Professional external XLR mic with the Osmo Pocket
2508 23 2019-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Just so I don't repeat the same blurb here check out the video on YouTube and read the video description.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we really appreciate you for sharing your test using an external mic with Osmo Pocket. Well done. Cheers!
2019-3-27
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-27 16:14
Hi there, we really appreciate you for sharing your test using an external mic with Osmo Pocket. Well done. Cheers!

Hi Gamora.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

David_Harry Posted at 3-27 16:16
Hi Gamora.

You are very welcome.

It's my pleasure. And keep on sharing
2019-3-27
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Dave, it is wonderful :-)
2019-3-27
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 3-27 21:15
Dave, it is wonderful :-)

Hi.

I was very surprised by the results and this is the nest I've heard so far with the pocket and an external mic.

I'll also be doing some tests using standalone phantom powered preamps with typical large diaphragm cardioid condenser studio mics.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-28
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I tried a couple of pro audio Technica . The difference was they take mini phono plugs. I didn’t have the same success you have. Any idea why Dave?
2019-3-28
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 3-28 07:10
I tried a couple of pro audio Technica . The difference was they take mini phono plugs. I didn’t have the same success you have. Any idea why Dave?

Hi.

What exactly are the results you are getting?

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-28
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great video, very nice information
2019-3-28
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

jacksonnai Posted at 3-28 20:28
Great video, very nice information

Hi.

Thank you and you are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-29
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Nice! Sound great
2019-3-30
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

David_Harry Posted at 3-29 14:04
Hi.

Thank you and you are very welcome.

You're welcome David
2019-3-30
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

David_Harry Posted at 3-28 08:03
Hi.

What exactly are the results you are getting?

I get a really low level recording.

I still need to try my Sinn wireless.
2019-4-1
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-1 14:03
I get a really low level recording.

I still need to try my Sinn wireless.

Hi.

Yes, most microphones are going to record quite low. This is not a problem with the microphones but issues with the gain stage of the Pocket and its adaptor.

Unfortunately at this point it is going to be trial and error with finding a mic that the Pocket works happily with. I say at this point as it may well be possible for certain issues to be rectified with future updates to the Pocket's software.

Interestingly, I've done a definitive test that proves that the Pocket and its adaptor does indeed have two channels on the input, although and again at this point in time, the channels are not configured for stereo recording. I'll try and upload a video within the next couple of days showing these test results.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-1
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

David_Harry Posted at 4-1 15:47
Hi.

Yes, most microphones are going to record quite low. This is not a problem with the microphones but issues with the gain stage of the Pocket and its adaptor.

Your work on this is the definitive research David. I thank you for your assistance.

I just received a MOVO VXR10GY, which looks like the RODE, but I've seen tests that show it records at a better level. I will test it out today.
2019-4-2
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-2 08:16
Your work on this is the definitive research David. I thank you for your assistance.

I just received a MOVO VXR10GY, which looks like the RODE, but I've seen tests that show it records at a better level. I will test it out today.

Hi.

Thank you for the compliment and you are very welcome.

Hopefully you have great results with your new microphone.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-2
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-2 08:16
Your work on this is the definitive research David. I thank you for your assistance.

I did a test and looked at it on Premiere Pro. The MOVO records at the correct level, but only on one channel. The top channel is not recording. It records as nice a quality as any of the mics, but it has a nice dead cat that works well.

Do a search in YouTube. A fellow has done a nice test on it. I'm not going to repeat it.
2019-4-4
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-4 07:33
I did a test and looked at it on Premiere Pro. The MOVO records at the correct level, but only on one channel. The top channel is not recording. It records as nice a quality as any of the mics, but it has a nice dead cat that works well.

Do a search in YouTube. A fellow has done a nice test on it. I'm not going to repeat it.

Hi.

I've got about four or five of those small video mics. Once I can guarantee the settings, if DJI fix the audio problems, I'll do a full range of tests with all the popular small video mics.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-4
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

David_Harry Posted at 4-4 15:27
Hi.

I've got about four or five of those small video mics. Once I can guarantee the settings, if DJI fix the audio problems, I'll do a full range of tests with all the popular small video mics.

I spoke with tech support yesterday. I learned:

1. If a stereo mic is used you should record stereo audio. They say the adapter is working properly.

2. You can’t do a firmware update while using a VPN.
2019-4-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-5 04:37
I spoke with tech support yesterday. I learned:

1. If a stereo mic is used you should record stereo audio. They say the adapter is working properly.

Hi.

I appreciate that you've been told something by tech support, but what they've told you is completely wrong. The Pocket and its adaptor do not record a proper stereo recording, my recent video clearly proves this.

DJI tech support should not be giving out misleading information.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-5
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 4-5 04:54
Hi.

I appreciate that you've been told something by tech support, but what they've told you is completely wrong. The Pocket and its adaptor do not record a proper stereo recording, my recent video clearly proves this.

Dave,

"If a stereo mic is used you should record stereo audio".  I guess that is a true statement.  You should, but you don't.

Bob
2019-4-5
Use props
fans90ade16f
lvl.2
United States

After watching your video I just shot a news conference and also an interview using my Sennheiser and got great results. Testing the Osmo Pocket for shooting news stories. Video has been good. Audio results had been poor to mixed. Pretty pleased with today’s results though. Thanks!
2019-4-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 4-5 09:44
Dave,

"If a stereo mic is used you should record stereo audio".  I guess that is a true statement.  You should, but you don't.

Hi Bob.

Should

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans90ade16f Posted at 4-5 10:27
After watching your video I just shot a news conference and also an interview using my Sennheiser and got great results. Testing the Osmo Pocket for shooting news stories. Video has been good. Audio results had been poor to mixed. Pretty pleased with today’s results though. Thanks!

Hi.

That's great news, I'm glad you've got good usable dialogue to go with a great picture.

I do realise that there are many issues with the audio on the Pocket, I've made some videos drawing light to certain issues. But if you can match it up with a microphone that suits it, you can get some very good results,

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules