National Parks restrictions
6313 9 2019-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrysol
lvl.1
Costa Rica

I going to visit Grand Canyon and Yosemite National Parks next week.  I was dissapointed when realized that it can not be possible due to the new regulation.  

Is there no possibility to fly a drone over these areas?
2019-4-6
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are correct in that there pretty much is no way around it. The only thing you can do is grab a national park map of the 2 areas and maybe visit areas that are just outside the park boundaries. I know both these locations and there are beautiful things to film outside those parks. Good luck and safe flying.
2019-4-6
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

You can operate your drone from outside the parks, and fly over the parks without braking the rules
2019-4-6
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

All of the national parks are off limits. You can take off from outside the park and fly into it legally, but you can't take off from within the park itself. However, there's a ton of places out by Yellowstone where you can fly in the national forests (Washaki, Shoshone, etc.). There's a couple of national forests out by Grand Canyon as well.

For me, I try to not to fly at any of the tourist hot spots. People are there to enjoy the view with their families and having a drone buzzing around can be annoying. In the national forests, you can get some really breathtaking views and not run into a human for miles. I go to Colorado every year for a week just to fly and there are so many remote places to fly that I don't even miss not being able to fly in RMNP.
2019-4-7
Use props
coloradoskier
lvl.3
Flight distance : 906411 ft
  • >>>
United States

At the Grand Canyon, you have the addition of numerous helicopters to watch out for. I doubt you could get close enough to the border of the park and still have something to fly to like you want anyway.
2019-4-7
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI you can fly in National Forest. Or like has been suggested, stand just outside of the NP boundary and fly in. Just no landing or taking off from inside the NP. DON'T do it in National Park, especially over the Grand Canyon or you will get fined or banned if you post your footage.

https://www.nationalparkstravele ... be-barred-life-park
2019-4-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It is I suppose disappointing , but I wonder while visiting Yosemite National Park there were 500 drones in the sky , how would you feel, do you not think this would have a very negative effect on the experience of those visiting Yosemite National Park.

It is not impossible to film in national parks in the US, but first you must be licensed you then must have a purpose to fly and then apply to the necessary bodies for permission and a wavier to fly.

I believe in the protection of national parks monuments etc being protected for those who will come after us .
2019-4-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 4-6 10:10
You can operate your drone from outside the parks, and fly over the parks without braking the rules

From everything I have read, true.  However, what I have not read is if something goes wrong and your drone lands or crashes inside National Park.  Drone confiscated?  Pilot charged?  Guilty until you prove yourself innocent?

You would hope it would be treated as a case of No wrongful or malicious intent.  But these are Feds we are talking about.  Feds that have been known to abuse their authority.
2019-4-7
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-7 12:50
From everything I have read, true.  However, what I have not read is if something goes wrong and your drone lands or crashes inside National Park.  Drone confiscated?  Pilot charged?  Guilty until you prove yourself innocent?

You would hope it would be treated as a case of No wrongful or malicious intent.  But these are Feds we are talking about.  Feds that have been known to abuse their authority.

That's a good question... (that I hope we never have to find out!)
2019-4-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-7 12:50

I believe crash landings are considered the same as safe landing - if the drone touches the ground inside the park and you don't have permission then you will be fined.
2019-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules