recommendations on device to use on Controller
4819 22 2019-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingV
lvl.2
United States

On several videos I've seen glare issues with smart phones attached to the DJI Mavic 2 controller.
What do you recommend between using an iPhone, an iPad mini (larger image but not easy to handle with the controls at the top).

The  Smart Controler looks good but I'd rather go with a device that could server other functions.
2019-4-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPad mini 4 with a tablet holder
2019-4-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use the iPhone XS with my M2P: perfect fit, very portable, the live feed in 1080p is stunning and never had a single glitch or disconnection. I'd recommend the iPad mini 4 if you want a larger screen size. Note that IOS works better with DJI drones than Android (it even says 'made for iPhone' on the box the drone is shipped in). That said the Smart Controller is very tempting but I'm yet to pull the trigger...
2019-4-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day FlyingV. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I would recommend using a mobile device that is listed on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro for compatibility and reliability for both the drone and tha DJI Go 4 application. I will be posting the list of recommended mobile devices for the said drone. Thank you.

2019-4-2
Use props
Paul_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4472 ft
United States

I gave up on the phone routine due to the washout on sunlight.  Went with the CrystalSly and would never want to go back to using a phone.
2019-4-2
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Note 8 user. No problems.

Re. Glare ... I use a sun shade if required, made to fit perfect  by my gf. Again, no issues.
2019-4-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

At least with the smart remote no need for ridiculous hoods that require you having to almost get your face stuck in them, causing all sorts of problems with VLOS, also having to continually put hoods on off carry them around with you, waste of good flying time. Get A SRC and forget about other devices, let your SRC be your dedicated device for flying your drone .
Way to much glare with iPhones my XR was a nightmare with glare .
2019-4-2
Use props
FLYINHASS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21975 ft
Switzerland

Paul_ Posted at 4-2 09:09
I gave up on the phone routine due to the washout on sunlight.  Went with the CrystalSly and would never want to go back to using a phone.

No doubt on that point Paul, sadly dji software works better for IPhones, Cristalsky running Android isn't that good sadly. Anyway I did the right choice though, had no flight issues so far, I simply can't enjoy all the functions they advertise! I won't update that soon and use it with what is working fine!
2019-4-2
Use props
drvosjeca
lvl.1
Slovenia

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-2 07:35
Hello and good day FlyingV. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I would recommend using a mobile device that is listed on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro for compatibility and reliability for both the drone and tha DJI Go 4 application. I will be posting the list of recommended mobile devices for the said drone. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hi,
I saw this topic already here so i hope i can popup my question here...

I just bought mavic 2 pro and i have Samsung S8+... from first few things i managed to test things worked fine until i wanted to test tracking, there it is basicly saying that my device is not good enough, it also swithches from 1080 to normal mode when i try to enable active track. Any ideas what is going on?

I did close all other apps in order to give it more room and even uninstalled some i dont use, but still... I just cant believe my phone is not good enough for this.

thank you in advance
2019-4-5
Use props
OllieM2P-Aus
lvl.2
Australia

A J Posted at 4-2 00:31
I use the iPhone XS with my M2P: perfect fit, very portable, the live feed in 1080p is stunning and never had a single glitch or disconnection. I'd recommend the iPad mini 4 if you want a larger screen size. Note that IOS works better with DJI drones than Android (it even says 'made for iPhone' on the box the drone is shipped in). That said the Smart Controller is very tempting but I'm yet to pull the trigger...

"it even says made for iphone"

I think people need to understand what this actually means.
It doesn't mean that it is made exclusively for iphones
It doesn't mean it works better on iphones
All it means is that iphones are supported.

This started back in the day when most computer applications / games were made for PCs and not Macs (Apple).

So when you actually saw "for mac" on the box, it was simply to let people know this was the version that supported mac/apple.
2019-4-5
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

People with iphones seem to report less problems as the operating system is locked down by Apple so less variability than Android phones which have many variations added to the operating system by different manufacturers.

Given all that, one common complaint about iphones is the failure of Go4 to correctly use iphone GPS data to update the home point if one is moving. DJI often say that they are 'addressing' this.

I personally use Android on a non-supported Lenovo tablet with no problems in over a year's use. I selected it because the tablet runs a pretty pure version of Android with no manufacturer's 'tweaks' to the system (plus it was affordable).

Sure it charges the r/c during use but this is a feature of the Android system and not a real issue if everything is 100% charged prior to flying - easily capable of lasting for 4 flight batteries on my Mavic Pro

For visibility under bright conditions the CrystalSky and SC users report great results - just remember that these are dedicated devices though.

At the end of the day it all depends on your budget
2019-4-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OllieM2P-Aus Posted at 4-5 21:03
"it even says made for iphone"

I think people need to understand what this actually means.

I think you'll find that it does mean they work better for iPhone. The GO4 app is optimised with the iPhone X. In nearly 1,000 flights using iOS I have experienced a signal drop ONCE due to my phone! Yet I can not count the amount of Android users I have read about over the years who complain about issues using DJI products with their tablets and smart phones.

No matter what generic definitions you may have come across the following is DJI's definition as also written on the box: "Made for iPhone" means that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPhone and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. No where on the box does it state "made for Android" to confirm that is merely 'supported'. Of course both are supported but it is made for iPhone...

Welcome to the forum!
2019-4-6
Use props
FlyingV
lvl.2
United States

Paul_ Posted at 4-2 09:09
I gave up on the phone routine due to the washout on sunlight.  Went with the CrystalSly and would never want to go back to using a phone.

Isn't that solved with a screen shade like that?
https://www.amazon.com/Freewell-Platinum-Alpine-Monitor-Sunshade/dp/B071DCDG59
2019-4-8
Use props
FlyingV
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 4-6 00:23
I think you'll find that it does mean they work better for iPhone. The GO4 app is optimised with the iPhone X. In nearly 1,000 flights using iOS I have experienced a signal drop ONCE due to my phone! Yet I can not count the amount of Android users I have read about over the years who complain about issues using DJI products with their tablets and smart phones.

No matter what generic definitions you may have come across the following is DJI's definition as also written on the box: "Made for iPhone" means that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPhone and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. No where on the box does it state "made for Android" to confirm that is merely 'supported'. Of course both are supported but it is made for iPhone...

Does that mean that using an iPhone or iPad will work better than the Smart Controller?
2019-4-8
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

iPad Mini fits on the controller without the need of tablet holders
2019-4-8
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

FlyingV Posted at 4-8 06:35
Does that mean that using an iPhone or iPad will work better than the Smart Controller?

I don't think so. I had an iPad Mini 4 which I used only to fly  my Mavic Pro and I had to disble several functions (as video cache) because the DJI Go app was lagging the video feed. Also it was overheating, and the screen autodimmed everytime this hapenned, and I could barely see what I was shooting....

I never experienced an app freeze or shutdown. with iOS devices, howerver I never had these in my SC as well. So far my SC works like a charm with my M2Z, and have been a very nice device experience.
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyingV Posted at 4-8 06:35

Depends on your definition of better I guess. Less likely to disconnect and first to receive updates but feedback on the SC seems positive in terms of the signal transmission, especially when compared to the crystal sky monitors.
2019-4-8
Use props
Paul_
Second Officer
United States

FlyingV Posted at 4-8 06:34
Isn't that solved with a screen shade like that?
https://www.amazon.com/Freewell-Platinum-Alpine-Monitor-Sunshade/dp/B071DCDG59

Best answer that for yourself.  Would suggest you take come cardboard, tape it together and see if you are happy with the results.

My only gripe with the CS has nothing to do with it's performance, just that DJI can be slow on upgrading the firmware.  But for what it gives me I can live with that.
2019-4-8
Use props
Paul_
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 4-8 07:16
Depends on your definition of better I guess. Less likely to disconnect and first to receive updates but feedback on the SC seems positive in terms of the signal transmission, especially when compared to the crystal sky monitors.

" feedback on the SC seems positive in terms of the signal transmission, especially when compared to the crystal sky monitors."

You lost me on that one.  RC handles the transmission, communication to CS is hardwire.
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Paul_ Posted at 4-8 09:10
" feedback on the SC seems positive in terms of the signal transmission, especially when compared to the crystal sky monitors."

You lost me on that one.  RC handles the transmission, communication to CS is hardwire.

As are iOS devices but the line between iOS is known to be more reliable than between Android devices - which the crystal monitor is - hopefully you won't feel so lost now...
2019-4-8
Use props
Paul_
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 4-8 10:03
As are iOS devices but the line between iOS is known to be more reliable than between Android devices - which the crystal monitor is - hopefully you won't feel so lost now...

A J,
Thanks for info.  As far as the lost part.........

Paul
2019-4-8
Use props
OllieM2P-Aus
lvl.2
Australia

I dont ever think i could justify buying a controller when they simply threw crystal sky by the wayside.

what's to stop them throwing the smart controller by the wayside when they are sick of it too?
2019-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules