What happens if you fly a drone over the top of a helicopter?
1568 27 2019-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans85cbcad8
lvl.2
Israel

I have a shot that I am thinking about.

A helicopter is sitting on the ground with the rotor turning at full speed.  

Can I fly a drone over the top of the helicopter for a looking down on top shot?  Say about 10 meters above the rotor?

Would it cause the drone to crash??

Thanks,

Erik
2019-3-20
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Only one way to find out!
2019-3-20
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Go away.....and stay out of the USA. wow i am a poet and didn't know it
2019-3-20
Use props
BRentAP03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74872 ft
United States

Cool shot idea but I highly wouldn't recommend it, you never know what could happen.
2019-3-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Personally, I would not risk it - even if helicopter's rotor blades were at a neutral pitch (no upward or downward rotor wash).  If something does go wrong, at very least drone would be toast.  Drone hitting helicopters rotors would be dangerous and expensive.
2019-3-20
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Seriously?  And your concern is “the drone”?  
2019-3-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sorry that this would not be a recommended use of your drone as this may cause interference and may lead to an incident. We would recommend flying your drone in open areas wherein there are no interferences to avoid the incident. Thank you for understanding. Please let us know if you have other concerns.
2019-3-20
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I'm sensing a "Hey, watch this.." moment coming soon.....
2019-3-20
Use props
fans85cbcad8
lvl.2
Israel

So, first of all thanks for the replies.  I want to be clear about one thing to see if it changes anything.  The people who operate the helicopter are not prohibiting me from flying over the top and there is no real danger of interference since the helicopter is not taking off or trying to fly.  I was thinking about what's happening with the air above the rotor of a helicopter.  My brief research on the internet leads me to believe that there is more going on below the rotors than above.  
2019-3-20
Use props
VanHellin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43 ft
United States

Depending on how fast the blades are turning and if the helicopter just idle (may be ok) or taking off (don't do it), it may just work if you are at the blade rotor center, but you have to be very careful to maintain position and not get into the blade edge vortex area. The drone will naturally maintain a certain elevation, but if the helicopters blade suction overcomes the drone's ability to go up and maintain altitude... just imagine what happens in a blender. Drone damage isn't the issue (if the drone is disposable), it is the helicopter blade damage that you might be liable for, and those aren't cheap.

Of course, safety is the number one thing here, and making sure that the helicopter pilot, any passengers, are aware of what is being attempted, proper liability insurance is there and coverage in such cases confirmed, then you may be able to try. Otherwise, not recommended.

2019-3-20
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-3-20
Use props
havrosh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566785 ft
Czechia

Candidate for darwinawards.com
2019-3-20
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Surely better done with a Mavic Zoom and put it 30m+ away - film in 4k and crop in to 1080? I don't see an issue if the chopper company is consenting - make them sign something to say you're not liable first. Could be a cool shot, especially slowed in post with some frame blending.
2019-3-20
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're an idiot if you do!
2019-3-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like the next I lost my drone thread in the making
2019-3-20
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

Sorry but this seems dumb as hell.
2019-3-21
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

INB4 a new post of "I lost my drone flying over a helicopter. AMA"
2019-3-21
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Why restrict yourself to flying over it?

Try flying through the blades ....

Much more interesting.
2019-3-21
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

It's not something I would like to do. But if I did, I wouldn't want to post about it here. It's his drone and his friends helicopter, and he is researching the  project responsibly. What's to criticise?
2019-3-21
Use props
elberti
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3985561 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

It's a risky call and even if you manage to shoot it I don't find it that rewarding; pay attention the airflow may damage the helicopter and totaly destroy the drone. After all, I would try to find a better and more creative risk free subjects, as everything from above looks different, just you have to find it. LMK
2019-3-21
Use props
Alex1976
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

I absolutely don't understand the need of people to make such risky things.....keep in mind that above the rotors of an helicopter there is a great suction force in the ground direction. So if you have some brain in your head you will understand that this is a stupid thing to do. And with a Mavic Air that weight 430 grams.....no less. My god....
2019-3-21
Use props
fans85cbcad8
lvl.2
Israel

Listen, guys relax.  I will go away and you can rant on someone else who simply asks a question.  I know, I'm a idiot.  Sorry to waste your time.  Bye.
2019-3-21
Use props
J AV10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31686 ft
United States

Sounds like a neat perspective. Little expensive if any crashing is done, but at least you thought about that.
2019-3-21
Use props
Alluvian
lvl.1
United States

Brett Brandon Posted at 3-20 11:45
"My brief research on the internet leads me to believe that there is more going on below the rotors than above."

Where do you think the air from below comes from?

Not to come to anyone's defense, but I think the meaning was like a fan, there is much more perceived air movement in 'front' of the fan than behind the fan.  The air flow is the same on both sides of course, but more directed in the front.

In theory with 0 pitch on the props there would be fairly little air movement, but that is a LOT of risk (on the part of the helicopter pilot and the helicopter) for a 'cool shot'.
2019-3-21
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

would probably be a pretty cool shot but if anything goes wrong will it have been worth it. losing yr drone is one thing.. fine if you can handle that.. but if any damage at all to the helicopter someone will have a big repair bill and worse what if a part of yr drone gets flung into someone - can you be sure it cannot happen..no..therefore the risk is too high. I repeat..losing your drone is one thing but any time other property or people or animals may become damaged or injured you should excercise restraint. To try it as a beginner is sheer craziness because there are many things that could go wrong that beginners are not yet aware of.
2019-3-21
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

fans85cbcad8 Posted at 3-21 09:55
Listen, guys relax.  I will go away and you can rant on someone else who simply asks a question.  I know, I'm a idiot.  Sorry to waste your time.  Bye.

buh bye...
2019-3-21
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I have often heard these ideas accompanied by the phrase "Hold my beer". Seriously mate, let's not postulate on ideas that cast a bad light on our hobby. There are enough idiots in the world driving our hobby to over regulation as it is.
2019-3-23
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I have some goofy drone ideas but even I never thought of that one.

2019-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules