Is it possible that two focus wheels work together?
5720 11 2019-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DeimosJ
lvl.1
Taiwan

I have a Sony a7III and a Sony E PZ 18-105mm lens. I have completed the tests using my RONIN-S with the latest version of firmware:
  • With the MCC-Multi cable, the focus wheel can control the zooming.
  • With the MCC-C cable, the focus wheel can control the focus pull.
  • With the focus motor, the focus wheel can control the focus motor.
  • With the focus motor and the MCC-Multi/C cable, the focus wheel can only control the focus motor.

Because of that, I want to know if I can mount two focus wheels at the same time and set one of them to control the focus motor and the other to control the zooming or focus pull with the MCC-Multi or MCC-C cable?
2019-3-20
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ive an A99MKII using a Zeiss 24-70 2.8. I ASKED the SAME question to DJI via email yesterday. Specifically, i want to use TWO motors—one for focus and one for zoom— and be able to use ONE focus wheel to control both (obviously not at the same time)  by tapping the multifunction button on the focus wheel accessory to switch betwixt the two. Waiting to hear back.

But let me ask this: you mentioned you can ZOOM...does the lens physically move/ZOOM or is this an optical/digital trick whilst using the cable only?
Ive the multi cable but since i have the focus motor i dont need or care to use the cable to control focus.
2019-3-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi DeimosJ, thanks for reaching out. I will clarify this to our designated team to check if this is possible. I will give you an update as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience and support.
2019-3-20
Use props
DeimosJ
lvl.1
Taiwan

marctronixx Posted at 3-20 13:29
Ive an A99MKII using a Zeiss 24-70 2.8. I ASKED the SAME question to DJI via email yesterday. Specifically, i want to use TWO motors—one for focus and one for zoom— and be able to use ONE focus wheel to control both (obviously not at the same time)  by tapping the multifunction button on the focus wheel accessory to switch betwixt the two. Waiting to hear back.

But let me ask this: you mentioned you can ZOOM...does the lens physically move/ZOOM or is this an optical/digital trick whilst using the cable only?

The Sony E PZ 18-105mm lens has built-in power zoom. So the focus wheel can control the focus of the lens with MCC-Multi cable.
2019-3-20
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

yeah but its either or right? meaning if you have a focus motor on rails controlling focus via the focus wheel, can you switch the wheel to THEN control  zoom?

i got a response from dji- the ronin can not have two motors and two wheels at the same time. you can also not have just one wheel control two focus motors at this time.
2019-3-20
Use props
DeimosJ
lvl.1
Taiwan

marctronixx Posted at 3-20 18:50
yeah but its either or right? meaning if you have a focus motor on rails controlling focus via the focus wheel, can you switch the wheel to THEN control  zoom?

i got a response from dji- the ronin can not have two motors and two wheels at the same time. you can also not have just one wheel control two focus motors at this time.

Here is my setting: My a7III connects to Ronin-S with MCC-Multi cable (or MCC-C cable) and the focus motor connecte to Ronin-S at the same time. The focus wheel only can control the focus motor. I have no way to switch the focus wheel to control the a7III for focusing or zooming. The only way to control the camera for focusing or zooming is disconnecting the focus motor.
2019-3-20
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So to make sure I understand you,

If you want the focus wheel to ZOOM, you have to disconnect the focus motor yes?

If you want the focus wheel to FOCUS, you HAVE to disconnect the usb cable yes?

You cant have BOTH the cable connected and motor connected to be able to zoom and pull focus yes?

The focus wheel has a “multifunction button” under the actual wheel that you can press to change settings on the focus motor (direction change, learning a/b points, etc). So you CANT use that particular button to , say, switch  the focus wheel to control focus or zoom. Is his correct? I know this sounds complicated and I’m sorry, but I’m just trying to understand what the a7 can do. The A99MKII is not on th approved list , however its balanced just fine and works just fine, but i am wanting to know the limitations you are seeing on a camera hats actually supported.
Thank you

Ooh. By the by, DJI responded by saying they don’t recommend attaching two motors. One can TRY to do this but there is no guarantee this system will work. They DO say the you can not have two focus wheels mounted at the same time , so your initial question has been asked by DJI “Senior” engineers.

Maybe firmware updates can allow this? Who knows. DJI should because thats more money in people buying accessories ..I’d certainly buy another focus motor (i already have an extra focus wheel).
2019-3-21
Use props
DeimosJ
lvl.1
Taiwan

"If you want the focus wheel to ZOOM, you have to disconnect the focus motor yes?": Yes.

"If you want the focus wheel to FOCUS, you HAVE to disconnect the usb cable yes?": I need the USB cable to trigger the video recording and this is the only thing the USB cable can do.

"You cant have BOTH the cable connected and motor connected to be able to zoom and pull focus yes? ": I can't.

"So you CANT use that particular button to , say, switch  the focus wheel to control focus or zoom. Is his correct?": I can't.

Interesting. The manual of the focus motor said: "3. To increase stability or to use a Focus Motor on either side of the camera, attach two rod mounts." The figure looks like  user could use two Focus Motors at the same time. I almost submit an order for the second Focus Motor until I read your words.
2019-3-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi Deimosj, sorry for the late response. After confirming this concern to our related team, unfortunately, it is not possible to connect two focus wheels at the same time since the firmware does not support it. Appreciate your understanding and support.
2019-3-21
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

thanks DJI.

for grins and since i had an extra focus wheel, i mounted BOTH focus wheels on the gimbal. i have the other one on the control box.

i powered up the unit and the focus motor was confused and started moving erratically (to be expected i guess).  BOTH wheels could MOVE/control the focus motor but it certainly didnt like it because it was moving back.forth albeit slowly. a little vibration from the gimbal motors too. so yeah dont try that.

i was about to pull the trigger and get another one too, but its not worth it at this time. and yeah i saw that description in the focus motor manual as well and it DOES seem one can mount two motors. maybe in a later firmware update?
2019-3-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

marctronixx Posted at 3-21 19:29
thanks DJI.

for grins and since i had an extra focus wheel, i mounted BOTH focus wheels on the gimbal. i have the other one on the control box.

Thanks for reaching out. This has been forwarded to our designated team. I will clarify to them if we do have plans to support it in the future updates. Please wait for the feedback. Appreciate your patience and continued support.
2019-3-24
Use props
radthrillfilms
lvl.1
Bulgaria

Hey DJI, will your future firmware updates make it possible to attach two focus motors on RONIN S or not ? Becuase I plan and I want to have second motor to control my iris, first one is for the focus...
2020-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules