Swelling batteries
5096 24 2019-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Has anyone else experienced swelling of their batteries with fairly little use?
I bought the drone in September, standard fly more pack.  Each battery has had between 18 and 22 charges according to the Go4 App, never run down below about 20%, usually 50% max.  Charged with the standard DJI charger.

Ive reached the point now all 3 of my batteries are so swollen underneath the slightest bang on the drone unlocks one side of the clip leaving the whole thing help on by just the clip on one side which is obviously a recipe for losing the drone if the other side detaches.

One of the batteries after a flight is so tight the power button is recessed to the point i cant push it down to power off any more.

Do these things just not like operating in warm temperatures?  I live in the tropics with ambient air temps in the mid 30s celcius.

My old Mavic 1 batteries also swelled up but that was after a year of fairly heavy use.

Is there any chance of a warranty claim here or am i just screwed as its "wear and tear"?  Ive just bought a new, 4th battery for flights over water as i dont trust any of the current 3 not to detach in flight and if they do, i want the drone back for a refresh claim!.

IMG_20190404_132744.jpg
2019-4-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Read the manual. It tells you there.
2019-4-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

No it doesn't.  Its being operated within the specifications,temperatures and handled as per the manual.   But have still swollen.
2019-4-3
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

A quick Google seems to indicate a -10 to +40 C operating range. You are within those.

I would not further use these batteries and immediately instigate a warranty claim on the basis of the product not being fit for use.
2019-4-3
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1987031 ft
Singapore

Hi have had swollen batteries before for the mavic 2
reported to dji with pics and batt ID
they have recent;y replaced a batt for me after i had a crash with one of my batts
2019-4-3
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1987031 ft
Singapore

Same like you, i bought my Mavic 2 in September and usage was less than 20 cycles

As mentioned above- do a report to DJI about the bloating or swelling
You will have a few customer representative emailing u for a follow up
2019-4-3
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

The premature failure of a battery is an an expensive and bitter pill to swallow. DJI guarantee their batteries for 6 months with less than 200 charge cycles, anything outside of that would not be supported. Batteries are a costly consumable that DJI could do more to help customers who are unfortunate enough to experience. A battery exchange service with a decent replacement discount for loyal customers would be well received. Come on DJI you can do this!
2019-4-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

*DM* Posted at 4-3 23:11
A quick Google seems to indicate a -10 to +40 C operating range. You are within those.

I would not further use these batteries and immediately instigate a warranty claim on the basis of the product not being fit for use.

You haven't thought about the self heating of the battery in flight. That could be up to 20C.
If the air temp is in the mid 30s, so 35C, plus say 15 c at the end of flying, you are way beyond 40c.
35 + 15 = 50c
Sports mode will drive the temp even higher as well as taking more out of the battery than it was designed for in those temperatures.
In addition, the battery stays hot (near 40c)  for about 30 minutes in the bag, out of sunlight. Perhaps this is the answer gnirtS is looking for.
Statistically, it is most unlikely all those batteries are faulty, so it has to be something he is doing wrong.
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 4-4 01:37
You haven't thought about the self heating of the battery in flight. That could be up to 20C.
If the air temp is in the mid 30s, so 35C, plus say 15 c at the end of flying, you are way beyond 40c.
35 + 15 = 50c

Very true - and even charging the battery when too hot can cause swelling and the most common cause is leaving the batteries in a place that is too hot when not in use. Even inside a car in a hot climate on a long distance trip.
I have three batteries with my M2P and none have swelled after many flights so it is definitely not a universal defect in this battery.
2019-4-4
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

A J Posted at 4-4 02:56
Very true - and even charging the battery when too hot can cause swelling and the most common cause is leaving the batteries in a place that is too hot when not in use. Even inside a car in a hot climate on a long distance trip.
I have three batteries with my M2P and none have swelled after many flights so it is definitely not a universal defect in this battery.

I do sympathise with the OP, and wondered what I would do to control battery temp. Temp needs to be addressed in hot climates and it isn't something a manufacture can solve, because of battery chemistry and cost.
To start with, I would note the ambient temp of air and battery. I would fly close in and low altitude at max standard speed. Then measure battery temp again.
This would give a guide to the sort of hot day to take precautions.
Lets say the air and battery measured 30c and after flight, the battery temp increased to 45c. It might be reasonable to say that the max air temp to fly in would be about 25c
I could then consider pre-cooling the battery with cooler pack, ensuring it didn't go below 10c. That would allow the battery to function within a safe temp, even on days of 35c.
Obviously experimentation is needed, but it is no different to the precautions flyers take in sub zero conditions where they pre-warm the battery by body contact.
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 4-4 03:11
I do sympathise with the OP, and wondered what I would do to control battery temp. Temp needs to be addressed in hot climates and it isn't something a manufacture can solve, because of battery chemistry and cost.
To start with, I would note the ambient temp of air and battery. I would fly close in and low altitude at max standard speed. Then measure battery temp again.
This would give a guide to the sort of hot day to take precautions.

I sympathise with most people who have potentially lost nearly 400 quid in batteries and it is hit and miss as the odd one can be faulty but with all three swelling the odds in that being down to a default is almost impossible. The cause must be down to the climate - perhaps the safe temperatures listed by DJI are not accurate or the OP left them in the car too long. They advise storing at 25c but that can obviously be difficult in tropical climates. I recall the temperature here in the UK hit record highs last summer for this country and I was concerned my batteries would swell but they never did as stored in a dark closet and kept near the air con when driving.
2019-4-4
Use props
DeonduPreez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277103 ft
China

At what charge level do you store your battaries? I know the battary has a discharge function that will kick in at 10days if not used, but the discharge rate is very slow. So perhaps the charge level may still have an influence on the battary life.
2019-4-4
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 4-4 01:37
35 + 15 = 50c

DJI will not expect customers to do guess work or complicated calculations using unknown factors.

Their stated operating temperatures mean exactly what they say (and will have sufficient safety margin to allow for some deviation).

I will assume the OP's stated temperature during use is 35 degrees in the open (as opposed to 30 in the shadow and 50 in direct sun ... where would you get that?).

Raise a ticket with DJI.
2019-4-4
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

*DM* Posted at 4-4 04:29
DJI will not expect customers to do guess work or complicated calculations using unknown factors.

Their stated operating temperatures mean exactly what they say (and will have sufficient safety margin to allow for some deviation).

That is my point, the upper value of 40c means the battery temp, however itis reached.
2019-4-4
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

*DM* Posted at 4-4 04:29

That is my point, the upper value of 40c means the battery temp, however itis reached.
2019-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 4-3 22:40
No it doesn't.  Its being operated within the specifications,temperatures and handled as per the manual.   But have still swollen.

Your manual has all it needs to operate and store batteries, I’m not sure why you would brush of this information as not being in your manual so quickly, seen as this is the information your looking for.

2019-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

*DM* Posted at 4-3 23:11

I would not further use these batteries and immediately instigate a warranty claim on the basis of the product not being fit for use.

You will get all the necessary information in your manual, I have copied and inserted into post #16.
2019-4-4
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 4-4 05:28

I may be wrong here but I'd say the DJI temperatures quoted are ambient/air, not the battery.
2019-4-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

*DM* Posted at 4-4 05:35
I may be wrong here but I'd say the DJI temperatures quoted are ambient/air, not the battery.

As usual, manual's wording is unclear.

Under Battery Use, Line #5 on page #2, should say Ambient with spec of -10 and 40C, but it does not.  Person can infer Ambient is being referenced from 2nd part of Line #5 "Use of batteries in environments".

Under Battery Charging, Line #3 on page2, there are mixed references.  First part of Line #3 talks about battery "because its temperature may be too high" and "battery until it cools down to near room temperature".  First part and second part referencing battery's temperature.  With temperature being whatever room temperature is.  Follow on sentence with temperature range spec appears to encompass both Ambient and battery case temperature.

At least on page #4, Line #1 under Battery Maintenance the temperatures clearly references Ambient with "batteries in environments".
2019-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think most users have the savvy and common sense to work it out.
2019-4-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day gnirtS. I am sorry to know about this trouble and thank you for reaching out. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. Batteries should be stored at a constant temperature of around 20 to 25c when not in use and kept away from direct sunlight, damp, water etc. In addition please do not fly your drone with swollen batteries this might lead to an accident during the flight. Finally I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support for us to help you further with this matter. Thank you.
2019-4-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

No swelling so far here in Arizona , Mavic 2 was purchased 1 month after launch.  I always let them cool before charging and never leave on charger when they are done charging.
2019-4-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Kingram Posted at 4-4 12:08
[view_image]
No swelling so far here in Arizona , Mavic 2 was purchased 1 month after launch.  I always let them cool before charging and never leave on charger when they are done charging.

Based on my experience with Mavic Pro P, batteries won't even charge if they are slightly warm from flying.  

Flew short hop on a cool day.  After getting stuff back inside, put drone's smart battery in charger.  Immediately charger's lights flashed warning.  Battery did not feel warm.  Waited about 30-minutes, dropped battery back in charger and battery charged up without problems.
2019-4-4
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Perhaps this study will dispell any myths.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=185816&page=1&mobile=2#pid1818022
2019-4-5
Use props
Glen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 572454 ft
Thailand

Kingram Posted at 2019-4-4 12:08
[view_image]
No swelling so far here in Arizona , Mavic 2 was purchased 1 month after launch.  I always let them cool before charging and never leave on charger when they are done charging.

Whoopy poop
2020-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules