2219 56 2019-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-5 00:38
Are P3 batteries still available from DJI?

I wear a set of full cup headphones while flying my Phantom 3 Pro’.

That is an interesting approach RHP.
2019-4-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

embayweather Posted at 4-7 04:02
That is an interesting approach RHP.

I couldn’t find them in the DJI store website.

RedHotPoker
2019-4-7
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-6 12:38
DJI encourages you to buy from China, thats where their on-line shop is situated. But the point is that even if a consumer authority in the EU, US or Australia, decides that the Chinese company has broken the rules, they have no leverage against that Chinese company, the laws of those countries do not reach into China. The only way the law can affect them is if they have a presence that is registered in the country that starts the action.

Geebax,
One last question:
The Incident did not occur until about nine minutes into the flight
So, I was thinking today “ if the compass was affected on the ground before take off,
Why would it take so long to affect the flight ?”
Do you think it could have been just a hick up, a glitch ?
Thanks so much again for your input.
Very much appreciate
2019-4-7
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-5 21:02
Was it OEM DJI manufactured, & control of ??

Fit and finish ok?

I just found this info out today
It has only 3 charges on it and it is OME DJI battery but NOT bran new.
2019-4-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-7 18:28
Geebax,
One last question:
The Incident did not occur until about nine minutes into the flight

I cannot answer that question with any certainty. I am guessing, but the aircraft may have taken that long to discover that the compass data was unreliable.
2019-4-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-7 18:30
I just found this info out today
It has only 3 charges on it and it is OME DJI battery but NOT bran new.

Not a new pack? How’s That?

Oh yeah, third party deal...

RedHotPoker
2019-4-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-5 19:32
Thanks Tony. I didn’t realize it could RTH when losing gps going into Atti mode by itself. I don’t think the spark can do thins can it ?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. For the DJI Spark, in ATTI mode, the Vision System and some advanced features are disabled. Therefore, the aircraft cannot position or auto-brake in this mode. Please land in a safe place as soon as possible to avoid hazards. Avoid flying in areas where GPS is weak, or in confined spaces. The aircraft will otherwise be forced to enter ATTI mode, leading to potential flight hazard. Therefore, it wouldn't activate the RTH, however, it's recommended to land the drone in a safe area to avoid the incident. Please let us know if you have further concerns.
2019-4-8
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-7 19:16
I cannot answer that question with any certainty. I am guessing, but the aircraft may have taken that long to discover that the compass data was unreliable.

Thanks Geebax.  Sounds logical   
2019-4-10
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-6 21:19
Nothing can cause magnetic disturbance at that height. The problem is where you launch from. It is not generally known, except by those who follow the forums, that the surface from which you launch is the real culprit. For example, never launch from concrete, the roof of a building, the top of a car etc. And most importantly, do not switch on your aircraft while it is resting on one of these surfaces, even if you then move it to some grass or elsewhere. The error occurs at the point of switching on the aircraft. The aircraft initialises the compass ar switch on, not knowing it is sitting on a magnetic source, then once it gets up in the air (like 398 feet), then it figures out that the compass is compromised, switches to ATTI mode and... you know the rest.

I saw a bunch of videos today and read comments on YouTube about compass errors then going into Atti mode with the p3p. LOTS of people. The only solution I’ve found is to replace the compass but some people were using Cfixer. I’m not sure if Cfixer is legitimate or not   
With so many people having compass problems then going into Atti mode, it very well “could” be my problem. Maybe it’s slowly going bad ?  It’s never been around magnets or metal   
What do you think ?
Thanks again.
2019-4-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-19 21:39
I saw a bunch of videos today and read comments on YouTube about compass errors then going into Atti mode with the p3p. LOTS of people. The only solution I’ve found is to replace the compass but some people were using Cfixer. I’m not sure if Cfixer is legitimate or not   
With so many people having compass problems then going into Atti mode, it very well “could” be my problem. Maybe it’s slowly going bad ?  It’s never been around magnets or metal   
What do you think ?

I regard CFixer as Snake Oil, the compass in a DJI aircraft is a solid state magnetometer device, there is nothing in it to get magnetised. The usual reason for the aircraft going into ATTI mode is as stated earlier, switching the aircraft on when it is in the vicinity of steel or iron, or taking off from a surface that contains steel or iron.

DJI do not even warn about this problem in their manual, so the only way you will find out about it is on forums like this.  Unfortunately there are also a lot of people who have limited knowledge of how these systems work, and they come up with strange solutions.

And the issue is so subtle as well. One pilot, when asked if he took off from concrete was adamant that it was not the case, but after a lengthy conversation, it was eventually discovered that he was putting the props on his aircraft in the back of his SUV, switching it on, then moving it onto grass. And therein lies the problem, when the aircraft is first switched on, it initialises the compass, and at that time it was sitting on top of the steel floor of his SUV.

Other cases involve people firing up the aircraft while is is sitting on a wooden deck, not rewalising the deck frame is steel. Of on an apartment balcony or the roof of a building, even a car park, which is made of concrete full of rebar.

I also do not subscribe to the idea of the compass slowly going 'bad', they sensor is an extremely reliable solid state device, the only likely problem is with the connectionb to the aircraft's motherboard.
2019-4-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Excellent post above re the problems with starting up your AC near metal.  However, here is an "oldie but goodie"  official DJI video regarding compass errors and how to fix them.  This is Colin Quinn working with an original Phantom, which means you could say the vid is dated since it was probably made in 2013, but I don't know why the basic info he provides is not valid with DJI compasses today.  

Here, he takes a perfectly good compass, he deliberately damages it with a magnet, and then once he confirms the compass is badly damaged and cannot be fixed with a calibration, he uses the magnet to repair the compass.  He then confirms the compass is repaired.  And. of course, he advises to do a final calibration OUTSIDE.

2019-4-20
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-19 22:59
I regard CFixer as Snake Oil, the compass in a DJI aircraft is a solid state magnetometer device, there is nothing in it to get magnetised. The usual reason for the aircraft going into ATTI mode is as stated earlier, switching the aircraft on when it is in the vicinity of steel or iron, or taking off from a surface that contains steel or iron.

DJI do not even warn about this problem in their manual, so the only way you will find out about it is on forums like this.  Unfortunately there are also a lot of people who have limited knowledge of how these systems work, and they come up with strange solutions.

The phantom is not flying in a straight line. And I think my z axes is too high. X 599  y -19.00  x 1282.00
Mod 1415.16
Should I try what mark posted in the DJI video above this post ? I know it’s for older phantoms but will it work on the p3p ?
2019-4-20
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-20 04:24
Excellent post above re the problems with starting up your AC near metal.  However, here is an "oldie but goodie"  official DJI video regarding compass errors and how to fix them.  This is Colin Quinn working with an original Phantom, which means you could say the vid is dated since it was probably made in 2013, but I don't know why the basic info he provides is not valid with DJI compasses today.  

Here, he takes a perfectly good compass, he deliberately damages it with a magnet, and then once he confirms the compass is badly damaged and cannot be fixed with a calibration, he uses the magnet to repair the compass.  He then confirms the compass is repaired.  And. of course, he advises to do a final calibration OUTSIDE.

Thanks Mark. That is an interesting video. If this guy is putting a magnet close to the compass the Cfixer sounds like it’s fake. Which I think it is. Look at what I posted above this post and look at the numbers. Does this look normal to you ? Since the p3p is not flying straight, do you think I should try the magnet trick ?  Hopefully the motherboard is fine.
You are a very helpful person in this form and I do appreciate that very much. Thank you.
Ps the p3p has never had a hard landing or been crashed.
2019-4-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-20 21:05
Thanks Mark. That is an interesting video. If this guy is putting a magnet close to the compass the Cfixer sounds like it’s fake. Which I think it is. Look at what I posted above this post and look at the numbers. Does this look normal to you ? Since the p3p is not flying straight, do you think I should try the magnet trick ?  Hopefully the motherboard is fine.
You are a very helpful person in this form and I do appreciate that very much. Thank you.
Ps the p3p has never had a hard landing or been crashed.

I've never used Cfixer so I can't comment on that.   And I've never had to "degauss" or whatever the right word is to a compass either.  And I don't know anything about those numbers other than the last one which says 1415.  1415 seems to be in the right range.  I think I would test fly it low and if it's okay, I'd try to be happy.  :-)  

BTW, regarding my post #6, I did test my P3P and it flew fine, and then I did a good long flight afterwards and it was also fine.  Mine seems to be okay.  Fingers crossed.  

2019-4-21
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

If not windy, I launch from a table about 30” above the ground.   It helps with interference from concrete/steel.   I’ve had the same thing happen at a ‘test ground’ I regularly use.   It only happened once, and I was able to predict issues before launch by preflight and checking ‘channels’ for interference.   Lots of WIFI in the area.   Only had it happen once.
2019-4-21
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-21 02:15
I've never used Cfixer so I can't comment on that.   And I've never had to "degauss" or whatever the right word is to a compass either.  And I don't know anything about those numbers other than the last one which says 1415.  1415 seems to be in the right range.  I think I would test fly it low and if it's okay, I'd try to be happy.  :-)  

BTW, regarding my post #6, I did test my P3P and it flew fine, and then I did a good long flight afterwards and it was also fine.  Mine seems to be okay.  Fingers crossed.

Recalibrated sticks and compass without my hand being over the compass. Now it’s flying straight everything is great   
2019-4-21
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-19 22:59
I regard CFixer as Snake Oil, the compass in a DJI aircraft is a solid state magnetometer device, there is nothing in it to get magnetised. The usual reason for the aircraft going into ATTI mode is as stated earlier, switching the aircraft on when it is in the vicinity of steel or iron, or taking off from a surface that contains steel or iron.

DJI do not even warn about this problem in their manual, so the only way you will find out about it is on forums like this.  Unfortunately there are also a lot of people who have limited knowledge of how these systems work, and they come up with strange solutions.

Recalibrated sticks and compass without my hand being over the compass. Now it’s flying straight everything is great   
2019-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules