10994 22 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dalethrip
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3155161 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why doesn't the Smart Controller record audio when doing a screen recording?  Seems like I may have wasted my money when a phone or tablet connected to the original controller can record audio.  Am I missing something?
2019-3-19
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Does it even contain a microphone to pick up sounds.  A screen recorder does not always record sounds.
2019-3-19
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 3-19 17:12
Does it even contain a microphone to pick up sounds.  A screen recorder does not always record sounds.

Yes.  Microphone is in lower left area of controller.
2019-3-20
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

maybe it is only not able to playback it? As I was trying to put some movie to SM via SD card and it was playing without sound at all. Try to download that cache video from SM to PC if it is really without sound.
2019-3-20
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DH_Pilot Posted at 3-20 02:32
maybe it is only not able to playback it? As I was trying to put some movie to SM via SD card and it was playing without sound at all. Try to download that cache video from SM to PC if it is really without sound.

I moved screen recording from SM to SD then copied to PC...still no audio.  Also tried third party screen recording apps, but they mostly crash and/or don't capture audio even though they offer that option.  So I guess the microphone doesn't work?
2019-3-22
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

dalethrip Posted at 3-22 01:47
I moved screen recording from SM to SD then copied to PC...still no audio.  Also tried third party screen recording apps, but they mostly crash and/or don't capture audio even though they offer that option.  So I guess the microphone doesn't work?

That is strange really.

@DJI,

Could you please give us your statement on this?
2019-3-22
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Did you try turning on "Record Audio with Video Cache" in the General Settings?

My drone is sitting on my desk so I'm concerned about it flying in my den!!!

I tried turning on screen recording but I'm getting a error message.  But I have tons of space both internally and on an sd-card.

2019-3-22
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

ff22 Posted at 3-22 08:58
Did you try turning on "Record Audio with Video Cache" in the General Settings?

My drone is sitting on my desk so I'm concerned about it flying in my den!!!

configure auto delete of cache when full and possibly configure cache size to bigger value by default it is set to 2GB.
2019-3-22
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 3-22 08:58
Did you try turning on "Record Audio with Video Cache" in the General Settings?

My drone is sitting on my desk so I'm concerned about it flying in my den!!!

Yes...found the Record Audio w/ Video Cache yesterday.  Switched it on and did a screen capture while talking at the controller.  Still no audio at least on the SM playback.  

Would this setting allow audio to be captured by the drone?
2019-3-23
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

dalethrip Posted at 3-23 02:45
Yes...found the Record Audio w/ Video Cache yesterday.  Switched it on and did a screen capture while talking at the controller.  Still no audio at least on the SM playback.  

Would this setting allow audio to be captured by the drone?

The DRONE has no audio recording capability.  

What might be possible (total guessing on my part) - is that that setting is a holdover from the regular controller when you used it with a cell/tablet that could separately record sound.  We need some more folks to experiment and maybe a comment from a DJI Mod.  I just looked under Settings and App Permissions for DJI-go- none are requested.  I would have expected location and storage to be part of those necessary and thought maybe permission to use the Mic but NONE are set.  Which I find odd.

Separately - I wonder if one could find a 3rd party audio recorder that would work on the SC???  If nothing - else was test.  

Edited to add:   I downloaded Parrot for the Controller.  I only tried it standalone since the SC won't let me to a screen record.  While it works, I need to check out some tweaks.  I could barely hear my recording.  At least, playing back on the controller and I had the playback volume high.  

2019-3-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi,  thanks for the inquiry. DJI Smart Controller has a built-in speaker and microphone and It has no audio with screen recording same with some devices as well. However, it has audio with cache video when you turn on "Record Audio with Video Cache". We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-3-25
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-25 08:52
Hi,  thanks for the inquiry. DJI Smart Controller has a built-in speaker and microphone and It has no audio with screen recording same with some devices as well. However, it has audio with cache video when you turn on "Record Audio with Video Cache". We do appreciate your understanding.

Thanks for the input.
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

dalethrip Posted at 3-25 12:38
Thanks for the input.

You're most welcome. Please feel free to reach us back if you have further question. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-25
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

Ok, so thread is kindve old but I didnt find many other threads, relating to the SC horrible internal mic, so Im throwing in my 2c to possibly help others out there that want to record audio into the SC without having to deal with merging separate audio files later "in post"...
I like to narrate my flights using a screen recorder as opposed to caching with audio.

I found 2 ways that work, its your preference.
1) DRONEVALLEY custom splitter (USB-C on bottom of SC)
https://www.dronevalley.com/store/p264/www.dronevalley.com/store/p247/Smart_Controller_-_Carrying_Case.html.html

2) Amazon LAPEL MIC (USB- on top of SC)
https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-MAONO-Omnidirectional-Microphone-Recording-Broadcasting/dp/B074BLM973/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=USB+Lavalier+Microphone-MAONO+AU-410+192kHz%2F24bit+Omnidirectional+Lapel+Mic+Hands+Free+Shirt+Collar+Clip-on+Microphone+for+PC+Computer%2C+Laptop%2C+YouTube&qid=1577220938&sr=8-1
2019-12-24
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

IN ADDITION,

At first, I saw DroneValley custom made a TRS (3 rings, not 4) spliiter for mic & headphones, however, I prefer nothing hanging out of USB-C port (Bad exp w/ cell & I leave a magnetic insert in it, thats used for easy charging), so I wanted a USB-A (on top of SC) solution and THIS ONE WORKED JUST FINE...

This is the only one I tested, so sorry if your not after a lapel mic!

NOTE: Drone Valley mentioned that their USB-A audio testing was not successful (search YT, How to add microphone to DJI Smart Controller) so Im not sure if I just got lucky but I want to mention that I SIDELOADED GOOGLE PLAYSTORE (search YT: Google Playstore on Smart Controller by CertifiedAerials) which installed all of Googles services.

I MENTION THIS AS IT MAYVE INSTALLED AN AUDIO DRIVER that was missing for Drone Valleys test? Not sure?

Anyway, so this one works on SC, audio was fine, better than SC by far, and lapel mic isolated ambient noise nicely!!!

Hope this help someone
2019-12-24
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info...will check this out!
2019-12-25
Use props
Ray Jay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2647756 ft
  • >>>
United States

User Error

I originally posted that I was having trouble tranfering video/audio from my SC SD card to a PC, but it turned out is was as issue with my PC, not the SC.  Since I couldn't figure out how to delete my post, I just edited it.  Ooops!   -Ray Jay
2020-5-29
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

This allows you to have high quality audio on your screen capture recordings.

I have the Drone Valley USB C adapter and when you plug it in, it cuts out the internal speaker so you can't hear warnings etc.  I installed Lesser AudioSwitch on the SC and Now I'm able to select internal speaker and usb c mic input. I made a short video on the config.   
2021-5-1
Use props
JosephP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3726421 ft
United States

I'm sure my reply is outdated and irrelevant however that will not discourage me. I was able to record audio while flying a hyperlapse waypoints mission. The audio was extremely muted.
2021-12-3
Use props
JosephP
lvl.2
United States

It records muffled audio and needs an external mic for usable quality.

Edit: bought a mic and ive come to realize if you want quality narration over your beautiful footage then the smart controller will not be participating and you will need a proper standalone mic lav mic. DJI has a proper setup (expensive) or Røde exists. It won’t let me post a pic but it would help show the setup.
2022-4-6
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-3-25 08:52
Hi,  thanks for the inquiry. DJI Smart Controller has a built-in speaker and microphone and It has no audio with screen recording same with some devices as well. However, it has audio with cache video when you turn on "Record Audio with Video Cache". We do appreciate your understanding.

DJI Tony:  What we need is an UPDATED MANUAL that covers all the things for the Smart Controller that have come into being with the new firmware and abilities to work with other drones.
2022-5-26
Use props
JosephP
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-3-25 08:52
Hi,  thanks for the inquiry. DJI Smart Controller has a built-in speaker and microphone and It has no audio with screen recording same with some devices as well. However, it has audio with cache video when you turn on "Record Audio with Video Cache". We do appreciate your understanding.

Yeah your comment just made me everything more confusing. I’m not sure if English is your first language.
3-6 05:30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

JosephP Posted at 3-6 05:30
Yeah your comment just made me everything more confusing. I’m not sure if English is your first language.

Sorry about the confusion. Let me rephrase that. The DJI Smart Controller has a built-in speaker and microphone. It does not record audio when screen recording just like some other devices. However, you can enable "Record Audio with Video Cache" to have audio in your cache videos. Thank you.
3-10 02:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules