2691 5 2019-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tommy Conway
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129741 ft
United States

Hello,
           I'm writing this thread to help myself understand the Sense and Avoidance system on my Inspire 2.

DJI's advertisement: see attachment showing the location of the Upward Obstacle Avoidance sensors. inspire 2 Sense and Avoid
Forward and downward vision systems enable the Inspire 2 to detect obstacles up to 30 meters ahead, allowing for protected flight at up to 34mph (54kph)
at a controllable attitude angle of 25°. Upward facing infrared sensors scan obstacles 16ft (5m) above, adding protection when flying in enclosed spaces.
Obstacle sensing systems are active during normal flight, RTH and all Intelligent Flight Modes.These sensors are core components of the DJI FlightAutonomy
system, which brings the below intelligent features to the Inspire 2:

I was flying in a tight space. Five feet off the ground, five  feet away from me. I notice the battery life was at 15%.  I dropped the landing gear useing the switch on the controller and started my descent.  Before i was able to land the battery life changed to 11%, the RTH Low Battery mode engaged, the landing gear went up and the craft ascended into an obstacle above it.

Two thousand dollars later for repairs and DJI Support stating the aircraft had no malfunctioning sensors, I'm left with myself trying to understand the functionality of the sensors.

I know and understand an option would be to disable this feature...

Any advice, suggestions, or comments please...........

2019-3-31
Use props
Tommy Conway
lvl.1
United States

Addendum to above:          On a previous flight the aircraft was travel 18 mph and hit the side of a large tree and  the obstacle avoidance did not work as well.
2019-3-31
Use props
MrLauriie
New
Flight distance : 638084 ft
United Kingdom

I think it's a 'tick' option in the RTH settings and other autopilot features for it to trust sensors like the upwards avoidance.

Same case for the tree - although it should stop when it recognises it. Branches may have interfered with this!

This seems rather backwards, almost like DJI doesn't trust its own sensors! I always make sure these are still ticked after running a firmware (as they do sometimes untick themselves!)
2019-3-31
Use props
Tommy Conway
lvl.1
United States

MrLauriie Posted at 3-31 10:02
I think it's a 'tick' option in the RTH settings and other autopilot features for it to trust sensors like the upwards avoidance.

Same case for the tree - although it should stop when it recognises it. Branches may have interfered with this!

Thank you Mr. Laurie.
2019-4-1
Use props
Airking Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3228383 ft
Argentina

Bad luck man. For shure the sensor were not working as they should. I our drone, it beeped when we were hovering in front of a rope.
BTW, for maximum precautions, we never let the battery go down too much when the situation is risky to avoid this kind of things. Our setting is 35% warning, 15% critical. That way you have from 35 to 15 to decide if you come back quickly or extend a little bit more the flight.
Best regards and good luck with DJI. They have the worst after sales support ever in a company this size. Or just the worst service ever. Size does not matter.
2019-5-6
Use props
Airking Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3228383 ft
Argentina

Bad luck man. For shure the sensor were not working as they should. In our drone, it beeped when we were hovering in front of a rope.
BTW, for maximum precautions, we never let the battery go down too much when the situation is risky to avoid this kind of things. Our setting is 35% warning, 15% critical. That way you have from 35 to 15 to decide if you come back quickly or extend a little bit more the flight.
Best regards and good luck with DJI. They have the worst after sales support ever in a company this size. Or just the worst service ever. Size does not matter.
2019-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules