Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4846939 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

So we got our new replacement smart controller and Mavic 2 pro replacement.

We have also just bought the Mavic 2 hard case, which fits the controller well.

But we have noticed that the 5 D button looks like it might be rubbing on the space when stored.

Watching this video, it refers to a foam protection ring that comes with the smart controller.

Neither this one, or our previous smart controller came with the 5D foam production button.

You can see it in this grab from this DJI video.

We were wondering if the protection foam ring has only been shipped with the smart controllers when ordered on their own, not as a bundle like we have?

So our question, if you got the smart controller as an upgrade, did it come with the protection foam?

And if you buought it as a bundle like ours, did yours come with foam protection ring?

Protection ring

Protection ring

2019-4-3
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

You could easily just cut a little foam out.
2019-4-3
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks, yes that’s what we intend to do, it would just be nice to have one supplied when spending £1800 on the combo!
2019-4-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've seen one unboxing of the SC combo on YT and the remote did not come with the foam ring on the 5D button so I think you're right.
2019-4-3
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-3 23:28
I've seen one unboxing of the SC combo on YT and the remote did not come with the foam ring on the 5D button so I think you're right.

Yep seems that way, I wonder why not though?
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-4 00:01
Yep seems that way, I wonder why not though?

Probably because of the design of the boxes that the drones are shipped in. I think it is a disposable wrap rather than something intended to be kept and used.
2019-4-4
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-4 00:15
Probably because of the design of the boxes that the drones are shipped in. I think it is a disposable wrap rather than something intended to be kept and used.

Yep that makes sense.

If it’s vulnerable to damage though you would think dji would do their best to say they supply a protection foam ring to use, and if it it isn’t used they could say it was down to user misuse.

It might make for an interesting in warranty debate re a claim when they all start falling off!
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-4 00:45
Yep that makes sense.

If it’s vulnerable to damage though you would think dji would do their best to say they supply a protection foam ring to use, and if it it isn’t used they could say it was down to user misuse.

In researching the product I am also amazed that there is no protection out of the box to protect that awesome screen from being scratched. At least your case keeps it covered when not in use but you'd think they would have included at least a sleeve for that price.
2019-4-4
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-4 01:01
In researching the product I am also amazed that there is no protection out of the box to protect that awesome screen from being scratched. At least your case keeps it covered when not in use but you'd think they would have included at least a sleeve for that price.

Yes pretty amazing omission in reality!,
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-4 02:08
Yes pretty amazing omission in reality!,

I guess if it gets seriously scratched customers will end up sending it in for a repair keeping the DJI wheel turning...
2019-4-4
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

i got the combo and no ring
2019-4-4
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

actually forgot i took this pic. thats how it comes nothing removed

2019-4-4
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 4-4 04:58
i got the combo and no ring

Thanks for letting us know.

Can’t see any reason why it would not have been installed on all the new smart controllers as they came off the production line before being packed for shipping though!
2019-4-4
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-4 05:07
Thanks for letting us know.

Can’t see any reason why it would not have been installed on all the new smart controllers as they came off the production line before being packed for shipping though!

not sure, but also i have the DJI hard case and the button sits just above the foam of the case. but if yours touches why not cut/notch the foam a bit?
2019-4-4
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 4-4 05:06
actually forgot i took this pic. thats how it comes nothing removed

[view_image]

Thanks for the photo!

I think we took the same photos too, must look for them!
2019-4-4
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 4-4 05:15
not sure, but also i have the DJI hard case and the button sits just above the foam of the case. but if yours touches why not cut/notch the foam a bit?

Yep we have already done that, but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

N
2019-4-4
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

its quite the shame they dont package better. and you can see my box has a lot of stress crackage going on from shipping. means it was really moved around
2019-4-4
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

I purchased the SC separately and it did come with the foam doughnut.  I still use and and keep it on.

I don't recall which forum but someone did note that the 5d button did rip off when the either placed it in or removed it from some tight case or backpack.  Although, I'm not sure that the foam would really protect it from a really tight fitting case.
2019-4-4
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 4-4 09:34
I purchased the SC separately and it did come with the foam doughnut.  I still use and and keep it on.

I don't recall which forum but someone did note that the 5d button did rip off when the either placed it in or removed it from some tight case or backpack.  Although, I'm not sure that the foam would really protect it from a really tight fitting case.

i saw that posting it was the fly more bag.
2019-4-5
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 4-5 06:55
i saw that posting it was the fly more bag.

Did you mean that a foam ring came with the fly more combo?

If so I don’t recall one coming wirh our fly more package?.
2019-4-5
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-5 23:26
Did you mean that a foam ring came with the fly more combo?

If so I don’t recall one coming wirh our fly more package?.

no the person had bought the SRC on its own, but upon inserting or removing the SRC from the flymore bag the 5D button snagged and was ripped off/out of the SRC
2019-4-6
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

seen here:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-179308-1-1.html
2019-4-6
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 4-6 06:25
seen here:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-179308-1-1.html

Oh yes I recall that thread now.

Thanks for the reminder.

2019-4-6
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

This item while not cheap and shipping cost is ridiculous might protect not only the screen, sticks but also the 5D button.

https://www.pgy-tech.com/dji-smart-controller-monitor-hood

The problem that might occur is that with the built-in STICK protection, the SC/Protector might be too thick to slide or fit into some slots or cubby holes people have found to store their SC.  I guess a dremel tool or similar could remove the stick-humps! (g)

I've only seen that one report of the 5D button ripping off.  
Protector.png
Protector1.jpg
2019-4-6
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In all honesty I very rarely use the 5 d button when flying.

I don’t recall if I ever used it very much on my previous Mavic Pro, ( the first version)

2019-4-6
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-6 07:27
In all honesty I very rarely use the 5 d button when flying.

I don’t recall if I ever used it very much on my previous Mavic Pro, ( the first version)

On the SC, the 5D button also allows getting to the Apps screens and some other functions besides its in-flight functions.
2019-4-6
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 4-6 07:27
This item while not cheap and shipping cost is ridiculous might protect not only the screen, sticks but also the 5D button.

i like that but for the DJI hard case the sticks stick above the cubby hole, but not sure its really needed with most hard cases
2019-4-6
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

TruGreen Posted at 4-6 08:51
i like that but for the DJI hard case the sticks stick above the cubby hole, but not sure its really needed with most hard cases

I'm probably more interested in the screen protection.  Although the 5D protection could be an added benefit.  In the hard case I have, the controller kind of fits in the lid (sticks removed) area and there's some foam.  Orienting the screen to the top of the lid, does seem to offer protection.  But in the fly more kit case which I used to hike the drone into a frozen lake, the screen is not well protected.  But I also removed the sticks so that those stick bumps might make it just too thick to slide into the fly more case.

Tradeoffs!
2019-4-6
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 4-6 09:28
I'm probably more interested in the screen protection.  Although the 5D protection could be an added benefit.  In the hard case I have, the controller kind of fits in the lid (sticks removed) area and there's some foam.  Orienting the screen to the top of the lid, does seem to offer protection.  But in the fly more kit case which I used to hike the drone into a frozen lake, the screen is not well protected.  But I also removed the sticks so that those stick bumps might make it just too thick to slide into the fly more case.

Tradeoffs!

i put a glass screen guard onto my remote. it sits nice and flush with the surrounds
2019-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules