'Z' Axis Bobbing videos are annoying ...
1221 8 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I'm surprised how many gimbal based walkabout videos are appearing with noticeable  'Z' axis bobbing.  I find it very unprofessional and uncomfortable to watch.  It's ok in short clips but on long walkabouts it can be rather annoying.

Many users seem happy to work with this limitation but will complain in depth about other more minor shortcomings (not just the OP).  Gimbals as they are do not combat the 'Z' axis bobbing without the user having to perform funny walks.  There are 'Z' axis accessories but they don't appear to be in use on the current plethora of walkabout videos.  I wonder if a gimbal will appear soon with a 4th motor in the body?

2019-3-19
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m a Steadicam operator by profession (18 years and was taugh by Garrett Brown the inventor ) and i also CRINGE at this bobbing video. There is way, as you suggest, to walk and minimize it, but even that is a skill.

I had the osmo zenumse and had the z axis gadget dji sold.  It is a solid piece of kit ad works ALONG with taking into consideration how you must walk.

I know there is a company that is making one for the OP (other threads on this here) but they are just in the pre order phase. I dont like sending my hard earned money to sit in ones bank to collect interest whilst i wait on the product—i prefer to buy when the product is ready to be shipped.

Designing a fourth axis stabilization on these things has to be cost prohibitive and bulky I would imagine. Maybe an optical stabilizer on the sensors like Sony (and I’m sure others) cameras have (the a99 MKII that i use has really good OIS on its sensor) would help? I’m not an eingineer so i dont know the limitations, but this is a good discussion.
2019-3-19
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Buy Scotty's z axis stabilizer and your problem is fixed.
2019-3-19
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi John.

Although this type of movement can be a little annoying, it's not unique to the Pocket and does effect every 3 axis gimbal system.

I have my issues with the Pocket but the vertical stabilisation isn't one of them.  Reason being is because it's not caused by the Osmo it's just the laws of physics.

I've worked in film and TV where the only way to get shut of such issues is to use a steadycam and a good operator. This is obviously a whole different ball game.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that a steadycam operator still has to walk a bit like a ninja and have a certain amount of crew to help them. It's not as easy as people may think.

Also. There's a reason why in film and TV, rigging is very heavy and has a lot of mass. I've yet to meet a SC operator who hasn't got some sort of issues with their back or knees.

Using anything to help with vertical stabilisation will add another piece of kit into the equation, I don't know of any compact gimbal that accounts for a fourth axis. If anything were added to the Pocket to account for the vertical movement, or any other small camera/phone/actioncam gimbal, it would completely defeat the whole portable aspect in my opinion.

As I've said in other posts and it's only my opinion as someone who uses cameras all the time. I think people have to dial back their expectations of the Pocket, work out what it does best for them and don't do anything with it that it's not good at. I can say this with certainty as someone who has had to dial back their own expectations and swallow their own medicine.

Basically. What I'm saying is that certain techniques can only be done properly in a certain way and within certain budgets. Expecting a certain performance from cheap, but very good equipment, just isn't a reasonable expectation.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-19
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I'll have to agree with Marc and Dave.
It's not just mere mortals that suffer. You can see the same thing happen on TV programs from time to time. Dollies help a lot and other larger bits of powered kit for overhead shots but in general is very difficult to avoid completely. Even with an X/Z axis (Depends on where you look as to what different sites call it) there are optimum ways of handling them that can vary depending on the build and strength of the individual, and covering uneven ground while trying to walk while watching the edges of the screen as well as the framing/focus/lighting on the hoof  is a skill indeed. Thank the heavens the Pocket is a fixed focal length. That would add an additional can of worms regarding stability.
2019-3-19
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I agree with all the points raised.  What I'm trying to say is that there is currently a plethora of walkabout videos with the action bobbing up and down for long periods.   For me it just gets annoying and I stop watching.   I realise that this is a problem regarding physics and is not easily solved - so don't do it!.  Once the excitment of having a gimbal wears off the long walkabouts will hopefully become a thing of the past.
2019-3-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

The Pocket's lack of mass is one of its greatest assets and one of its problems.
2019-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

John Walker Posted at 3-19 14:22
I agree with all the points raised.  What I'm trying to say is that there is currently a plethora of walkabout videos with the action bobbing up and down for long periods.   For me it just gets annoying and I stop watching.   I realise that this is a problem regarding physics and is not easily solved - so don't do it!.  Once the excitment of having a gimbal wears off the long walkabouts will hopefully become a thing of the past.

Have to agree with David, and it looks like walk like an Egyptian is your only man . I found even using Z axis with orignal Osmo unless you do the walk your still going to have the problem.
2019-3-19
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

John walker, yessir i agree with you 100%. These youtubers or whatever that don’t understand how this looks on a larger screen (iPad Pro, home television) or when there are clear, defined horizontal objects in the frame that add attention to the z axis bobbing. It does take skill to walk to shoot with these gadgets but even taking some effort to TRY to minimize the walking is appreciated—most dont even TRY, and this is what I think your point is.

I plan to grab one of these z axis products for the OP once one is out that I can buy right away. The dji z axis for the osmo raw REALLLY worked nicely!! I wish I could use it on the OP...
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules