Camera will not focus
687 9 2019-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Todd Felmly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 857162 ft
United States

Brand new Mavic Pro Platinum. Haven't even flown it yet. Camera will not focus on anything. Autofocus is on, can tap on the screen and the green box comes on and the remote beeps but the camera doesn't even attempt to focus. The entire image is blured.

If I reset the camera settings I can sometimes get it to work but what a pain to do this everytime. I've done all the normal calibrations, firmware is up to date.

Reading the internet and this forum it seems this is a very common problem. I refuse to believe this is a hardware issue. I can't imagine DJI having so many bad cameras.

What to do? Send it in? Wait for a sofware fix?

Very unsatisfying first DJI experience.
2019-3-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I sure wouldn't call it a common problem.  I've never heard of it happening.  That doesn't mean it hasn't, but I sure don't read about it here, until now with you.  Have you taken it out of auto and tried manually focusing?
2019-3-23
Use props
Todd Felmly
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 3-23 12:57
I sure wouldn't call it a common problem.  I've never heard of it happening.  That doesn't mean it hasn't, but I sure don't read about it here, until now with you.  Have you taken it out of auto and tried manually focusing?

Yeah I've done all the normal troubleshooting like applying the latest firmware again, manual/auto focus, IMU calibration, gimbal calibration. Most of the time resetting the camera through the app will make it eventually work but that's not a real good solution. Take a look at Google and search for Mavic focus problem if you have an afternoon to burn!

When the focus doesn't work, the camera wont even attempt to focus. Funny thing is once I get it to work, it will be fine until I turn the controller / Mavic off for maybe 30 minutes. Then its back to no focus. If I turn everything back on before that amount of time, I am good. That's why I think its more of a software glitch. DJI support told me to send it in but I have a feeling the one I get in return will be the same.
2019-3-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

Todd Felmly Posted at 3-24 08:00
Yeah I've done all the normal troubleshooting like applying the latest firmware again, manual/auto focus, IMU calibration, gimbal calibration. Most of the time resetting the camera through the app will make it eventually work but that's not a real good solution. Take a look at Google and search for Mavic focus problem if you have an afternoon to burn!

When the focus doesn't work, the camera wont even attempt to focus. Funny thing is once I get it to work, it will be fine until I turn the controller / Mavic off for maybe 30 minutes. Then its back to no focus. If I turn everything back on before that amount of time, I am good. That's why I think its more of a software glitch. DJI support told me to send it in but I have a feeling the one I get in return will be the same.

I'd sure get it looked at.  It's of no use with blurry pictures, obviously.

Good luck - Gary
2019-3-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

Todd Felmly Posted at 3-24 08:00

When the focus doesn't work, the camera wont even attempt to focus. Funny thing is once I get it to work, it will be fine until I turn the controller / Mavic off for maybe 30 minutes. Then its back to no focus. If I turn everything back on before that amount of time, I am good. That's why I think its more of a software glitch. DJI support told me to send it in but I have a feeling the one I get in return will be the same.

I'd sure get it looked at.  It's of no use with blurry pictures, obviously.

Good luck - Gary
2019-3-24
Use props
Todd Felmly
lvl.2
United States

Here's a quick YouTube of mine. Notice at the start the image is in focus. At the 4 second mark something shifts and focus is not possible. I tapped the screen, switched to manual focus with no help. There is no attempts of the camera to focus. I landed and power cycled the aircraft. Then focus started to work again. This is temporary though as if it sits  in the off position for more than 15-30 minutes, the camera is of no use again. Funny thing is if I turn it back on within say 5 minutes, all is fine.

Almost like the focus system is messed up.

https://youtu.be/MbUEcCS1xxA
2019-3-25
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

I just sent my mavic pro back for repair for the same reason.  It wasn't new but it did just stop working on auto and manual.  
It had never been crashed or even had a hard landing.

Chuck
2019-3-25
Use props
Todd Felmly
lvl.2
United States

I started an RMA with B&H to exchange the unit. It's not usable in this state. Looks like a lot of folks are buying the camera lens module for around $20 USD online and replacing it themselves. Takes about 20 minutes to do.
2019-3-26
Use props
Todd Felmly
lvl.2
United States

Just to close this up, I returned the original Mavic to B&H and bought another from my local Best Buy. The new one is tack sharp and focus well.
2019-3-29
Use props
fansbb2aaff3
New

Canada

I have the exact same problem! Spent over 2 hours with customer service trying to fix it. they asked me to send it to DJI...
2019-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules