Barrel distortion with Dlog-M and DaVinci Resolve
2509 6 2019-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fidippide
lvl.3
Italy

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to fix the well known barrel distortion problem of our DJI Mavic 2 Pro following this brief tutorial:
If I apply this corrections to my video in DaVinci Resolve not only the rendering is very slow but if the video is more than 2 minutes long, my PC crashes. The hw of my PC is not so bad (i7-9700k, 32 Gb of RAM at 3000 MHz, RTX 2060 and a nvme m.2 disk). What can I do? Thank you!

2019-4-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Fidippide. Thank you for sharing this tutorial video you have shared with us today and thank you for your support.
2019-4-4
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

I believe its the 10bit dlogm thats causing the slowness. You should try d-cinelike which is 8 bit and will probably look just as good but will get processed at a decent speed.
2019-4-5
Use props
Fidippide
lvl.3
Italy

SPIKE_151 Posted at 4-5 06:31
I believe its the 10bit dlogm thats causing the slowness. You should try d-cinelike which is 8 bit and will probably look just as good but will get processed at a decent speed.

Hi Spike, the 10 bit Dlog-M it's the best option and the only one that introduces barrel distortion.
2019-4-5
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

I don't have any experience with Davinci Resolve but my guess is that that the lens correction effect is not hardware accelerated, making the CPU a bottleneck when rendering. Even if it's a fast model like yours.

Switching to software rendering entirely will increase the render time alot but is generally less prone to unexpected crashes. I've been forced to do that with a few odd projects that for some reason just would not complete with hw acceleration. It took a whole night to render just five minutes but at least I got them finished.
2019-4-6
Use props
Fidippide
lvl.3
Italy

Fruxen Posted at 4-6 10:33
I don't have any experience with Davinci Resolve but my guess is that that the lens correction effect is not hardware accelerated, making the CPU a bottleneck when rendering. Even if it's a fast model like yours.

Switching to software rendering entirely will increase the render time alot but is generally less prone to unexpected crashes. I've been forced to do that with a few odd projects that for some reason just would not complete with hw acceleration. It took a whole night to render just five minutes but at least I got them finished.

Thank you. I have to study if I can do that in DaVinci Resolve.
2019-4-8
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Fidippide Posted at 4-5 06:58
Hi Spike, the 10 bit Dlog-M it's the best option and the only one that introduces barrel distortion.

Yes I use D-Log M because I like a bit of color grading. But my system runs slowly depending on what in grading I do. If I just apply the DlogM to Rec 709 LUT, it goes at medium speed. If I apply any sharpness or other values, it takes much longer. If you use the 709 Lut then tweak the color wheels, try just the LUT and export the file, then apply the individual tweaks.
2019-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules