Right stick will not let drone go forward or reverse
2075 7 2019-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osmosis12
lvl.1
United States

Bought a new drone fly more package.  Took it home and then did the required charging of all the batteries and the controller.  Downloaded the app and did the updates.  Updated the battery and the controller.  After that I used beginner mode and got a good GPS signal and the drone let me take off.  I then tried to fly around and the only things it would do were go up and down with the left stick.  Rotate left and rotate right with the left stick.  It would also pan left and pan right.  

Went out and found that this might have been an old problem as there were not really any updates since 2018.  Found some people saying to recalibrate.  Went to the calibrate screen and recalibrated the controller.  Once this was finished and i started the drone, the drone asked to be recalibrated.  I did that as well and I had the exact problem with the controller as before.

Flight location:  I was indoors, I was in a room with nothing around the drone for about 6-7 feet diameter.  

I repeated the calibration process about 4 more times and the drone asked to be recalibrated once more.  

By this time I had a grand total of 7 minutes of flight time on the drone but about 6 hours of charging and 90 minutes of recalibrating and updating and restarting and waiting for GPS to become available to fly.  

When I didnt get a resolution I took back the drone and got my money back.  What I am wanting to know is, are people having this problem but not reporting, or did I get a bad drone and that I need to buy a new one and try and start over?  I didnt want to use the DJI Care Refresh that I had bought as I thought a brand new out of the box drone should have all of the functions work and not have to pay the $69 and have this be the first incident.

I appreciate it if you stayed this long in the thread.
2019-4-3
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

The obstacle avoidance system, front, back and underneath, is probably preventing you from flying forwards or backwards in such a confined space.  Have you taken it outside into an open field and tried?
2019-4-3
Use props
osmosis12
lvl.1
United States

QuadFunAus Posted at 4-3 13:51
The obstacle avoidance system, front, back and underneath, is probably preventing you from flying forwards or backwards in such a confined space.  Have you taken it outside into an open field and tried?

No I did not take it outdoors.  There were no warnings on the screen about any obstacles.  I thought after reading that I would get an alarm and red lights on the screen
2019-4-3
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Australia

osmosis12 Posted at 4-3 14:03
No I did not take it outdoors.  There were no warnings on the screen about any obstacles.  I thought after reading that I would get an alarm and red lights on the screen

Trying to fly in such a small environment, especially your first flight, is not a good idea.  DJI recommends a large open field for good reason, as many things can go wrong.  At 6-7 feet distance to a wall, the OA would have almost certainly prevented any further movement in that direction.  You really needed to take it out to an open space to test!
2019-4-3
Use props
osmosis12
lvl.1
United States

QuadFunAus Posted at 4-3 14:09
Trying to fly in such a small environment, especially your first flight, is not a good idea.  DJI recommends a large open field for good reason, as many things can go wrong.  At 6-7 feet distance to a wall, the OA would have almost certainly prevented any further movement in that direction.  You really needed to take it out to an open space to test!

OK, thank you.  It was dark outside and I read that it will not fly in the dark.  
2019-4-3
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Australia

osmosis12 Posted at 4-3 14:10
OK, thank you.  It was dark outside and I read that it will not fly in the dark.

It will definitely fly in the dark, though OA and VPS may not work in the low light.  Depending on where you live, it may also be illegal.
2019-4-3
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Australia

QuadFunAus Posted at 4-3 14:19
It will definitely fly in the dark, though OA and VPS may not work in the low light.  Depending on where you live, it may also be illegal.

My advice would be to thoroughly read the MA manual if you haven't already done so and familiarise yourself with all the drones flight characteristics.  Not knowing how your drone is set up to react in different circumstances leads to many fly-aways and crashes.
2019-4-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation and you ended up refunding the drone. Hopefully, you could get the best recommendation in regards to getting a replacement drone. Please let us know if you encounter a problem with the aircraft so that we could provide troubleshooting and possibly rectify the problem. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules