o(^-^)o
TheDon
Captain
Flight distance : 7951273 ft
  • >>>
Romania

IMG_2933.JPG

How to legally fly in Romania :

First thing first let me introduce you to the Romanian Civil Aviaton regulations regarding UAVS. To keep this thread as short as possible, I’m going to share my experience in a nutshell so that you readers can understand this time-consumig not so easy process.

Registering your drone :

Yes! You need to register your drone at the Romanian Civil Aviation authority just like any other aircraft. I have several drones registered, the process is...well a little bit time consuming.

IMG_2936.jpg

Documentation requirements to register your drone:

You need to send the Aviation Authority a proof of purchase, in one word the invoice you got from the seller from where you bought the drone,  a schematic drawing of the model/type and the invoice of the registration fee which sets you back with 90euros + VAT.

After all the necessary doccumentation is sent by e-mail to the Aeronautical Authority you'll get a confirmation. You'll need to wait between 2 weeks/ a month to be called to their headquarters in Bucharest. You can personally get there or send the drone by curier. Once there you’ll get a registration number sticker applied on your drone, the approved registration document and you'll also get a chip installed/glued inside your drone.

Certificate of identification
IMG_2923.jpg

The required documents which need to be completed can be found accessing the following link. Scroll down to the title with the number 21.

http://www.caa.ro/pages/aacr-forms-149

Note: The glued chip contains your name,adress etc it’s used for identification in case if you lose your drone or crash it. The info can be read out only from a couple of meters so don’t be afraid you can’t be tracked and identified from a greater distance.

IMG_2935.jpg

Things you need to know: Drones under 500grams do not need to be registered but still need an authorization for filming from the Ministry of National defence (MAPN). You might think that’s all. Well we are not even halfway... This is when the fun part begins. If till now you hated to fill out documents and draw basic geometrical structures it’s time to get used to it.

Two forms need to be completed in order to obtain flight and filming authorization. The first step is to obtain the authorization from the National Civil Aviation Authority. You need to fill a word document with your name, the date of flight type of drone gps coordinates/height and distance. The document can be downloaded by accessing the following link.

The second document for filming towards the Ministry of National defence is very similar to the first one, the same info needs to be added just like in the previous one. Separately you need to send a print screen of the location of filming, I mainly use Google Maps.  You need to limit/isolate the zone of filming, each point of filming spot needs to be highlighted with the exact GPS location coordinates.

IMG_2939 2.jpg
Note: In order to get the authorizations you need to send the the inquiry 10 working days before the planned flight.
Flight in urban areas / cities/  is forbidden and is punished by law. The only possible way to fly in cities is if you land and take off at the outskirts of the cities which in most cases is impossible.

Tip: Don’t apply for just on day of filming I usually ask for a longer period of time. Let’s say the filming is on the 15th of June, I ask for the permission from 15th till 20th June. You can’t really know the weather conditions 10 days before, so this way you are covered.

There’s one more step.... so let’s say you got the authorization and the day of flight and filming came. You need to call the Civil Aviation Authority to announce them 30minutes before flight and communicate your intention of flight. During this call youll be asked to give your name/phone number/time of starting you activity and registration number of your drone. Usually this process takes about 1 minute.

Flight guide:

• Drones may not be flown over densely populated areas and crowds of people or in cities. For special exceptions to these restrictions an application may be made to the AACR.
  • Drones may not be flown higher than 300 meters (984 feet).
  • Drone pilots must maintain a visual line of sight with their drone at all times.
  • For drones weighing more than 20 kilograms (44 pounds) insurance is mandatory.
  • Stay well clear of airports (at least 5km away)
  • DO NOT fly near or above crowded areas where you have a lot of people

Unfortantely I can not show you a permit from the National defense Ministry since its distribution is strictly forbidden.

Who can verify your activity?

The Police and the Gendarmerie can ask for authorizations. You need to have with you a copy of the drone registration document all the time, authorization for flight/filming also has to be shown othervise you might get a pretty hefty fine 4000 Euros. Flight with an unregistered drone might get you a criminal file also. For now this is the process which I undergo... hopefully better days will come that will ease our life a little bit.

Preparations:
test.jpg

Since obtaining the authorizations is such a hassle being well prepaired is a must. Preparing means owning a minimum of 3 batteries and keeping them fully charged is also necessary. I backup my data and format my memory cards everytime I get to do a new job. Invest in your equipment! Owning just the latest drone is not enough. When doing professional work having the right gear not only eases your workflow but also helps you to deliver qualitative work for for your clients. Having a backpack, a case in which you can store all your gear is the first step.
I use the PolarPro app quite often, it's not for just only calculating which ND filter you need, but also its one of the best weather checking app too. I mainly check the windspeed in different areas.
IMG_2954.jpg

Owning ND & polarized filters are also necessary. Needless to say you need fast micro SD cards I recommend 2x 64gb ones. Just have your charger with you all the time I also bought a dual charger so I can leave all three batteries charging.

Last year I’ve been filming at several locations in Romania most of them have been for my clients. I carry out all sorts of jobs from real-estate to documentaries. Here are some of my projects I took part just for yout to make an idea, you can also check all my photos uploaded on skypixel ;).

https://www.skypixel.com/users/szabolcs-ignacz-38ff0574-e0a2-40b9-8ecf-6f5a7729365b

IMG_2943.jpg

Last but not least here's one of my favourite clip I worked on last year! Be sure to check it out, definitely will make your day better.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to hit me up with any sort of question. Hope my thread has been informative ;).

2019-3-30
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Nicely done, great information
2019-3-30
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

maddox Posted at 3-30 19:24
Nicely done, great information

Thank you Maddox! ;)
2019-3-30
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

This one is amazing! So does the concert!
2019-3-31
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Panda Posted at 3-31 19:18
This one is amazing! So does the concert!

Thank you Panda! Glad you like it
2019-3-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very good information!
2019-3-31
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

Lengthy, terrific write-up...albeit seemingly impossible for someone that just wants to visit.
2019-4-1
Use props
ParideM
Captain
Flight distance : 6103757 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Many thanks for sharing it! Nicely done
2019-4-1
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Montfrooij Posted at 3-31 22:24
Very good information!

Thank you Montfrooij!
2019-4-1
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

JHollimanPhoto Posted at 4-1 01:36
Lengthy, terrific write-up...albeit seemingly impossible for someone that just wants to visit.

Thank you JHollimanPhoto! I tried to explain as simple as possible. Unfortunately there's no difference in commercial and hobby flights, legally you need to follow these steps....
2019-4-1
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

ParideM Posted at 4-1 06:17
Many thanks for sharing it! Nicely done

Thank you very much! Glad you liked it!
2019-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TheDon Posted at 4-1 06:41
Thank you Montfrooij!

You're welcome!
2019-4-1
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Helpful tips and great video in the end. Love Bregovich so much since his erlier works with Kusturita. Thanks for sharing!
2019-4-1
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Excellent info !!
2019-4-2
Use props
Hartyaj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49478 ft

Australia

How amazing is the concert, great work.
2019-4-2
Use props
Dragonflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 260932 ft
Australia

Very informative strategy and great video
Romania is definitely a country I would love to visit is my fathers birthplace but a long way from mine in Australia.
Probably visit without my phantom. So good to see some of a culture I grew up with. Thanks great post!
2019-4-2
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

TheDon Posted at 3-30 23:40
Thank you Maddox! ;)

You're welcome TheDon
2019-4-2
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-1 12:16
Helpful tips and great video in the end. Love Bregovich so much since his erlier works with Kusturita. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! Yep he's a legend!
2019-4-2
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Thank you very much!
2019-4-2
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Hartyaj Posted at 4-2 00:49
How amazing is the concert, great work.

Thank you! It has been fun to film also
2019-4-2
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Dragonflyer Posted at 4-2 04:42
Very informative strategy and great video
Romania is definitely a country I would love to visit is my fathers birthplace but a long way from mine in Australia.
Probably visit without my phantom. So good to see some of a culture I grew up with. Thanks great post!

Thank you very much! Glad I could bring up some memories. You can bring a spark or Mavic Air
2019-4-2
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Good tips but too onerous for visitors to Romania.  Visited last summer and got some great shots.  My tip, fly early in the day when there are no people around.  Links to some Google Maps 360s.
Bran Castle

Clock Tower
2019-4-2
Use props
Dragonflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 260932 ft
Australia

TheDon Posted at 4-2 06:57
Thank you very much! Glad I could bring up some memories. You can bring a spark or Mavic Air

Thanks again never travelled yet but Romania is definitely first on the list. I am also musician so love to hear new music and see festivals I will now listen  some more to Goran and Carla's dream
2019-4-2
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

Thanks for the very comprehensive article, I can accept all but installing a chip on board, even only from few meter trasmit the  signal  , is a big no, no from me .
Dont know, why a leisure type gadget is become so threatening and goverment authorities are racing to  place so much regulations and restriction ,which some are understandable but majorities are  simple" Big Brother"  to me.
I have also started to get a felling I own a military long range drone rather than a DJI hobby drone. Instead of freely fly  and record nice birds eye view videos, I must finalise the complex and complicated regulations which are  killing my enjoyment.  
2019-4-3
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

akozc Posted at 4-3 00:04
Thanks for the very comprehensive article, I can accept all but installing a chip on board, even only from few meter trasmit the  signal  , is a big no, no from me .
Dont know, why a leisure type gadget is become so threatening and goverment authorities are racing to  place so much regulations and restriction ,which some are understandable but majorities are  simple" Big Brother"  to me.
I have also started to get a felling I own a military long range drone rather than a DJI hobby drone. Instead of freely fly  and record nice birds eye view videos, I must finalise the complex and complicated regulations which are  killing my enjoyment.

I surely agree with your statement.
2019-4-3
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 4-2 13:24
Good tips but too onerous for visitors to Romania.  Visited last summer and got some great shots.  My tip, fly early in the day when there are no people around.  Links to some Google Maps 360s.
Bran Castle

Nice shot! ;) no problem if you're not caught )
2019-4-8
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

akozc Posted at 4-3 00:04
Thanks for the very comprehensive article, I can accept all but installing a chip on board, even only from few meter trasmit the  signal  , is a big no, no from me .

Thank you! It was my pleasure. Unfortunately this is the procedure for now....
2019-4-8
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Pinker Posted at 4-7 04:24
Thank you for your helpful information

My pleasure!
2019-4-8
Use props
SchwarzM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59423 ft
Romania

I think that you should also mention that drones under 450 grams (like Mavic Air) don't need registration, but if you fly them in the city or over the crowds you will need flight confirmation from the Aviation.
2019-4-9
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

SchwarzM Posted at 4-9 00:25
I think that you should also mention that drones under 450 grams (like Mavic Air) don't need registration, but if you fly them in the city or over the crowds you will need flight confirmation from the Aviation.

If you read carefully it’s mentioned. Filming in cities is not allowed be at under 500grams or above...
2019-4-9
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

SchwarzM Posted at 4-9 00:25

If you read carefully it’s mentioned. Filming in cities is not allowed be at under 500grams or above...
2019-4-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Congratulations!
2019-6-3
Use props
G37 Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49741 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-7-31
Use props
Krisp.
lvl.1

Hey great info!! I'm traveling to Romainia in about 3 weeks. My drone only weights 430 grams(Mavic Air) do I still need to register? I'm so confused cause I hear differently everywhere and I can't seem to get an email back from anything
2019-9-16
Use props
fansd59551e2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2340295 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Great Information! Although all this paperwork makes me afraid of taking my Spark with me.. As you said drones under 500 gr can avoid registration right? How could I make the paperwork?
2019-11-18
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

Thanks for the share.
2020-4-19
Use props
US5FET
lvl.1

Netherlands

and most important think here didnt mentioned that its all valid for Romanian citizens!
2022-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules