Unable to fit ND filter onto M2P
2060 22 2019-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706739 ft
United Kingdom

I tried to install a ND filter on the M2P - After a few attempts I managed to remove the original 'Hasselblad' cover (but it was VERY tight), and when I went to fit a ND filter it wouldn't twist in to place no matter how much I treid.
I was able to put the original cover back on, and now it won't come off at all.  
I don't want to force it, but in tutorial videos the covers come off with ease.  I have appied enough pressure and it still won't release.  Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

2019-4-6
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

What brand filters are you using?  Also, have you tried pushing in the filter towards the camera with a little bit of pressure as you turn it counter-clockwise?  
2019-4-6
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 4-6 09:53
What brand filters are you using?  Also, have you tried pushing in the filter towards the camera with a little bit of pressure as you turn it counter-clockwise?

Hi, I was using PGYTECH filters, and yes I pushed the filter in slightly when fitting and it wouldn't turn into place.

When I tried to remove the original filter (after replacing it) I also pushed it in slightly and twisted it anti-clockwise, but it wouldn't come off
2019-4-6
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Game_of_Drones Posted at 4-6 12:36
Hi, I was using PGYTECH filters, and yes I pushed the filter in slightly when fitting and it wouldn't turn into place.

When I tried to remove the original filter (after replacing it) I also pushed it in slightly and twisted it anti-clockwise, but it wouldn't come off

Hopefully others will be able to provide you with some additional tips.  I don't have any of the PGYTECH filters, but I do have some others.  Some are easier than others to work with.

Quite honestly, this is one of the parts of the engineering I like the least about the Mavic 2.  They definitely went with form over function in this area.  In my opinion, its just a bad design functionally speaking.  I hope in future versions they go back to the threaded style like is on the Zoom and the Mavic Air, among others.
2019-4-6
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

i use this filter. i don like m2p filter  system. It is  not much easy. Try more or you can have a defective one. Try to compare nd and the original filters to find any difference
2019-4-6
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 4-6 13:40
Hopefully others will be able to provide you with some additional tips.  I don't have any of the PGYTECH filters, but I do have some others.  Some are easier than others to work with.

Quite honestly, this is one of the parts of the engineering I like the least about the Mavic 2.  They definitely went with form over function in this area.  In my opinion, its just a bad design functionally speaking.  I hope in future versions they go back to the threaded style like is on the Zoom and the Mavic Air, among others.

Yes it is worrying that the original 'Hasselblad' filter won't even come off.  I cannot get to the stage where I can add ND filters now as the original won't budge... Hopefully DJI will respond
2019-4-7
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Francis Posted at 4-6 13:47
i use this filter. i don like m2p filter  system. It is  not much easy. Try more or you can have a defective one. Try to compare nd and the original filters to find any difference

Hi Francis, yes I can't even remove the original lens anymore as it won't come free.  It might be a case that it is defective, but this is the second M2P I've had from DJI...

Thanks for the reply
2019-4-7
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Hi there,

I had the PGYTECH filters too and had the exact same problem. I struggled extremely hard to fit them onto the camera. When I finally managed to put one on, I couldn't get it off anymore.
I literally tried it for more than one hour, already fearing to harm my camera. I then used a claw tool to get it off. I never used those filters again. I then bought the Skyreat ND filters and they fit perfectly.
The PGYTECH filters for the Mavic Air are really good (I had those) but I really have to say that the quality of the PGYTECH ones is really bad.
2019-4-7
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

Game_of_Drones Posted at 4-7 01:15
Hi Francis, yes I can't even remove the original lens anymore as it won't come free.  It might be a case that it is defective, but this is the second M2P I've had from DJI...

Thanks for the reply

I had hard times trying to remove it for the first time.  Now i know that is possible to remove it, but sometimes it  is very difficult again,  There is no sufficient  surface to handle the frame.  You should handle with the tips of your finger, touching only the filter frame. I  do prefer touch only the corners. It is easier to grip your fingers like that. you must push the filter wile  twist it  counterclockwise way.. Try many times, move your fingers, use a piece of rubber or something that help you to fix you fingers on the filter frame.. You will manage to remove it.
2019-4-7
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

saviour Posted at 4-7 04:21
Hi there,

I had the PGYTECH filters too and had the exact same problem. I struggled extremely hard to fit them onto the camera. When I finally managed to put one on, I couldn't get it off anymore.

Removing and placing the  PGYTECH filters is much easier than the original one.  They have much more frame surface to handle .  The  filter frame is larger and thicker than the original DJI filters and there is a grip to help you to fix your fingers wile twist it,  But you cannot rest the filter on camera because it doesnt fit into camera cover, As i said it is bigger than the original one. That s because i prefer DJI nd filters. They have exactly the same size of your drone stock filter.  They are harder to  exchange  but you can rest  the filter on  the camera till next needs to change it.
2019-4-7
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Brazil

Mavic 2 zoom filter  thread  is very friendly, like any normal camera lenses, I almost state that zoom is better than 2pro for many reasons, including video quality. I need  a little more time using both drones  to state it for sure.
2019-4-7
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 4-7 04:21
Hi there,

I had the PGYTECH filters too and had the exact same problem. I struggled extremely hard to fit them onto the camera. When I finally managed to put one on, I couldn't get it off anymore.

Hi Saviour,  I was actually borrowing the ND filters from another M2P user and after what you've said I'll think twice about getting them.  Hopefully the PolarPro or DJI ones fit better.  I still struggled to get the original cover off, maybe it's practice, but I don't want to damage one of the most fragile parts of the drone. Thanks for the reply!
2019-4-7
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Francis Posted at 4-7 08:02
I had hard times trying to remove it for the first time.  Now i know that is possible to remove it, but sometimes it  is very difficult again,  There is no sufficient  surface to handle the frame.  You should handle with the tips of your finger, touching only the filter frame. I  do prefer touch only the corners. It is easier to grip your fingers like that. you must push the filter wile  twist it  counterclockwise way.. Try many times, move your fingers, use a piece of rubber or something that help you to fix you fingers on the filter frame.. You will manage to remove it.

Hi Francis, thanks for your advice. I will give it another try but don't want to damage the gimbal with too much force.  I'm sure I'll get used to it but I hope its not a defective gimbal.  Thanks for the reply!
2019-4-7
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the DJI/Hasselblad lens protector is very tight it suggests you have been sold a defective unit. DJI should replace the drone if it was purchased recently.

Saying that I’d be surprised if you can’t remove the standard Hasselblad lens protector.  A good way to do this (when they are hard to budge) is to place the Mavic 2 Pro safely on a table and stand it upright on its back (so the front of the drone and gimbal is facing upward toward the sky). Now wear a rubber glove on your leading hand (ie. your right hand if you’re right handed). Carefully but firmly hold the gimbal with your non-leading hand between your index finger and thumb: Place your index finger on the top of the camera body and your thumb underneath the camera body. Grip the camera tightly but keep your hand and arm stationary so as not to move the gimbal and push it against the drone etc. Then with your leading hand (wearing the rubber glove) tightly grab the outer edges of the Hasselblad lens protector between your finger and thumb and rotate it anti-clockwise. With the rubber glove gripping the lens protector and the gimbal firmly held the lens protector should rotate - even if it’s stiff.

Once the lens protector is off you can check it for damage to see if it was gripping the camera body somehow. Check the camera body surface for telltale scratches etc too. Carefully press the ball bearings of the camera to make sure they withdraw into the camera body and spring back correctly.  If the ball bearings work fine and the lens protector looks smooth and a-ok it would suggest the tolerances of either your camera bodies hooking/catch system (the size/shape/depth of the holes that the filter latches slot into) , or the Hasselblad lens cover, are incorrect.

Good luck.  By the way, I’ve heard that PGYTECH aren’t the best filters. SKYREAT filters are almost as cheap and proven to be great quality filters.

2019-4-7
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

Game_of_Drones Posted at 4-7 13:21
Hi Saviour,  I was actually borrowing the ND filters from another M2P user and after what you've said I'll think twice about getting them.  Hopefully the PolarPro or DJI ones fit better.  I still struggled to get the original cover off, maybe it's practice, but I don't want to damage one of the most fragile parts of the drone. Thanks for the reply!

I can fully recommend you to buy the SKYREAT filters. They're much cheaper than PolarPro and have a really good quality.
2019-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I recently got the PolarPro  6 piece set and they came with a tool for fitting and removing the filters.
2019-4-8
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MrTitan Posted at 4-7 14:35
If the DJI/Hasselblad lens protector is very tight it suggests you have been sold a defective unit. DJI should replace the drone if it was purchased recently.

Saying that I’d be surprised if you can’t remove the standard Hasselblad lens protector.  A good way to do this (when they are hard to budge) is to place the Mavic 2 Pro safely on a table and stand it upright on its back (so the front of the drone and gimbal is facing upward toward the sky). Now wear a rubber glove on your leading hand (ie. your right hand if you’re right handed). Carefully but firmly hold the gimbal with your non-leading hand between your index finger and thumb: Place your index finger on the top of the camera body and your thumb underneath the camera body. Grip the camera tightly but keep your hand and arm stationary so as not to move the gimbal and push it against the drone etc. Then with your leading hand (wearing the rubber glove) tightly grab the outer edges of the Hasselblad lens protector between your finger and thumb and rotate it anti-clockwise. With the rubber glove gripping the lens protector and the gimbal firmly held the lens protector should rotate - even if it’s stiff.

Hi MrTitan, thanks very much for your in-depth reply.

I will have another go with your method tonight.  When I first managed to remove the protector there was a small scratching on the camera (underneath the cover).  I am having a technician look at it tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
2019-4-9
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 4-7 21:37
I can fully recommend you to buy the SKYREAT filters. They're much cheaper than PolarPro and have a really good quality.

Hi Saviour, can you advise on how the SKYREAT differ from PolarPro in quality? Thanks!
2019-4-9
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-8 05:41
I recently got the PolarPro  6 piece set and they came with a tool for fitting and removing the filters.

I feel like a tool would be much easier to remove the cover, will have a look.  Thanks!
2019-4-9
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

Game_of_Drones Posted at 4-9 10:02
I feel like a tool would be much easier to remove the cover, will have a look.  Thanks!

The tool that comes with PolarPro filters works great. I don't need it to remove the PolarPro filters, as they are fairly easy to install and remove by hand, but I still use it every time I need to remove the very tight original cover.

I think they also sell the tool separately.
2019-4-9
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Germany

Game_of_Drones Posted at 4-9 10:01
Hi Saviour, can you advise on how the SKYREAT differ from PolarPro in quality? Thanks!

I've heard that the SKYREAT glas is the same as the PolarPro ones. On PolarPro you pay for the brand, too. And for the fancy look. I'd go for SKYREAT if I were you. PolarPro is extremely overpriced in my opinion.
2019-4-9
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

You have to press the filter down before rotating it.
2019-4-10
Use props
Game_of_Drones
lvl.4
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 4-9 21:31
I've heard that the SKYREAT glas is the same as the PolarPro ones. On PolarPro you pay for the brand, too. And for the fancy look. I'd go for SKYREAT if I were you. PolarPro is extremely overpriced in my opinion.

Thanks, will check it out!
2019-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules