1160 10 2019-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimcullen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12051 ft
Australia

Hello all,

I'm very new to the drone world however I have been a pro photographer in Australia for 28 years and know a bit about taking and processing images, this is why I have started to invest in drones as my clients are asking for that type of work.

I must say though that this has been a very frustraiting few weeks, seems at every turn there are road blocks I have to hurddle, it's a bit like the masive mountain I had to climb many many years ago going from old school film photography to digital, except my brain isnt as fresh as it was then.

So I'm now stuck at the editing stage, not so much the dng files but the video files and in particular the processing of. I'm using the Mavic 2 with H2.65 Dlog-m setting, I'm trying to use Davinci to edit these files on a win 8.1 computer which has pretty good specs. I've read there is a codec for win 10 but is there one for win 8.1 because Davinci will not recognise these files telling me that the Media is Offline.

If anyone could help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

TIA
Jim

2019-3-27
Use props
jimcullen
lvl.1
Australia

Um I use the Mavic 2 not Mavic 2 enterprise.
2019-3-27
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

About the codecs, just google for them. What hardware do you have?
2019-3-27
Use props
jimcullen
lvl.1
Australia

saviour Posted at 3-27 05:14
About the codecs, just google for them. What hardware do you have?

It's a few years old now
2019-3-27
Use props
jimcullen
lvl.1
Australia

Would you trust this site?

https://www.windows8codecs.com/
2019-3-27
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are new to video processing, I might suggest you ignore H.265 video files for a bit and just start off with H.264.  As you've found out, you need to find supported codecs for your files with H.265.  But then once you do get a codec working, then you will probably get frustrated with how quickly H.265 files can bring all but the fastest machines to a crawl!  I have a reasonably new and fast machine and I still use proxy files when trying to edit H.265 files in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Yes, H.265 files will allow you to get more detail out of your post-processing, but until you have experience in doing so with normal files, stepping up to H.265 might have too much frustration factor to start out with...

If you were on Win10, I could point you to the free MS codec.  However, I'm not familiar with trusted codecs for Win8.1.

Best of luck as you move forward!
2019-3-27
Use props
jimcullen
lvl.1
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 3-27 07:17
If you are new to video processing, I might suggest you ignore H.265 video files for a bit and just start off with H.264.  As you've found out, you need to find supported codecs for your files with H.265.  But then once you do get a codec working, then you will probably get frustrated with how quickly H.265 files can bring all but the fastest machines to a crawl!  I have a reasonably new and fast machine and I still use proxy files when trying to edit H.265 files in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Yes, H.265 files will allow you to get more detail out of your post-processing, but until you have experience in doing so with normal files, stepping up to H.265 might have too much frustration factor to start out with...

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I hear what you're saying about easing into the chunkier files but I'd like to try and get the best quality I can get out of the camera. I can get the h256 to work with Power Director which is great but I feel I'm missing something by not using the better/ more expensive programs.

I need to learn more about making movies, its a whole nother field to stills.

Cheers
Jim
2019-3-28
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Whatever else, make sure you put a copy of the original clips on the hard drive and work from those. I use Premier pro and it won't work with files from the sd card or slow external media.
2019-3-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimcullen Posted at 3-28 03:42
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I hear what you're saying about easing into the chunkier files but I'd like to try and get the best quality I can get out of the camera. I can get the h256 to work with Power Director which is great but I feel I'm missing something by not using the better/ more expensive programs.

I can respect that!  When I first got into photography, I only captured in JPEG!  After learning more about LightRoom and Photoshop, I really wish I would have started out from the beginning with RAW files.

If you want to continue with H.265, you may want to look into using proxy files with your video editor once you get the codec situation worked out.  Also, video is one of the most CPU/GPU intensive things you can do with a computer.  If you are looking to get serious with video, you probably will want to start stashing away pennies for a future computer upgrade!

Best of luck in your new adventure!
2019-3-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-28 07:22
Whatever else, make sure you put a copy of the original clips on the hard drive and work from those. I use Premier pro and it won't work with files from the sd card or slow external media.

I would highly recommend working off of files stored on an SSD over a traditional hard drive if at all possible.  Performance will be greatly increased!
2019-3-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day jimcullen. Thank you for reaching out and thank you for choosing DJI. I hope you'll get the best recommendation and information here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on how they process there video files. Thank you for your support.
2019-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules