Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey all,

Just came across this article from DroneDJ. Says that due to slowing consumer sales, DJI is to focus on agricultural industry drones. Does that mean that the prosumer market will be affected, namely, a Phantom 5 potential? And what of the Mavic 2? Does this mean production slows there as well? Interesting that consumer sales have dropped, though I imagine with increasing regulation (not a bad thing, I agree with regulation), the hobbyist set of consumers is being squeezed (prices have something to do with that too).

I can guess the DJI response that they have no news on such things, but just thought it was an interesting read.

Comments?
2019-3-27
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would imagine the customer base for retail sales is nearing a saturation point.  As opposed to toothpaste and toilet paper,  not everyone will buy a drone of any kind.

I bought an Inspire 1 in 2015, and my P4Pro in late 2017........if I were to buy another drone as a backup, it would be another P4Pro, used.  The I1 is a backup for real estate, but for mapping it's the P4Pro.

So unless they can come up with THEE magic combo and versatile drone.....I'll be working with what I have.....
Very good post BTW!!

Randy
2019-3-27
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 3-27 08:54
I would imagine the customer base for retail sales is nearing a saturation point.  As opposed to toothpaste and toilet paper,  not everyone will buy a drone of any kind.

I bought an Inspire 1 in 2015, and my P4Pro in late 2017........if I were to buy another drone as a backup, it would be another P4Pro, used.  The I1 is a backup for real estate, but for mapping it's the P4Pro.

Thank you very much!

I find it fascinating that we are seeing a paradigm shift in the types of drone pilots taking to the skies and types of drones in the air. Two years ago it was hundreds of thousands of hobbyists, but with regulation and steeper barriers/costs of entry, it makes more and more sense to have a Part 107 or country equivalent in your pocket. Even if you don't plan on flying professionally, it is kind of like being a private pilot in general aviation. If you want to fly "for fun" or personal reasons, you get a "private" 107 license. I am wondering if the FAA will eventually adopt a specific commercial type rating for drones to separate "general" drone aviation from commercial drone aviation.
2019-3-27
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If they aren't making any phantoms,  then they sure as heck can't sell them.  No wonder their sales are down.
2019-3-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The language in that article is misleading.
DJI isn't shifting it's focus to agricultural drones.
They are just increasing their output in that area.
Look at the numbers quoted:
20000 agricultural drones - 375000 commercial drones and no mumber for recreational drones, but it would have been in the low millions.
If DJI doubles their agricultural output, that's still a small number of drones.
2019-3-27
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are already several fixed wing platforms for ag.  If you are doing large ag areas, it makes sense to use a fixed wing as they can fly much longer covering a much larger area.

Precision Hawk recently posted multi pilots needed for ag.....you will be using our fixed wing "Q Drone" which will cover 350 acres in 45 min.......they just needed the 107 pilots to be RPIC

Randy
2019-3-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I think a future Phantom 5 is still a reality.

RedHotPoker

2019-3-28
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

JPilotR Posted at 3-27 10:42
Thank you very much!

I find it fascinating that we are seeing a paradigm shift in the types of drone pilots taking to the skies and types of drones in the air. Two years ago it was hundreds of thousands of hobbyists, but with regulation and steeper barriers/costs of entry, it makes more and more sense to have a Part 107 or country equivalent in your pocket. Even if you don't plan on flying professionally, it is kind of like being a private pilot in general aviation. If you want to fly "for fun" or personal reasons, you get a "private" 107 license. I am wondering if the FAA will eventually adopt a specific commercial type rating for drones to separate "general" drone aviation from commercial drone aviation.

I must agree that we are reaching a point where there will be, and must be, significant change. Increased regulation, that will affect all pilots is essential. It must be so constructed to ensure that even those who wish to flout the rules will also get caught in the net. The period where having a drone just because they are fashionable is drawing to a close, and it will leave behind a rather smaller audience who already have, as has been pointed out above, a perfectly functional drone with no intention to replace it. There will also be a fair number of drones being offered for sale because their owners have become bored or cannot deal with the new legislation. Significantly new drones may or may not be on the horizon, either way change is coming.
2019-3-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

What I find interesting is no-one above has touched on the increasing number of 'similar' Quads out there albeit often with less capability - but hitting into the 'retail Hobby' market of DJI. DJI I think made an error in going more upmarket and their pricing became a serious concern for potential owners.

The other factor as well ..  hardware on todays farms earns substantial revenues for any company involved. That includes the Drone market. There may be a lot less sales in numbers of units - but compare prices of Agricultural Drones to ours ....... ours are not even in same ball-park. No wonder then that a company finding its retail market dwindling turns to its industrial side.
2019-3-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day JPilotR. Thank you for sharing this information with us today. As of the moment we do not have any information with regards to this information. Rest assure that DJI will continue to create drones for both consumer and professional customers. DJI will continue to provide after-sales services for old version drones. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2019-3-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

"DJI will continue to provide after-sales services for old version drones."

Guess this means "Phantoms"
2019-3-29
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

And not to forget that DJI has a large investment in Industrial and Movie worlds ......
2019-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules