Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Brand new P3 First flight - Compass will not calibrate
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

I recently got my P3 after an insane amount of anticipation and even though I was out of sunlight, I still wanted to test it out tonight. I know the setup is a little different with the P3 than my P2v+, but I tried calibrating my compass numerous times in different locations and nothing was working. Has anyone else had this problem?

2015-6-6
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

How is it possible to help you without some major information ?
- Did you have a tablet connected ?
- Is the Phantom paired with the RC ?
- Is it activated ?
- How do you try to calibrate ?
2015-6-6
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, more info needed really.. Like what does it say when it fails, do you have meta\l things near you when doing it?
2015-6-6
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-6-6 22:32
How is it possible to help you without some major information ?
- Did you have a tablet connected ?

Okay,

Phantom was connected to both n7 and n5 and neither would work. The phantom has no problem pairing with the controller and picking up gps, but when I open the settings menu on the app it says compass abnormal.
2015-6-7
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-7 22:07
Okay,

Phantom was connected to both n7 and n5 and neither would work. The phantom has no problem  ...

It says intensive electromagnetic interference nearby every time. I have tried it at least ten times in 5 different places. Out in the middle of a field, on the beach, in the middle of the street, and nothing will work. Yes I have nothing in my pockets when I am trying, yes I am leaving the remote controller at least ten feet away from the P3 when I try to calibrate.

I will add that I tried it yesterday, it wouldn't calibrate, so I went and got my P2v+ and it calibrated right away and took off no problem.
2015-6-7
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-7 22:13
It says intensive electromagnetic interference nearby every time. I have tried it at least ten tim ...

My Compass numbers are

X [~100] y [-780] z[-180] Mod [800]
2015-6-7
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

These values are way out of range.
First thing to do is an IMU calibration, ON A PERFECTLY LEVEL surface (don't forget to check both direction with a level) and a "cold" quad.
2015-6-7
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-6-7 23:24
These values are way out of range.
First thing to do is an IMU calibration, ON A PERFECTLY LEVEL sur ...

I tried it and nothing changed, not even my compass numbers. Here is a video I made further diagnosing the problem.
2015-6-8
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

I'd do a cold IMU calibration first.  Reinstall the firmware on your device.  Make sure wifi is turned off.   Go to place place far (by far I mean like in the middle of an open field) away from any metal/radio source/magnetic energy.  Power on the remote, power on the Phantom, power your tablet/phone.  Move 20ft or so from the remote and try the calibration again with someone watching the tablet.  Do a slow horizontal calibration turn as depicted on the tablet/phone, rotate vertical (camera down) and repeat. If it still won't cal maybe time for repair.  

My P3P wouldn't cal in my backyard within 20ft of my air conditioner.  Moved to the front and wouldn't cal near my truck in the driveway.  Went to a soccer field and bingo, no problem.
2015-6-8
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-9 02:27
I'd do a cold IMU calibration first.  Reinstall the firmware on your device.  Make sure wifi is turn ...

Awesome, I am going to try this later today. Thanks for your input, I will let you know if I am successful.

(It was weird that the green light would blink when I turned it on its side though, almost like the compass is in sideways.)
2015-6-9
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-9 22:32
Awesome, I am going to try this later today. Thanks for your input, I will let you know if I am su ...

BTW, if you're not familiar with the "cold" IMU cal you might want to do a little research first.  Some people go as far as putting the P3 in the refrigerator.  Others,  put it in their car with the air conditioner on max.  The idea is to get the temp down as far as possible (within reason).  Then, do the IMU cal as quickly as possible.  Don't wait around, turn everything on and immediately do the cal.  Make sure your surface is dead on level.  I use a carpenter's level to ensure the surface is perfect.  The ideal scenario would be if you know someone that owns a store with a beer cooler. Sit in it and drink a beer, then do your cal

Good luck, hope this solves your problem.
2015-6-9
Use props
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-9 22:32
Awesome, I am going to try this later today. Thanks for your input, I will let you know if I am su ...

Peter, let me know if this works for you.  I have had my P3P for weeks and have tried to fly in multiple areas and have yet to get the compass to calibrate.  Same situation as yours.  Everything else good links and satellites.  Very frustrating.  My P2V+ calibrates and flies fine everywhere I go.  Thanks.
2015-6-11
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

rschiehl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-12 03:06
Peter, let me know if this works for you.  I have had my P3P for weeks and have tried to fly in mu ...

I have done everything that DJI/Forum users have told me with no success. If you have seen the video link I posted (), my Phantom will still show safe to fly green lights when it is tilted, but nothing else has made it calibrate. I have re installed firmware on both my RC and my aircraft, I have done a cold IMU calibration, I have taken this thing into wide open fields, and beaches, and nothing has worked. I have emailed Us.support@dji.com and I am waiting for a response because the last two times I emailed support@dji.com I have been told to email US.support@dji.com. I agree this is very frustrating and yes I have calibrated my P2v+ in the same exact spot as my attempted P3 calibration and the P2v+ has no problem.

Not happy.
2015-6-11
Use props
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-12 06:50
I have done everything that DJI/Forum users have told me with no success. If you have seen the vid ...

Thanks Peter.  It seems to be an issue and I am now wishing I had bought stateside.  I am at the beginning of the process to try and get some help from DJI.  I have ordered my P2V+ and this P3P and all accessories direct from DJI, so I am at their mercy for a resolution.  My background is electronic engineering and I fear that the well intended improvement in compass accuracy will now require a unit repair and not an app upgrade.  In the meantime, I will fly my old one and watch my new purchase waste away in the corner.
2015-6-11
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-12 06:50
I have done everything that DJI/Forum users have told me with no success. If you have seen the vid ...

Any chance you can return it instead of sending it back to DJI for repair?
2015-6-11
Use props
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-12 07:05
Any chance you can return it instead of sending it back to DJI for repair?

Bobby, only if they reply and allow it.
2015-6-11
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

rschiehl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-12 08:33
Bobby, only if they reply and allow it.

Ouch, didn't know you bought from DJI.  Sometimes it pays to buy local.
2015-6-11
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

rschiehl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-12 07:02
Thanks Peter.  It seems to be an issue and I am now wishing I had bought stateside.  I am at the b ...

I guess you and me both.... This is seriously awful I filed a refund on Paypal because no one at DJI seems to want to help me.
2015-6-12
Use props
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-12 23:08
I guess you and me both.... This is seriously awful I filed a refund on Paypal because no one at D ...

Wish I had used PayPal instead of my credit card.
2015-6-12
Use props
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

I finally got a human on the phone and he was very polite and helpful.  With the experienced compass errors, they re recommending orbiting a magnet (like refrigerator magnet) around the compass for approximately a minute and has been known to clear up the problem.  Will be trying and posting results.  They did state that they will issue a RMA for repair if necessary.
2015-6-12
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Did a little research and found a place that shows the P3 compass in stock.  Might be worth the $15 to try replacing it yourself before you have to wait weeks for a repair.  

http://www.maniacshobbycomplex.c ... pass-djiph3p11.html
2015-6-12
Use props
dlhoiseth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4321745 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brand new out of box same problem abnormal compass error won't calibrate
2015-6-14
Use props
dlhoiseth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4321745 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://youtu.be/-A-lINNzxGE

2015-6-14
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Check the wires on the inside of the landing gear.  One of the legs has 3 wires running to the body.  That is the wiring from the compass, make sure there isn't any damage to the wires.  And, do your compass cal by holding the P3 at about 4ft off the ground and turning your body in a circle while holding the aircraft in a stable position, turn to camera down position and repeat.  
2015-6-14
Use props
Deerstalker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

dlhoiseth@yahoo Posted at 2015-6-15 02:33
Brand new out of box same problem abnormal compass error won't calibrate

Had same problem but went a good 90 past the 360 to calibrate and sorted problem. Worth trying
2015-6-15
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

rschiehl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-13 07:47
I finally got a human on the phone and he was very polite and helpful.  With the experienced compass ...

The only thing I did not try was degaussing the unit with a magnet.To be completely honest, I paid $1,359.00 for a product, and that product is not performing as advertised out of the box, then it is the companies problem to fix the issue, not mine. I am severely unhappy with everything that DJI has done for me, I have spent countless hours emailing, on hold, and trying all these ridiculous techniques with no success. I am so over it. I will never be buying anything directly from DJI ever again, I will go straight to licensed re-sellers.
2015-6-17
Use props
peter.dezzi
lvl.1

United States

Deerstalker Posted at 2015-6-15 23:56
Had same problem but went a good 90 past the 360 to calibrate and sorted problem. Worth trying

Thanks but I have tried everything you could possibly think of. Hours of combing the internet for videos and advice and trying everything with no success has pushed me over the edge. I have been out of 1,359 dollars for almost a month now with nothing to show for it.
2015-6-17
Use props
philnmozz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4054236 ft
  • >>>
Australia

peter.dezzi@gma Posted at 2015-6-18 02:29
Thanks but I have tried everything you could possibly think of. Hours of combing the internet for  ...

I am having a similar compass error,
2015-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules