Pros/Cons of DJI Smart Controller vs Standard Controller
45808 63 2019-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parisi2274
Second Officer
Flight distance : 211043 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 9-3 04:47
You pay around €350 for normal remote, a cheap option for a screen will cost €300 and as many use an iPad or similar a mount is needed so another €50 , so €700 you’ve already paid another €99 and you have a SRC , for me an extra €99 for a SRC is pretty much a bargain.

Yeah, but the problem is I already have the remote and I use my iPhone...

I think if I were buying the M2P for the first time I would seriously entertain the idea of buying the one that came with the smart controller...
2019-9-3
Use props
Parisi2274
Second Officer

gnirtS Posted at 9-3 02:20
Not quite sure i understand this - the current SC the antennas fold neat and flat into a recess on the back of the unit.
The sticks can also be removed and stow neatly behind that folded antenna.

Thanks for clearing this up for me...

I was looking on the DJI site yesterday and there are no images of the antenna neatly tucked into the back of the controller or images of the control sticks coming off.

2019-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

Parisi2274 Posted at 9-3 05:51
Thanks for clearing this up for me...

I was looking on the DJI site yesterday and there are no images of the antenna neatly tucked into the back of the controller or images of the control sticks coming off.

Its actually a very neat design.  The sticks are also standard M4 threaded screws and not the magnetic stuff with the old controller.  That means you can replace them with whatever you want easily.
2019-9-3
Use props
Parisi2274
Second Officer

How is the range with the SC compared to the normal RC?  Does it keep a stronger signal even at a greatest distance?
2019-9-3
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft

£600 for a phone glued into the controller, and a 1000 nit screen, hmm I have a Samsung galaxy s5 which works, I now have another s5 which cost me £45 second hand. I then installed lineage os 16 which is vanilla android 9 plus add basic google apps and djigo4  app. I now have a flight phone purely fof flying.
2019-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Which is great.  Some of us have far better phone and tablet devices but exactly like the S5 (a pitiful 500 nits) actually want to be able to see the screen in bright daylight.
2019-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

Parisi2274 Posted at 9-3 05:50
Yeah, but the problem is I already have the remote and I use my iPhone...

I think if I were buying the M2P for the first time I would seriously entertain the idea of buying the one that came with the smart controller...

That is my point, what’s on offer including craft and SRC is a pretty good deal.
2019-9-3
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31644 ft

gnirtS Posted at 9-3 07:56
Which is great.  Some of us have far better phone and tablet devices but exactly like the S5 (a pitiful 500 nits) actually want to be able to see the screen in bright daylight.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ . I believe my S9+ has a 1000 nit display .  I like to use Litchi for planning and flying my missions.  Can 3rd party apps like Litchi be easily installed on the SC?
2019-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Viper Pilot Posted at 9-3 08:27
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ . I believe my S9+ has a 1000 nit display .  I like to use Litchi for planning and flying my missions.  Can 3rd party apps like Litchi be easily installed on the SC?

Yes............
2019-9-3
Use props
MarcelN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2307733 ft

I’m flying with the SC for a week, but the distance is terrible compared to the RC. It complains as soon there is a tree in between.
This is not funny anymore, can i solve this with NLD????
2019-9-3
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31644 ft

Thanks.  If I had just read the specs closer I would have had my answer before I asked the question.

Thanks again!
2019-9-3
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft

Yes I agree 500 nits is not brilliant in full sun but you can always fly with sun at your back which is better for pics unless you are doing it for a living then you can easily justify the cost of a smart controller with its 1000 nit screen. Then there's the battery. I prefer component systems that you can replace parts. Rc ok
2019-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Sun at your back doesn't help if its overhead.  Of if theres an obstacle like a tree or a wall which will then block VLOS and/or signal with the drone and so on.
In some places there's simply no avoiding the sun.
Being able to actually see where you're going is for me worth the upgrade.  I wish it was brighter but its acceptable.  The lack of setup time is also nice.
2019-9-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

pros:  

1 single neat tidy all in 1 design, functionally reliable in a wide range of temperatures and environments (-20 degrees - +140 degree and screen is very bright and visible in direct sunlight) likely future proofed design as seems DJI will be moving future aircraft to occusync ecosystem in the future with prosumer and up.   runs a DJI eco system on custom baked android OS. this can be both a pro and a con depending how you look at it, but if this is a dedicated flying device i see it as a pro as means less apps fighting for resources in background or misbehaving causing you to possibly miss an opportunity.

cons:

expensive at $750, screen size is limited at 5.5 inches, slower to see updates and bug fixes, if you break the screen maybe hosed if no other controller to utilize since cant attach you phone to it and use it like standard controller to get around hat issue, no built in sim card slot + no cellular built in, need to use a USB dongle for cellular, no dedicated telemetry screen only in app which has come into handy for me a few times for me..

overall for average user, probably not the best solution as price is 1/2 cost of the mavic 2 itself (depending on the model picked) but for someone looking to integrate mavic 2 series into an actual pro-cinema use case and demand reliability and minimal startup time $750 is justified.
2019-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

MarcelN Posted at 9-3 09:10
I’m flying with the SC for a week, but the distance is terrible compared to the RC. It complains as soon there is a tree in between.
This is not funny anymore, can i solve this with NLD????

That shouldn’t be the case, so if you are having this trouble either you have set up wrong or there is something wrong with your unit, you may need to get this checked out .
2019-9-3
Use props
MarcelN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2307733 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 9-3 11:01
That shouldn’t be the case, so if you are having this trouble either you have set up wrong or there is something wrong with your unit, you may need to get this checked out .

Please explain me how to do it wrong with the set up. It’s just linkin and fly right?
2019-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer

Provided the antennas are deployed correctly and angled correctly with nothing blocking them.
Its not impossible you have a faulty unit.
2019-9-3
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 3-31 02:30
Not sure where he got living in a European country you would have less signal.

Yes CE has weaker transmission than FCC, but that will be the same with normal controller so that makes no difference.

Add to the pros:
- No extra heat or wasted battery on your phone.
- No unexpected calls or notifications in the middle of a flight
- No need to fiddle around with flight mode/switching off Wifi and bluetooth

Add to the cons:
- weight and bulkiness when you travel - especially if you travel internationally on an airplane and you have a weight budget on your carry-on
- No SIM connection for online mapping (you can turn your phone into a hotspot, but that is a battery killer)

I have the smart controller and I couldn't be happier. The pros outweigh the cons by miles, in my opinion.

Besides, the fewer links in the connection chain - the better.

2019-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

MarcelN Posted at 9-3 11:49
Please explain me how to do it wrong with the set up. It’s just linkin and fly right?

The fact that your flying behind obstacles is a good place to start correcting, I don’t know what your set up is, what angle you choose to place antennas , I don’t know what environment you fly in. So maybe if you can first record or screenshot this signal at very close range being lost and let us know your set up then you might get some answers that might help .
2019-9-3
Use props
atort13mac.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1330479 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2019-3-31 02:30
Not sure where he got living in a European country you would have less signal.

Yes CE has weaker transmission than FCC, but that will be the same with normal controller so that makes no difference.

I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom with smart controller and yes in theory quicker to get going, but at the same time I find it SO much more cumbersome to get your footage to your iPhone to share with social media when out and about in the field.  I don't think I am use to it yet of course too, but still seems like it is more confusing than simply having your iPhone.  I have to fly with it for a couple weeks and then decide if I want to swap out or not.  Thoughts?
2020-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

atort13mac.com Posted at 3-30 15:11
I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom with smart controller and yes in theory quicker to get going, but at the same time I find it SO much more cumbersome to get your footage to your iPhone to share with social media when out and about in the field.  I don't think I am use to it yet of course too, but still seems like it is more confusing than simply having your iPhone.  I have to fly with it for a couple weeks and then decide if I want to swap out or not.  Thoughts?

Just use go share.
2020-3-30
Use props
atort13mac.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Parisi2274 Posted at 2019-9-3 06:35
How is the range with the SC compared to the normal RC?  Does it keep a stronger signal even at a greatest distance?

I am wondering the same thing and have read different things on this.
2020-3-31
Use props
atort13mac.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

It just seems more confusing with the file structures and having to navigate to all the folders and many were empty with no content.  Then I used go share and the files were numbered all weird.  I just don't know if it is going to be worth the extra money for me now especially in these crappy unknown times when spending an extra $600 may not make sense.
2020-3-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

atort13mac.com Posted at 3-31 06:27
It just seems more confusing with the file structures and having to navigate to all the folders and many were empty with no content.  Then I used go share and the files were numbered all weird.  I just don't know if it is going to be worth the extra money for me now especially in these crappy unknown times when spending an extra $600 may not make sense.

I think you should use these times to become mor familiar with your SC.
2020-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules