Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RTK 2D Mapping Authorization Unlock Issue
4382 13 2019-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

I recently had airport and FAA approval to fly a 2D mapping mission in an airport with an authorization zone unlock available indication on the flysafe map.  I used the scheduled self unlocking for our P4 RTK and our P4Pro and transferred and synced the 3 day unlocking license to the aircraft.  Both aircraft and controllers have the current firmware updates. On site, after acknowledging the cautions and accepting responsibility I programmed a 121 meter 2D mapping mission in the GS RTK ap.  Upon invoking, the P4RTK aircraft completed self checks, launched to the start altitude of 121 meters but would not proceed to the start point of the mapping mission.  I landed, rebooted everything, replanned, accepted responsibility. and invoked again with the same results.     I changed aircraft to the P4Pro, unlocked the license, went through the preflights with Go 4 , accepted responsibility, and then switched to Pix4D Capture, programmed a similar 2 D mapping pattern at 100 meters and it flew it autonomously just fine.   Why was the P4 RTK unable to autonomously fly the 2 D pattern after the unlock?   I know the Matrice 100 and others had autonomous limitations in red or no-fly zones even after custom unlocking but certainly the P4 RTK should not have these limitations when it is designed for commercial users with legitimate airspace authorizations.
2019-3-23
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the report HTA_RP-1... This is not good.

The  systems that are targeted towards commercial/professional use should be LESS hobbled by silly geofencing and other airspace lockouts than the hobbyist/toy grade platforms.  But I think we've seen DJI is not all on the same page regarding the P4P RTK...

On the one hand they are pitching the platform as a professional grade survey tool. But their support and other execution just isn't there. DJI has clearly attempted to gain points with FAA and other regulatory agencies by building geofencing into their various flight control apps. But when they are half-baked, as most DJI software seems to be, the user is the one that suffers. And when it is a professional user, it is not just an inconvenience... There is a real cost incurred.

Having a checkbox where the PIC must acknowledge that they are aware of the relevant regulations and are flying within the legal limitations is fine. But grounding the AC outright is just unacceptable.

2019-3-24
Use props
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

patiam Posted at 3-24 19:47
Thanks for the report HTA_RP-1... This is not good.

The  systems that are targeted towards commercial/professional use should be LESS hobbled by silly geofencing and other airspace lockouts than the hobbyist/toy grade platforms.  But I think we've seen DJI is not all on the same page regarding the P4P RTK...

Yes - this was unusual in that the flight was not prohibited.   I was able to program and invoke/ launch to altitude but it would not proceed to the start point of the 2D programmed mapping mission.  and there were no warnings or advisories.   I have requested assistance through DJI support.  I hope Pix4D gets in the android OS game with the RTK and helps resolve this type of thing as Capture works so well with iOS and the P4P.
2019-3-25
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HTA_RP-1 Posted at 3-25 06:02
Yes - this was unusual in that the flight was not prohibited.   I was able to program and invoke/ launch to altitude but it would not proceed to the start point of the 2D programmed mapping mission.  and there were no warnings or advisories.   I have requested assistance through DJI support.  I hope Pix4D gets in the android OS game with the RTK and helps resolve this type of thing as Capture works so well with iOS and the P4P.

Pix4D Capture is available on Android for all previous versions of the P4. It's just the P4P RTK that is lacking Capture support.

I too hope Pix4D will come through on this front.
2019-3-25
Use props
Goose4
lvl.2

United States

Can you describe how you did this - "I used the scheduled self unlocking for our P4 RTK and our P4Pro and transferred and synced the 3 day unlocking license to the aircraft."  I can not for the life of me figure out how this works.
I've gotten the authorization from the FAA and the DJI unlock key but can not figure out how to get it into the controller.

Thanks.
2019-4-13
Use props
LYVFD8142
lvl.4

United States

Here is a YouTube video

I haven't tried this on the P4RTK
2019-4-13
Use props
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

Goose4 Posted at 4-13 07:50
Can you describe how you did this - "I used the scheduled self unlocking for our P4 RTK and our P4Pro and transferred and synced the 3 day unlocking license to the aircraft."  I can not for the life of me figure out how this works.
I've gotten the authorization from the FAA and the DJI unlock key but can not figure out how to get it into the controller.

I will have to get the system in front of me to verify steps but from memory I do all my authorizations while on the computer and then sync to the controller using dji assistant and then connect the controller to the drone.  Then it is look on the pages until you find the unlocking license and sync controller and aircraft. To get the unlock license uploaded the the aircraft.   Then....  when in the actual zone...you have to turn the  unlock license...ON ... on another page and acknowledge full responsibility....  etc , etc,  and ....as previously stated,  I was able to unlock and launch the android based rtk  but it would not fly the programmed mapping mission.   So I must have missed something.   The iOS p4 pro flew  the mission fine after unlock.
2019-4-14
Use props
djiuser_giGq9f4ZkOou
lvl.1

United States

Sounds like the same issue here.  I'm having a problem getting the DJI approval to go from the app on the RC to the aircraft.  in the unlock screen I can see the approval and at this point a pop up button should appear.  I can click on the description of the approval and it but there is nothing to click on after that.  There should be a slide button.  Any advice from here?  
IMG_1277.jpg
2020-4-23
Use props
jdzac
lvl.2

United States

I had the same problem with my P4-RTK.  I was finally able to get a pdf with helpful instructions via email directly from DJI.  I was going to upload that file, but apparently this forum only supports image files, not pdfs.  So the best I can do is to paste DJI's instructions directly into this thread.  Pretty lengthy, but worth it if you're trying to figure this out and have no other source.

Notes:
To unlock Red Zones with the DJI GS RTK APP, the built-in screen controller must be connected to the Internet during steps 1 to 4.
Steps 1 to 4 can be done outside of the unlocking area, so please do it at home if there will be no internet connection in the unlocking area.
The unlocking license will still be stored in aircraft after importing unless it’s replaced by another one, which means you can manage the license ON or OFF even with another DJI account.
Step 1: Power on the aircraft and the built-in screen controller and ensure that the built-in screen controller has been linked to the aircraft successfully, please make sure the built-in screen controller has a good internet access.
Step 2: Launch DJI GS RTK APP (latest version) and log into your DJI account which was submitted while requesting the custom unlocking online.
Step 3: Go to the camera view and General Settings. Tap “Unlock Certificate List”—>”App”.
Step 4: Tap “synchronize”, then the unlocking license will appear and tap “Import Aircraft”. Once the license is uploaded successfully, you will be able to turn it on or off on the Aircraft page.
Step 5: Place the aircraft in the area that you requested to be unlocked. When the number of GPS
satellites connected reaches more than 10, tap “Unlock certificate List”—>”Aircraft” and slide the switch to the right to enable it. Now, the area is unlocked.
Step 6: When the switch is turned on, go to map view in the APP , and a green zone will be shown on the map, indicating area that you have requested to unlock. You can only fly the aircraft within that you have  requested to unlock.  You can only fly the aircraft within green zone. To fly outside of the zone, turn off switch in DJI GO 4.
Troubleshooting steps for unlocking failure:
 If the drone is failed to be unlocked, please:
1. Connect the drone with the APP, then log in to the DJI account which has been used for submitting the unlocking request, to download the unlocking license.
2. Update the APP, fly safe database, the firmware of the drone and remote controller to be the latest version.
3. Ensure the mobile device has a good internet connection.
4. Repeat to turn on the drone and the remote controller and relink them, then connect to the mobile device, open the APP.
 If it doesn’t work, please:
1. Log out and log in to your DJI account.
2. Repeat to disconnect and reconnect the drone with the mobile device.
3. Uninstall and reinstall the APP.
 If the issue still exists, please send the below information to flysafe@dji.com for further assistance:
1. A video of the whole unlocking process (From turning on the drone until the unlock failure)
2. A screenshot to show the logged in DJI account.
3. A screenshot of the current flying coordinates.
4. Connect the drone with the App correctly, then make a screenshot of the app’s Unlocking List page (Aircraft Settings->Unlock certificate list-APP/Aircraf).
5. Connect the drone with the App correctly, then make a screenshot of the app's about page (Aircraft info -> Flight Controller Serial Number).
6. A screenshot of the ‘no fly zone’ in the APP.
2020-6-24
Use props
djiuser_CtVXVoNspYWg
lvl.1

United States

I had the same issue, the reason it didn't have the option to upload to aircraft is you probably put in the serial number located on the back of your RC (remote controller) this is not the same number as the flight controller. that number is located with in the GS RTK app. From the home page tap the three bars on the top left then tap the drone symbol (third down), make sure the drone is connected to the RC  and tap aircraft. then the flight controller serial number will be the third from the top. DJI definitely need more support in this area
2020-7-14
Use props
Archy23D
lvl.1

United States

I had the same issue yesterday during a flight in class D airspace. I had my LAANC approved and then the custom unlock. I followed the directions for the unlock and could not get the P4RTK to move to the first waypoint. I ended up wasting a whole battery just trying to get it to start the mission. I found that after you import and sync the app and the aircraft, you can take-off without the warning pop-up. After you hit the desired altitude, go back to the unlock certificate screen, then in the aircraft section move slider to off position. It may have a slight pause and then it will start the mission. Hope this helps.
2021-1-5
Use props
Yellow Rose
lvl.1

United States

Archy23D Posted at 1-5 11:20
I had the same issue yesterday during a flight in class D airspace. I had my LAANC approved and then the custom unlock. I followed the directions for the unlock and could not get the P4RTK to move to the first waypoint. I ended up wasting a whole battery just trying to get it to start the mission. I found that after you import and sync the app and the aircraft, you can take-off without the warning pop-up. After you hit the desired altitude, go back to the unlock certificate screen, then in the aircraft section move slider to off position. It may have a slight pause and then it will start the mission. Hope this helps. [view_image]

Thank you, I had the same issue with a project and I emailed support but they were not able to give me anything helpful to try.

I was flying a mission that required LAANC approval (according to Kitty Hawk) but on DJI fly safe it showed that it didn't. I launched my drone up in the air, to start a 2D mission, but it just hovered at the starting point and wouldn't take off for the mission.  I brought it back, did an unlock certificate and launched it back in the air. It flew 64% of the mission and then it came back to starting point for a new battery.  Once I put the new battery in I went through steps for certificate again and launched it back up, it went to the 64% mission spot but just hovered and hovered & wouldn't complete my mission. I tried with 3 other batteries and same thing. I was out of ideas, and of course the job site is 2 1/2 hours each way. DJI won't do any trouble shooting over the phone on the Phantom 4RTK, which is frustrating considering how much we pay for these things, they really need a department that can help when in the field and not waiting 2-4 business days for an e-mail response, which in my case didn't help anyways.
2021-3-10
Use props
Mark_2
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_CtVXVoNspYWg Posted at 2020-7-14 13:33
I had the same issue, the reason it didn't have the option to upload to aircraft is you probably put in the serial number located on the back of your RC (remote controller) this is not the same number as the flight controller. that number is located with in the GS RTK app. From the home page tap the three bars on the top left then tap the drone symbol (third down), make sure the drone is connected to the RC  and tap aircraft. then the flight controller serial number will be the third from the top. DJI definitely need more support in this area

Yes this is important.  I tried using the wrong one till i stumbled onto the one i needed.  You cannot access it unless you are connected to the drone.
2021-3-12
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

patiam Posted at 2019-3-25 08:27
Pix4D Capture is available on Android for all previous versions of the P4. It's just the P4P RTK that is lacking Capture support.

I too hope Pix4D will come through on this front.

Alas, never going to happen as Pix4D has abandoned development of the Capture app.
2021-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules