Savannahlanda Train Cairns
937 24 2019-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RJB1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32031 ft

Australia

I've seriously had some bad luck since getting this drone. I've been trying to shoot this train for over a month, but it only comes through town once a week and its not always right on time. First time I arrived to find it early and never managed to get a shot before it was gone. The next week I was just a little late and it was right on time! I rushed to get in the air and couldnt get the camera off auto quick enough and ended up with it under exposed, kind of gave it a nice silhoutte though. Then this week, it was late, it started rain and the good ole spark decided to get its hopping desease again! I was determind to get some kind of shot, so hand held it. The train also stopped this time so was able to get it leaving too. I added the over exposed shot at the end.

2019-3-31
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

I like trains and this train is definitely awesome!
Let's talk about 'overexposed' and 'underexposed'. Overexposed means that you loose information in highlights when it turns to complete White. Underexposed means that you loose information in your shadows when it turns in complete Black. It is always better to do underexposed image then overexposed, because you can 'pull up' lost information by adjusting in video editor (Premiere Pro does it quite well even in Auto). Your end image looks exactly UNDERexposed, so you can easily improve it in post-production.
2019-4-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-1 02:11
Let's talk about 'overexposed' and 'underexposed'. Overexposed means that you loose information in highlights when it turns to complete White. Underexposed means that you loose information in your shadows when it turns in complete Black. It is always better to do underexposed image then overexposed, because you can 'pull up' lost information by adjusting in video editor (Premiere Pro does it quite well even in Auto). Your end image looks exactly UNDERexpose, so you can easily improve it in post-production.

Very good explanation.
2019-4-1
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-1 02:11
Let's talk about 'overexposed' and 'underexposed'. Overexposed means that you loose information in highlights when it turns to complete White. Underexposed means that you loose information in your shadows when it turns in complete Black. It is always better to do underexposed image then overexposed, because you can 'pull up' lost information by adjusting in video editor (Premiere Pro does it quite well even in Auto). Your end image looks exactly UNDERexposed, so you can easily improve it in post-production.

Yep, I'd said it was under exposed. I actually use to take a fair bit of photography in the old days before digital, when you HAD to get the exposure right because you didn't have the convenience of a little screen to instantly see what you shot. I've given up for now with Adobe Premier Pro, as trying to make it work with only 4gb of ram just isn't cutting it. So I'm just chucking it in Movie Maker. I did try bringing up the exposure in post, but it washed out the sky too much and got really noisy.

Some idiot tried to beat the train at a crossing again and the train hit the car. This is about the 3rd time in 6 months! They are idiot drivers here. But from the news article about the crash i finally found out when the train leaves town. Until now I only knew when it returned. So now I have two chances a week to film it! Plus I think I fixed the Spark hop, again. Yes its a cool train, 55 years old and still going strong.

EditOh I see what I did, I called it under exposed first, but then mixed it up the second time and called it over. That was just a brain fart.
2019-4-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day RJB1. Thank you for sharing this video and thank you for your support. Great work.
2019-4-1
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Ukraine

RJB1 Posted at 4-1 03:03
Yep, I'd said it was under exposed. I actually use to take a fair bit of photography in the old days before digital, when you HAD to get the exposure right because you didn't have the convenience of a little screen to instantly see what you shot. I've given up for now with Adobe Premier Pro, as trying to make it work with only 4gb of ram just isn't cutting it. So I'm just chucking it in Movie Maker. I did try bringing up the exposure in post, but it washed out the sky too much and got really noisy.

Some idiot tried to beat the train at a crossing again and the train hit the car. This is about the 3rd time in 6 months! They are idiot drivers here. But from the news article about the crash i finally found out when the train leaves town. Until now I only knew when it returned. So now I have two chances a week to film it! Plus I think I fixed the Spark hop, again. Yes its a cool train, 55 years old and still going strong.

Show us more from this location. I would like to see a train station. It would be great to combine some aerial shots with images from the ground. Sadly but all I know about Australia, I saw in ‘Crocodile Dundee’ and read in Gerald Durrell’s ‘Two in the Bush’. So as for me, it’s quite interesting to see how is it to live on completely another continent with different climat, customs and history.
2019-4-1
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-1 13:41
Show us more from this location. I would like to see a train station. It would be great to combine some aerial shots with images from the ground. Sadly but all I know about Australia, I saw in ‘Crocodile Dundee’ and read in Gerald Durrell’s ‘Two in the Bush’. So as for me, it’s quite interesting to see how is it to live on completely another continent with different climat, customs and history.

yes sir! haha There is another train that passes through on this line that is also a tourist train. Its only a diesel but the carriages are nice. There was also a steam train that came all the way up from Brisbane 2000km away a couple of years ago to celebrate the railway lines 150th birthday. I would like to get more aerial shots obviously since I have a Spark! but like I said its just been bad luck and a small window of opportunity. The Savannahlander is quite interesting in that it goes all the way from the coast here, up the mountains to what they call the tablelands, and then out into the outback. Its a very expensive tourist package trip. The link is here if you are interested. https://www.savannahlander.com.au/

I just found the old video i took of the steam train. I'll put it together and post in a bit.
2019-4-1
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-1 13:41
Show us more from this location. I would like to see a train station. It would be great to combine some aerial shots with images from the ground. Sadly but all I know about Australia, I saw in ‘Crocodile Dundee’ and read in Gerald Durrell’s ‘Two in the Bush’. So as for me, it’s quite interesting to see how is it to live on completely another continent with different climat, customs and history.

here you go.

2019-4-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool footage
2019-4-2
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

Thanks A J
2019-4-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome
2019-4-2
Use props
ArnoSpark
Second Officer
Kenya

The trains looks really cool, i would love to try trains soon thanks for sharing  
2019-4-2
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Ukraine

Wow, I saw such steam machine only as a still museum. What a powerful thing, you are so lucky that can see it in real life! And view on the background is amazing too. Keep it going
2019-4-2
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

oh no sir you are welcome. (are we just bumping up points here?)
2019-4-2
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

ArnoSpark Posted at 4-2 04:36
The trains looks really cool, i would love to try trains soon  thanks for sharing

Thanks, yes be great to get more actual drone footage of them.
2019-4-2
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-2 04:54
Wow, I saw such steam machine only as a still museum. What a powerful thing, you are so lucky that can see it in real life! And view on the background is amazing too. Keep it going

Thanks, yes its a great backdrop. Hope I can get that drone footage soon...if it ever stops raining!

Really, Ukraine doesn't have any working steam trains anymore? As i wrote that i thought "hello internet and google" So did a search and yes you do have steam trains.

2019-4-2
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Ukraine

RJB1 Posted at 4-2 10:43
Thanks, yes its a great backdrop. Hope I can get that drone footage soon...if it ever stops raining!

Really, Ukraine doesn't have any working steam trains anymore? As i wrote that i thought "hello internet and google" So did a search and yes you do have steam trains.

Yes, sometimes here and there they run these beautiful monsters. But it is not a regular event and it’s quite difficult to get there. I live in the South part of the country and these events are mostly organized in the West part. It is more then 1000mi. Last Christmas they provide four trips (one per a day) and was selling 900 tickets at all. I just did’t catch this opportunity. Maybe next winter...
2019-4-2
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 4-2 11:43
Yes, sometimes here and there they run these beautiful monsters. But it is not a regular event and it’s quite difficult to get there. I live in the South part of the country and these events are mostly organized in the West part. It is more then 1000mi. Last Christmas they provide four trips (one per a day) and was selling 900 tickets at all. I just did’t catch this opportunity. Maybe next winter...

Wow running it in winter would be really cool..literally!
2019-4-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RJB1 Posted at 4-2 10:36
oh no sir you are welcome. (are we just bumping up points here?)

Not at all - I don't think 3 points will make that much of a difference to me lol - just being polite
2019-4-2
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

A J Posted at 4-2 23:03
Not at all - I don't think 3 points will make that much of a difference to me lol - just being polite

Ok then, well thank you! again, is there a point at which saying thank you is redundant? Like saying thank you for someone saying thank you? haha
2019-4-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RJB1 Posted at 4-3 13:15
Ok then, well thank you! again, is there a point at which saying thank you is redundant? Like saying thank you for someone saying thank you? haha

I believe so as that would be over the top lol but thanks all the same
2019-4-3
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Awesome video, nice work
2019-4-6
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

maddox Posted at 4-6 23:19
Awesome video, nice work

Thanks. Been busy this weekend so yet another week before I can try and film it again.
2019-4-7
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

RJB1 Posted at 4-7 04:00
Thanks. Been busy this weekend so yet another week before I can try and film it again.

You're welcome buddy~!
2019-4-9
Use props
ernie_e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing.
2020-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now