Free fall and restart..what if.
4185 9 2019-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chipper59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1344406 ft
Canada

Sorry if this sounds like a ridiculous question but I can’t help but wonder .......

What do you think would happen if you went up to 500m, shut off the motors and attempted to restart them during the free fall.

A. Would it start if it were say, upside down ?
B. If it did start, would it regain composure?

I’m not about to try it, but I’m sure someone out there has....perhaps during testing ?
2019-3-31
Use props
Trailkill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 317031 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're right it's been done.

2019-3-31
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

the mavic pro motors turn off if/when the drone is tilted beyond 90 degrees to upside down - therefore i assume that if the motors can be restarted before the drone begins to tumble then it has a chance of maintaining flight BUT i think the chance of being able to restart the motors before the drone starts falling/tumbling down is, although not impossible, slim to unlikley. no it will not start if upside down and therefore cannot regain composure if it could not restart in the first place. Good to hear you do not wish to try it :-)
2019-3-31
Use props
Chipper59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1344406 ft
Canada

Trailkill Posted at 3-31 10:41
You're right it's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlfpFdbztM4

Hilarious!
I’m relieved to know I’m not the only one who thought about this...although I never would have attempted it.....(unless a new Mavic 2 fit in my budget).
2019-3-31
Use props
Awethentique
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1522 ft

South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2019-3-31 10:44
the mavic pro motors turn off if/when the drone is tilted beyond 90 degrees to upside down - therefore i assume that if the motors can be restarted before the drone begins to tumble then it has a chance of maintaining flight BUT i think the chance of being able to restart the motors before the drone starts falling/tumbling down is, although not impossible, slim to unlikley. no it will not start if upside down and therefore cannot regain composure if it could not restart in the first place. Good to hear you do not wish to try it :-)

Sorry to rehash an old thread, Just that this came up in my google search and, I thought to ask, if a strong enough gust of wind were to tilt your drone briefly beyond 90 degrees, would the software and sensors not compensate to correct it? Perhaps by almost completely stalling the two propellers on the lifted side of the drone, then when it recovers, return to normal.
2020-7-10
Use props
NiNo Brown
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33942267 ft
United Kingdom

Damn, my heart stopped for the dude...but definitely great to know..
2020-7-10
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Uum just incase the differences in model are relevant the OP is asking about a Mavic 2 xyz, not a Mavic abc.

2020-7-10
Use props
Dean01
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Awethentique Posted at 7-10 00:14
Sorry to rehash an old thread, Just that this came up in my google search and, I thought to ask, if a strong enough gust of wind were to tilt your drone briefly beyond 90 degrees, would the software and sensors not compensate to correct it? Perhaps by almost completely stalling the two propellers on the lifted side of the drone, then when it recovers, return to normal.

yes i believe soft ware sensors work with motors to keep the drone within attitude limitations.

I often fly in very strong winds and to date no wind has turned my drone over.
I do think that perhaps if i was doing a strong downwind speed run and then hit a 180 degree turn back into the wind - that this might tip my drone but i have no desire to try it - so at the end of a speed run i will throttle down and turn slowly around so as to limit my risk of tipping.

Drones seem to be incredibly resiliant to tipping over in strong winds -  but perhaps it can or does happen.

Some times on the windiest days i go to the hills to try break my speed records.
Some of those days the wind is all over the place with big gust coming through - yet fortunately to date no wind no matter how crazy has managed to throw my drone over.

ps: when /if doing high wind flying always try to fly up wind of your home point so that getting home is a downwind trip. Many drones are lost in the rth in high wind.
2020-7-21
Use props
fans177681fe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1194662 ft
United States

That video was nuts.
2020-7-22
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

Careful planning of the stunt in a large, empty field - but then very nearly crashed it into the car park!  This is why drones get bad press.
2020-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules