with and without them, the problem is always there.
2019-3-20
Use props
andreibaicu
lvl.1
Belgium

After doing a bit of research, i've found that many mavic air's share this issue to some extent (some have it just a little bit, some a lot)

Here is the footage another member just posted, look at the mountains and the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2EA4eqhPQ[/url]

Also on practically every video on youtube you can spot this lack of colour.

Well i guess i'm going to think twice before ordering a new mavic air after i get my money back...
2019-3-20
Use props
BRentAP03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74872 ft
United States

Never saw that issue before, I would recommend returning it and getting a new one!
2019-3-20
Use props
Alex1976
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

If you have return it back don't buy another Mavic Air.  All have the same problem.

Probably it is due to a too strong noise reduction algorithm.
I have many videos made with Mavic Air with the same problem of colors lacks.

I think that Mavic Air is a great drone apart from this problem.
But if i could go back in time i would go with a Mavic 2 Pro.
2019-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules