Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suggestions for Stereo Mic with Osmo Pocket?
7142 26 2019-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AleX Spin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3 ft
Italy

Hi everyone.
Finally today today I got the Osmo Pocket Mic Adapter.
Now I'm looking for a good semi-pro stereo mic that will work well with the pocket to pick up live music in different scenarios (from acustic situations to live concerts with loud PA systems).
Does anyone have good suggestions for me?
Did someone test the Pocket with the Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro Rycote?
Thank you in advance and greetings from Italy.
AleX
2019-3-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AleX Spin. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope you'll get the best tips and recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2019-3-30
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have to record stereo I highly suggest that you stick with an external recorder for now.

I don’t think that anyone has had good results with using a stereo microphone to capture true stereo separation with the Osmo Pocket yet.

You might want to look through the audio tests posted on this forum to pick a good Mono microphone for your Osmo Pocket.

Bob
2019-3-30
Use props
AleX Spin
lvl.2
Italy

BobWinNV Posted at 3-30 11:16
If you have to record stereo I highly suggest that you stick with an external recorder for now.

I don’t think that anyone has had good results with using a stereo microphone to capture true stereo separation with the Osmo Pocket yet.

Thanks for your reply, Bob.
It seems I won't find much help ...
May I ask youI which stereo microphones you have tried that you are not satisfied with?
Thanks again.
2019-3-30
Use props
AleX Spin
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-30 11:15
Hello and good day AleX Spin. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope you'll get the best tips and recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers with regards to this matter. Thank you.

Hi Stephenson, good day to you!
Any advice from your side?
Thanks!
2019-3-30
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AleX Spin Posted at 3-30 13:05
Thanks for your reply, Bob.
It seems I won't find much help ...
May I ask youI which stereo microphones you have tried that you are not satisfied with?

Alex,

Check the Stereo Sony ECM CS3 just after the 2 minute mark of this video.

Bob
2019-3-30
Use props
AleX Spin
lvl.2
Italy

BobWinNV Posted at 3-30 14:00
Alex,

Today I had the chance to test, at high sound pressure level, some mono dinamic microphones I use for different purposes (Shure SM 57, SM 58, Sennheiser E 935, Beyerdynamic M88TG and some other) .
So far, the best results, with an acceptable dinamic range, were obtained using the M88TG.
Unfortunately, due to his weight, it's not the solution I'm looking for the Pocket.
A self powered stereo condenser mic with a nominal impedance of around 200Ω might be a nice choice.
On paper, from the specs and the available settings, the Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro Rycote might be what I'm looking for. I watched some reviwes and on DLSR sounds amazing.
Before investng money, would be nice to know if and with which results, some one tried already this solution.
Cheers.
2019-3-30
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

AleX Spin Posted at 3-30 14:50
Today I had the chance to test, at high sound pressure level, some mono dinamic microphones I use for different purposes (Shure SM 57, SM 58, Sennheiser E 935, Beyerdynamic M88TG and some other) .
So far, the best results, with an acceptable dinamic range, were obtained using the M88TG.
Unfortunately, due to his weight, it's not the solution I'm looking for the Pocket.

The Osmo Pocket is not a DSLR. The adapter is poorly constructed and near as I can tell there are no drivers in it for  stereo. I tested 8 mic’s. Mostly pro mic’s. I have the Rode videomic. It records about 30 dB below what it should do.  I couldn’t get stereo. The most clear mic’s I found is the A.Lav, plugged directly into he adapter - no battery needed. I also have success with a Lav made by AT, its just an inexpensive  Lav from Audio Technica.

Sorry to have to tell you.
2019-3-30
Use props
AleX Spin
lvl.2
Italy

TheCameraGuy Posted at 3-30 16:24
The Osmo Pocket is not a DSLR. The adapter is poorly constructed and near as I can tell there are no drivers in it for  stereo. I tested 8 mic’s. Mostly pro mic’s. I have the Rode videomic. It records about 30 dB below what it should do.  I couldn’t get stereo. The most clear mic’s I found is the A.Lav, plugged directly into he adapter - no battery needed. I also have success with a Lav made by AT, its just an inexpensive  Lav from Audio Technica.

Sorry to have to tell you.

Hi, thanks for your reply and advices.

I'm a little disppointed as in the thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-184154-1-1.html Dji Stephen was stating "The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output  audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo."

I was assuming that the adapter TRS connector is suitable for a balanced mono signal or an unbalanced L+R stereo.
2019-3-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

AleX Spin Posted at 3-30 23:16
Hi, thanks for your reply and advices.

I'm a little disppointed as in the thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-184154-1-1.html Dji Stephen was stating "The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output  audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo."

I think a lot of us were and it's still not a 100% resolved issue, one way or the other.
Let me try to explain.
The adapter is definitely a two-channel input connector.
The output from the Osmo Pocket definitely shows two channels are being recorded but at present both channels are showing either identical waveform outputs or phase variant forms on the second channel rather than two distinct separate waveforms.
Some of us have tried all types of ways to produce separate left and right channel recordings to no avail so far but not is all clear as to why as yet.
Originally at its release, when only a few people got pre-production versions of the Osmo Pocket a lot of reviewers complained of handling and wind noises so before its release, DJI made a firmware update to the Pocket to reduce noise.
We think (People trying out the audio adapter now) that the noise reduction function changed the behavior of the noise-reduction output but may be reversible in a future firmware update but we just don't know and even then we don't know if the result will be true stereo or not. DJI, as usual, have not said what is true or not so we don't know definitively one way or the other.

I personally think that originally the OsmoPocket was only meant to ever be a vlogging portable video camera with bolt-on options to enhance its performance and appeal.
Unfortunately for DJI, it's phenomenal video capabilities for its size has meant its appeal has widened beyond its possible original remit and as such has meant much more demanding expectations from its user base than DJI expected.

I think a lot of people hope a lot can be updated via firmware to make this product more usable than it already is, but in reality, I suspect a lot of what is being asked for may end up in the next version of this remarkable portable video camera.

On a separate note about the audio from the Osmo Pocket.
In most scenarios, the output of most microphones using the adapter are not giving anywhere near the volume output to get close to a 0dBm output. This can, of course, be corrected in post but may introduce some additional noise to the quieter parts of a recording. A lot will depend on the mic chosen and recording conditions but its a big area for possible improvement.

2019-3-31
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-31 05:08
I think a lot of us were and it's still not a 100% resolved issue, one way or the other.
Let me try to explain.
The adapter is definitely a two-channel input connector.

Yes, I agree. There is a lot of confusion. The issue in my opinion is that DJI could solve the problem by simply posting on the Osmo Pocket page, or this forum answers to the following questions:

1. Is the adapter and recording format Mono or Stereo.

2. If it's stereo, what mic will work. We have already determined not all microphones work at all with the Osmo Pocket.

3. Do a proper firmware update that enables all mics to work in the format the mic is. That means either mono or stereo.

The silence, which is symbolic of DJI's operating philosophy is frustrating and frankly unprofessional. This is not the first time I've said this about DJI and I expect it will happen again.
2019-4-1
Use props
Vinc26
lvl.3
France

Hi there,

Has anyone tested the combination of these two products:
- 2x https://www.amazon.com/EDUTIGE-3-Pole-Uni-Directional-Microphone-ETM-008/dp/B00J5GQ7AW/
- 1x https://www.amazon.com/Edutige-Eyl-001-Microphone-Stereo-Camera/dp/B013ZQVMJ8

I'm looking for a solution to record separately and unidirectihonnely the operator and the subject.

Vincent
2019-7-8
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Vinc26 Posted at 7-8 13:15
Hi there,

Has anyone tested the combination of these two products:

I don’t know if anyone tried these. I’m using the Rode wireless mic’s and have found good success. They are about $200, but they give good sounds and are fun to use. I use them with my recording purposes.
2019-7-10
Use props
Vinc26
lvl.3
France

Hi,

And you have 2 mic in wireless to the Osmo pocket ?
2019-7-11
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Vinc26 Posted at 7-11 08:08
Hi,

And you have 2 mic in wireless to the Osmo pocket ?

Hi.

You can't connect any two microphones to the Pocket and get separation for both. The same with a stereo mic, you don't get proper two channel separation.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-7-11
Use props
fanse55a7666
lvl.3
France

Even with a DSLR, preamps are crap. You cannot have good results without a decent preamp. The best solution is to get 2 appaired little membrane condenser mics (In XY, ORTF...) with an external recorder. It's very simple to sync the result with your footage.
2019-7-13
Use props
Laki21
lvl.1

Croatia

BobWinNV Posted at 3-30 14:00
Alex,

Hi! How is Sony ECM CS3 connected with Osmo Pocket Adapter? Directly, or...?
2019-12-5
Use props
Idan Shahar
lvl.3

Israel

I wanna add my experience.I got my 3.5 adapter and took the OP and a ZOOM H5 to a metal show.
It was ok!
The ZOOM was set to a good volume using the gain knob, and I didn't change any setting on the OP, I don't know on which setting it was on.
This is a video I shot at the show, no editing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 47/view?usp=sharing

The volume at the show wasn't super high but anyways the gain was controlled mostly by the ZOOM H5.
It's in stereo so the 3.5 adapter is indeed stereo.

(the show was a MEH tribute show btw)
2019-12-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Idan Shahar Posted at 12-5 04:19
I wanna add my experience.I got my 3.5 adapter and took the OP and a ZOOM H5 to a metal show.
It was ok!
The ZOOM was set to a good volume using the gain knob, and I didn't change any setting on the OP, I don't know on which setting it was on.

That is very interesting. The sound does seem to be stereo, so what is the output of the H5 set to and the input as I know some zoom recorders have multiple settings. If it was a line output maybe the adapter input has to be driven to a certain level or have a certain impedance / voltage to produce a stereo output or maybe there is an electronic 'wide' setting that causes it.
2019-12-5
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

A comparsion between the original track from the Zoom H5 and OP recorded track is the right answer.
2019-12-5
Use props
Laki21
lvl.1

Croatia

Osmo pocket mic adapter have TRRS female 3.5mm input?
2019-12-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Laki21 Posted at 12-5 07:01
Osmo pocket mic adapter have TRRS female 3.5mm input?

No, it's TRS.
2019-12-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 12-5 06:13
A comparsion between the original track from the Zoom H5 and OP recorded track is the right answer.

Hi Oh-no.
Possibly, but there have been occasions when recording with the Osmo Pockets internal mics where sound has been coming from odd angles and the volume has been high where I've heard a similar performance from My Osmo Pocket. I can't just produce it when I want to and it happens very rarely and is still slightly off as in you can tell the mics are not facing the ways they should to get a good stereo image. Running water also always sounds phasey. Not mono and not stereo but always slightly out.
2019-12-5
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-5 08:29
Hi Oh-no.
Possibly, but there have been occasions when recording with the Osmo Pockets internal mics where sound has been coming from odd angles and the volume has been high where I've heard a similar performance from My Osmo Pocket. I can't just produce it when I want to and it happens very rarely and is still slightly off as in you can tell the mics are not facing the ways they should to get a good stereo image. Running water also always sounds phasey. Not mono and not stereo but always slightly out.

Sorry, I missed the description for the OP recorded track, it should be the feed from Zoom H5 to the OP via the audio adapter.
2019-12-5
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Laki21 Posted at 12-5 03:08
Hi! How is Sony ECM CS3 connected with Osmo Pocket Adapter? Directly, or...?

It was connected through the DJI 3.5 mm microphone adapter.  Directly into the audio adapter.
2019-12-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 12-5 08:58
It was connected through the DJI 3.5 mm microphone adapter.  Directly into the audio adapter.

Sorry Bob, but I was replying to Idan Shahar's post and video.
2019-12-5
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-5 12:16
Sorry Bob, but I was replying to Idan Shahar's post and video.

No problem Ray.
2019-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules