Layover in Turkey
2267 22 2019-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
photoin.nyc
lvl.1
United States

Hi Everyone!

I just hope one of you can shade some light on this...
I'm traveling from NYC to Romania and have a long layover in Istanbul and hoping to visit the city for a few hours. I'm planning to take my Mavic with me and I know that Turkey is a no fly zone but I do not intend to fly it there, I just want to have it in my carry-on rather than packing it in my checking bag. I'm just worried of what could happen when I'll have to go through security for my connecting flight.

I've been researching for the past few days and couldn't fine anything. I even emailed the airport but got a reply that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Apparently I can have the drone on me by no batteries and the largest battery can be less than 8 grams.
I'm so puzzle at this point.
2019-4-4
Use props
mAIRs
Second Officer
Australia

No airline will allow a drone as hand luggage... it has to go into check in... but you have to have the batteries secured against shorting out with you on hand luggage... batteries can not be checked in...
2019-4-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can in fact carry your drone and batteries as carry on. Do not check it.

Carrying it through Turkey may be a different situation as for as confiscate it.

But do not check your drone or batteries.
2019-4-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, keep the batteries in your flight bag on your person
2019-4-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day photoin.nyc. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I would like to suggest that you search the drone rules and regulations in Turkey. The best thing is call the Turkish  Authorities and visit the Turkish Websites if there are any restrictions. Please click the link for further info: http://www.dji.com/flysafe . In addition let me provide you a link where in you can check locations in Turkey where in you can fly your drone freely or if the certain location in Turkey is a no fly zone : https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map . I hope that you can also get the best information and recommendation from our DJI Co pilots who has visited Turkey and shared there experiences as well. Thanks for your support.
2019-4-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I've been researching taking the drone to Istanbul and the general consensus I can find is that its too risky it will be confiscated upon entry although it appears you can get it back as you leave, although that could be easier said than done.
2019-4-8
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-8 05:06
I've been researching taking the drone to Istanbul and the general consensus I can find is that its too risky it will be confiscated upon entry although it appears you can get it back as you leave, although that could be easier said than done.

RIGHT!  Show up at the airport 12 hours early so there's time for them to find your drone in some storage room somewhere in the country!!!

But this is probably a question anytime you fly to a foreign country and especially with equipment that could be used for spying.

I am going to China in the Fall and if you think that I'd even think of taking my Chinese built drone back home for a visit - not a chance!  Actually, I will think hard and carefully about bringing a laptop/tablet or even cell phone.
2019-4-8
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

mAIRs Posted at 4-5 03:47
No airline will allow a drone as hand luggage... it has to go into check in... but you have to have the batteries secured against shorting out with you on hand luggage... batteries can not be checked in...

That is absolutely wrong info!!! Drones are allowed in almost any airline in the world. As for the batteries you are correct: always on hand luggage.
2019-4-9
Use props
mAIRs
Second Officer
Australia

ro_flyer Posted at 4-9 15:56
That is absolutely wrong info!!! Drones are allowed in alamos any airline in the world. As for the batteries you are correct: always on hand luggage.

Sorry, you're wrong.. if you try and take a drone onboard as hand luggage you will lose it, or have to pick it up when you return to the country.

This is one example, look up other airlines and you'll find it's a quite common policy.
2019-4-9
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

mAIRs Posted at 4-9 22:25
Sorry, you're wrong.. if you try and take a drone onboard as hand luggage you will lose it, or have to pick it up when you return to the country.
[view_image]

Correct its only emirates who wants this. So far many airlines , if not all, except emirates,  accept drones in handluggage. I am very familiar with airlines and travelled many different ones. Never had 1 problem .Batteries have to be in handluggage
2019-4-10
Use props
photoin.nyc
lvl.1
United States

Yes, that's correct, any Li-Ion battery has to be in your carry-on.
So far I found that Turkish Airline and Emirates have these weird rules.
Furthermore, Turkish Airline doesn't even have a customer support email where you can ask and have something in writing. They have something called "feedback" where you can submit your questions. I took them 2 weeks to reply to my inquiry. Their reply was "call the 800 number". I wondering if this is just an evasive maneuver to avoid giving you anything in writing. There's no information about drones on their website whatsoever!
I called them a few times. Every time I was told something else. Like for example, I can have the drone in my carry-on if it's not larger than whatever the max allowed carry-on luggage is, but no batteries! (what?!) I also can check it in but again no batteries since is a checked in bag.

I was just hoping if there was anyone who went through a similar situation and could share their experience.

2019-4-10
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Brazil

Sorry, you're wrong.. if you try and take a drone onboard as hand luggage you will lose it, or have to pick it up when you return to the country.
[view_image]

I think you didn't read my answer, which I say that ALMOST every airline allow drones on carry on luggage.  Please educate yourself before spreading wrong info on this forum....
2019-4-10
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Brazil

[view_image]

I think you didn't read my answer, which I say that ALMOST every airline allow drones on carry on luggage.  Please educate yourself before spreading wrong info on this forum.... Maybe the typo on my answer got you confused....
2019-4-10
Use props
mAIRs
Second Officer
Australia

ro_flyer Posted at 4-10 08:58
I think you didn't read my answer, which I say that ALMOST every airline allow drones on carry on luggage.  Please educate yourself before spreading wrong info on this forum.... Maybe the typo on my answer got you confused....

You can give half advice all you want, I really don't care, but don't tell me to "educate" myself, no need to be a little btch.
Everyone is trying to help the op avoid problems, and seeing how a lot of companies (and people) are d1ck5 when it comes to drones, it's better safe than later whinging on here about how a drone got confiscated.
And reason why people are weird when it come to drones... know all big mouth attitude like yours...
2019-4-10
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Brazil

mAIRs Posted at 4-10 19:29
You can give half advice all you want, I really don't care, but don't tell me to "educate" myself, no need to be a little btch.
Everyone is trying to help the op avoid problems, and seeing how a lot of companies (and people) are d1ck5 when it comes to drones, it's better safe than later whinging on here about how a drone got confiscated.
And reason why people are weird when it come to drones... know all big mouth attitude like yours...

Wow I didn't mean to offend, just don't spread wrong info... BTW,  you don't need to educate yourself.  you can keep "uneducated" as you want...  and take your chances  putting your drone on checked luggage, cheers!!!

Ignoring you in 3.... 2.... 1.....
2019-4-10
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Obviously, there are issues in some countries.  But most advice I've read is never to pack anything of extra value in checked luggage since things of value tend to disappear.  
2019-4-10
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe this link will be of some help https://www.thesilvernomad.co.uk ... irline-regulations/
2019-4-11
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I travelled through Istanbul with my Mavic Pro and 3 batteries as hand luggage. The lady searched my bag and found the batteries first, she asked what they were. I responded by saying they are camera batteries thinking that would be it. She continues to go through my bag and finds the drone and asks again. My response with a big smile was the camera is on the front. She paused before re packing and returning my bag with contents before saying thank you.
2019-4-11
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Celsus Posted at 4-11 13:38
I travelled through Istanbul with my Mavic Pro and 3 batteries as hand luggage. The lady searched my bag and found the batteries first, she asked what they were. I responded by saying they are camera batteries thinking that would be it. She continues to go through my bag and finds the drone and asks again. My response with a big smile was the camera is on the front. She paused before re packing and returning my bag with contents before saying thank you.

VERY LUCKY.
2019-4-11
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Brazil

agree on that!!!
2019-4-11
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I really don't know if switching flights made a difference or got lucky. It wasn't possible for me to fly in Turkey either way. There are some fabulous sights and scenery to film in Turkey. This place is something else Cappadocia
2019-4-12
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Celsus Posted at 4-12 12:00
I really don't know if switching flights made a difference or got lucky. It wasn't possible for me to fly in Turkey either way. There are some fabulous sights and scenery to film in Turkey. This place is something else Cappadocia

But if you cannot fly ithere in cappadocia, you always can do a balloonflight
2019-4-12
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

dronie1965 Posted at 4-12 20:06
But if you cannot fly ithere in cappadocia, you always can do a balloonflight

I couldn't agree more, the balloon flights look amazing.
2019-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules