FOV angle of the FPV camera for Inspire 2 or Matrice 200?
2216 5 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

Hi there!
Does anybody know the field of view (FOV) of the I2 or M200/210 FPV camera?
I am asking this because I was given extra instructions from my local Civil Aviation Authority for the fulfillment of an already granted BVLOS permission:
they request one or two FPV camera(s) with 120° horizontal and 120° vertical FOV angle.
I find this viewing angles quite large and don't think that they can accomplish the desired effect: to get visual contact with conflicting air traffic in order to start an evasive action maneuver. The approaching traffic (that I should avoid when flying BVLOS) just will be a tiny little dot on my FPV screen or vr-goggles.

So is there anyone who has an idea of DJI's FPV camera's FOV?

Always happy landings!
2019-3-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Indeed this spec is nowhere to find ... I would say it is at least 120 deg, but it doesn't really matter. With image quality equal to elevator cab security camera no one would be able to see incoming aircraft until it is right in your face. I can't even see wires and power cables early enough to avoid collision. Rather useless, IMHO ...
2019-3-19
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-19 19:01
Indeed this spec is nowhere to find ... I would say it is at least 120 deg, but it doesn't really matter. With image quality equal to elevator cab security camera no one would be able to see incoming aircraft until it is right in your face. I can't even see wires and power cables early enough to avoid collision. Rather useless, IMHO ...

Hi and thank you very much for your answer!
The wide viewing angle in addition to a low camera resolution is actually not what is needed to adhere to the mentioned local CAA request:
"- a camera according to recommendation NfL 1-
1163-17 Appendix C, page 10 (one or
several cameras with at least 120 x
120 degree viewing angle with sufficient
Resolution and transfer rate)
is appropriate."
So we will try to find more arguments against this request that does obviously not add much or any safety to the conduction of BVLOS flights.

2019-3-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

vr-pilot Posted at 3-21 02:09
Hi and thank you very much for your answer!
The wide viewing angle in addition to a low camera resolution is actually not what is needed to adhere to the mentioned local CAA request:
"- a camera according to recommendation NfL 1-

BVLOS flying is a controversial issue here in Canada as well. New regulations are coming to life in July this year, practically forbidding BVLOS operations at any level (basic or advanced). My guess is that this form of UAV piloting may be allowed in future when a particular aircraft will comply with specific FPV requirements. At this moment DJI's FPV device is not even close to these requirements, hence the legal obstacles you're experiencing.
2019-3-21
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-21 10:30
BVLOS flying is a controversial issue here in Canada as well. New regulations are coming to life in July this year, practically forbidding BVLOS operations at any level (basic or advanced). My guess is that this form of UAV piloting may be allowed in future when a particular aircraft will comply with specific FPV requirements. At this moment DJI's FPV device is not even close to these requirements, hence the legal obstacles you're experiencing.

Finally I got a changed BVLOS release that leaves out the FPV camera(s) with 120° FOV . That change was made possible because of the fact that the UAS is actually only used in rural areas in uncontrolled airspace.
I just have to use a transponder and monitoring system (FANET+FLARM).
By the way:
I asked a local UAS dealer for the I2/M200/210 FPV camera specs: he told me that the FOV actually is 120° and the resolution is 640x480 px.
Thanks for your input and greetings from Germany!
2019-4-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

vr-pilot Posted at 4-2 12:47
Finally I got a changed BVLOS release that leaves out the FPV camera(s) with 120° FOV . That change was made possible because of the fact that the UAS is actually only used in rural areas in uncontrolled airspace.
I just have to use a transponder and monitoring system (FANET+FLARM).
By the way:

Thanks for info, and you're welcome ... BTW, 640x480 pixels is ridiculous. Hope they'll do much better with Inspire 3 ...
2019-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules