Pocket mic adaptor is two channel but not stereo - at least for now
2296 14 2019-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.

Here's a test that I've done, rather than try and rewrite a discription I've just copied the description from my YouTube video.

DJI Osmo Pocket microphone adaptor is two channel but it is not stereo - for now at least

This test proves that the DJI Osmo Pocket is indeed a two channel interface but at present it does not record stereo.

During the test I check that there are voltages being applied to both the tip and ring, or pole 1 and pole 2, or left and right. While this is proven to be the case it doesn't necessarily prove that they are two independent discreet channels with two separate voltages. While the proof of two separate voltages does not prove or is required for stereo recording, it is however necessary to power a stereo, or two separate ECM type microphones that require power from the host.

In order to check if this result means that the Osmo Pocket's mic interface has two discreet microphone inputs, I check to see if the tip and ring are normalised in the Osmo Pocket's microphone adaptor, or if the Osmo Pocket itself may well be doing this.

The way to check this is to see if tip and ring are shorted/normalised by testing for continuity. This part of the test proves that the tip and ring are not normalised and are indeed separate.  As can been heard when I apply the same continuity test to the lavalier microphone, there is a beep/buzz, which proves that the lav is wired tip and ring normalised. This is quite usual for a lavalier or most mono microphones as the normalising of the tip and ring will mean that the mono source signal is fed to both tip and ring, which in a stereo recording system will mean that the mono source will be recorded to both channels 1 and 2 and therefore will appear in the centre of the stereo recording, if the two channels are configured for stereo.

So, the conclusion.

The DJI Osmo Pocket microphone adaptor is capable of two channel recording.

So, is the DJI Osmo Pocket recording stereo? No, the DJI Osmo Pocket microphone adaptor is not stereo, at least for now.

When I say at least for now what I mean is. The DJI Osmo pocket with its microphone adaptor are capable of two channel recording but at present are not configured for stereo recording. Hopefully this can be changed in the future with a software update to the DJI Osmo Pocket. But for now, bottom line, no the DJI Osmo Pocket does not record stereo.

Call back or check out my DJI osmo Pocket playlist as I will be doing some interesting audio tests with the DJI Osmo Pocket and it's 3.5mm microphone adaptor that show some very odd results when feeding it a stereo source.  I will also be trying out more microphones with the DJI Osmo Pocket to try and find a few that are compatible with it.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-4-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

This was my conclusion Dave, but simply because of the early releases had noise problems that the field testers of the pre-production model complained about and was subsequently modified with a firmware update before its general release.
The same as the slow-motion capability of the Osmo Pocket was capped to a lower speed before general release.
The only problem I have with wondering if the Osmo Pocket was ever meant for stereo is the placement of its onboard microphones.
A 90-degree sideways placement is normally reserved for phase isolation problems. A bit like trying to mic up a Leslie speaker cabinet where the main speaker faces downwards and the rotary  speaker rotates at 90 degrees to it. Trying to get the sound of a Leslie cabinet without the rotary swish was always a difficult balance to get and impossible with one microphone.
That is not to say of course that with some form of an update that it won't be possible to have two discrete recording channels. We will have to wait and see.
2019-4-2
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-2 04:40
This was my conclusion Dave, but simply because of the early releases had noise problems that the field testers of the pre-production model complained about and was subsequently modified with a firmware update before its general release.
The same as the slow-motion capability of the Osmo Pocket was capped to a lower speed before general release.
The only problem I have with wondering if the Osmo Pocket was ever meant for stereo is the placement of its onboard microphones.

Hi Ray.

After all the conjecture I thought I'd do a proper test that was conclusive. Maybe DJI will allow for stereo or dual mono in the future with the adaptor as it would appear that physically it's capable.

As for the internals. They'll never be able to do stereo, or at least stereo in the normal sense. Two mics in a vertical axis will record stereo but not in the way that we would usual perceive it, in a horizontal axis. So, not really stereo. Plus, depending on the polar characteristics of the internals, this would also impact/impede the stereo width. Two omnis, which is what I suspect is being used due to the porting and positioning, wouldn't have as wide a field compared to two cardioids at the same very short distance if they were ported correctly and the correct axis. Although and in any event, the spacing of the internals would massively restrict any stereo field anyway regardless of polar/pick up patterns.

The only way you could really do stereo with mics mounted vertically is MS and the Pocket can't do this.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pocket is using two different mics internally, each tuned for different frequencies, to help with wind and LF cancellation.

If proper stereo were to be achievable with the Pocket, it would have the be via the microphone adaptor and without the phase processing or incorrect summing that's being used on it at present. BTW, I doubt the phase issues with the the mic adaptor are intentional, I think this is a mistake and a hang over from the internal mics. Again, another reason why I think we'll see an update to allow for stereo or dual mono from the mic adaptor.

Until we see an update it's impossible right now to judge the quality of the mic adaptor's quality and it's ability to preamp. If we don't see an update then options for external mics are going to be massively limited.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-2
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

David_Harry Posted at 4-2 05:10
Hi Ray.

After all the conjecture I thought I'd do a proper test that was conclusive. Maybe DJI will allow for stereo or dual mono in the future with the adaptor as it would appear that physically it's capable.

Hi Dave,
therefore I will wait with the purchase of the audio Adapter.
2019-4-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this review video you have created and thank you for your support.
2019-4-2
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Ray.

Nice video again Dave.

I forgot to mention in my last video that when I was testing the EM-172 with the Osmo Pocket I also found Plug-in-power on both the Tip and Ring of the audio adapter.

Previously I had reported Plug-in-power on the Ring only.  I don’t know why I missed it on the Tip during that test

I received my Clippy EM-173 Lav today. Audio looks and sounds great when using it with the Osmo Pocket.  I checked Tip to Ring continuity on it and it (unlike some of my other Mono microphones) is normalized.

Thanks for pointing out the EM-172 as a good cartridge for the Osmo Pocket and for pointing me in the direction of micbooster.com.  They treated me very well with my orders. They even combined my two orders to save me some shipping costs without my asking.

I ran a quick check this morning after loading the new Osmo Pocket firmware and still see the second side distorted audio recorded when feeding the audio adapter audio on either the tip or ring.

Bob
2019-4-2
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Thank you Dave for a detailed report.

Today the audio adapter arrived.

I did some test:
1. the DIY mic works well with the audio adapter,
2. feed some stereo song from iPhone to the audio adapter, the recorded sound is stereo (alike).
3. use Olympus digital stereo recorder earphone out feed to audio adapter, sound is OK, but may be the left/right mic is so close (40mm apart), I am not sure if it is recorded in stereo or not, but it sounds quite nice. I did tap on the left and right mic, the level meter each shows left or right, but the recorded sound in the video seems distorted.

Will do more test later and report ....
2019-4-3
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Is it mono or stereo?
I playback a song of ABBA at TV, and record the sound with the Olympus digital recorder, earphone out to audio adapter.

2019-4-3
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-3 04:19
Thank you Dave for a detailed report.

Today the audio adapter arrived.

Hi.

That's great news.

1. the DIY mic works well with the audio adapter,

That's excellent news as you'll have something to use straight away with your Pocket.

2. feed some stereo song from iPhone to the audio adapter, the recorded sound is stereo (alike).

Listen back again, it won't be identical to your source. You will hear different elements between the left and right but this isn't the stereo information from your source.

3. use Olympus digital stereo recorder earphone out feed to audio adapter, sound is OK, but may be the left/right mic is so close (40mm apart), I am not sure if it is recorded in stereo or not, but it sounds quite nice. I did tap on the left and right mic, the level meter each shows left or right, but the recorded sound in the video seems distorted.

Again, what you are hearing will sound like stereo but it is not, just like in the previous point. The differences you are hearing between the channels are some kind of phase processing and the result is probably phase differences between the channels.

I've done a video that shows the input is not stereo where I use a mixing console to pan a mono sound source between the two channels, the result is definitely not stereo. I also have a binaural mic and wide stereo mic that also show it's not stereo. I'm going to do a very detailed video about this and I'l post it on my main YouTube channel.

Anyway and regardless of if the adaptor is stereo or not. I'm sure you will get great results with it when you match it up with mono mic that works well with it.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-3
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 4-3 06:47
Hi.

That's great news.

Quote "I've done a video that shows the input is not stereo where I use a mixing console to pan a mono sound source between the two channels, the result is definitely not stereo. I also have a binaural mic and wide stereo mic that also show it's not stereo. I'm going to do a very detailed video about this and I'l post it on my main YouTube channel."

It would be great!!
========

Quote "Again, what you are hearing will sound like stereo but it is not, just like in the previous point. The differences you are hearing between the channels are some kind of phase processing and the result is probably phase differences between the channels."

I think you are right.========

2019-4-3
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Hi Ray.

There was no conjecture. There were already tests. They were already conclusive. You wasted a lot of time and space doubting everyone's tests despite ample evidence there is no stereo - there is even a thread - NO STEREO. And you now see the DJI spokesperson had no idea what he was talking about, but you believed him.

I am glad, however, you now are taking up the defense of the numerous findings of NO STEREO against false claims, hopes or arrogance.
2019-4-3
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 4-3 10:44
There was no conjecture. There were already tests. They were already conclusive. You wasted a lot of time and space doubting everyone's tests despite ample evidence there is no stereo - there is even a thread - NO STEREO. And you now see the DJI spokesperson had no idea what he was talking about, but you believed him.

I am glad, however, you now are taking up the defense of the numerous findings of NO STEREO against false claims, hopes or arrogance.

Hi.

Actually, what I've done is to do empirical testing and not just mouth off shouting about stuff that they've not proven. Maybe that's why I'm a professional with regard audio and don't go around forums mouthing off with no proof and insulting forum users.

BTW. You really need to keep an eye on what you write and remember the specifics about your accusations, as you've just massively contradicted yourself. Probably due to the obvious fact that you are not professionally involved in audio, which is very apparent within your ramblings and baseless assertions, so I'll cut you some slack with that one.

Anyway, keep an eye on my posts and you may learn a thing or two as long as you are capable of understanding simple rudimentaries about audio. I'll try my best to dumb it down for you.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-3
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 4-3 10:44

I hate to contradict you but at no time have I said it was stereo.
I have never once defended anyone saying it was. What I said was there was evidence of two channels coming from the output of the Osmo Pocket that seemed to have the same basic audio information but with some phase variance. That perhaps with a firmware update that the Pocket may be able at some point in the future be able to reproduce stereo.
There is a difference between stereo and a two-channel output.

[Edit]

Sorry, I thought you were replying to my reply earlier.
I think David was defending DJI's response to the adapter, which is wired for stereo. I also understood Davids reply which was referring to the internal mics and their positioning which would need to be a cardioid and a figure of eight pattern combination when vertical to get any semblance of stereo, and even then of limited effect. I do not remember David ever saying the Osmo Pockets audio was stereo.

I've left my original comment only so as not to try to cover my mistake for which I apologise for.

The facts remain that the Osmo Pockets audio record levels are low and not 100% as yet reliable. I don't know if the shortfalls in audio will ever be corrected in this version of the Pocket but we can live in hope. Good audio is important to video and should be made as good as reasonably possible. Whether it remains mono or not.

2019-4-3
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 4-3 11:05
Hi.

Actually, what I've done is to do empirical testing and not just mouth off shouting about stuff that they've not proven. Maybe that's why I'm a professional with regard audio and don't go around forums mouthing off with no proof and insulting forum users.

I did empirical tests and reported them, and you just flatly did not believe me. It is not rocket science to snap fingers on either side of a stereo mic and look at the wave forms and listen. Your refusal to acknowledge the facts I reported (along with the methodology) was insulting, stubborn and arrogant. Qualities you still exhibit.
You also have no idea who you are responding to; I am not so insecure as you that I have to display my credentials. "Professional" LOL.
2019-4-3
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 4-3 13:21
I did empirical tests and reported them, and you just flatly did not believe me. It is not rocket science to snap fingers on either side of a stereo mic and look at the wave forms and listen. Your refusal to acknowledge the facts I reported (along with the methodology) was insulting, stubborn and arrogant. Qualities you still exhibit.
You also have no idea who you are responding to; I am not so insecure as you that I have to display my credentials. "Professional" LOL.

Funny thing is you do a lot of talking, about things you don't appear to know much about, but don't show any of your own examples. Like they say, talk is cheap.

You're absolutely correct, I don't know you, just as you don't me. But it would appear that only one of us is actually proving anything here to do with matters at hand and that would be me. All you are proving is that you've got a serious appetite for showing yourself up.

As for me displaying my credentials. You once gain are proving how much of a hypocrite you are and forgetting what you've already said in previous posts. You referred to yourself as an audio professional in another post, would that also make you insecure as well? Or maybe your self delusions just make all that kind of stuff simply go away.

Honestly, you may well have something positive to contribute to this forum, although I've no clue as to what that could be.

Anyway and like I said earlier. Stick around and learn from me, you can thank me later. Or at the very least just carry on with your self inflicted masochism and public humiliation, as you obviously must like it and I get the bonus of you bumping my posts in the process, thanks for that one.

Cheers,
Dave.   
2019-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules