Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What Apps are on your Smart controller? and Why?
9047 28 2019-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I have PhotoTransfer App (for sharing wiressly across PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices) and Instagram (for uploading my pics straight from the controller)
2019-4-7
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4846939 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We are on our second smart controller after the first one bricked it self, due we believe to it running out of system memory.

This was due we believe, to a certain extent that we installed several apps on to the controller.

We had a mixture, such as Facebook and Instagram, but also editing apps like Snapchat too.

When we noticed the system memory running out, we removed all of them, including the google play store app, that we used to install them.

However we still ran out of system memory, which was why it bricked itself.

So the answer to your question, on our new SC, we don’t have any apps installed at all.
2019-4-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-7 22:33
We are on our second smart controller after the first one bricked it self, due we believe to it running out of system memory.

This was due we believe, to a certain extent that we installed several apps on to the controller.

Wow - good to know for when I pull the trigger on this. Thanks for the advice.
2019-4-7
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-7 23:35
Wow - good to know for when I pull the trigger on this. Thanks for the advice.

Your welcome, dji didn’t confirm it was due to apps, just that the device ran out of system memory.

But we don’t want to chance it again,,as it happened in the middle of a paying job, so we had to pack up and go home!

So you will understand we don’t want to risk it again!
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-8 01:16
Your welcome, dji didn’t confirm it was due to apps, just that the device ran out of system memory.

But we don’t want to chance it again,,as it happened in the middle of a paying job, so we had to pack up and go home!

Totally appreciate that - apps drain memory so it's quite obvious to have been the root cause.
2019-4-8
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-8 01:32
Totally appreciate that - apps drain memory so it's quite obvious to have been the root cause.

Yes indeed, plus we felt that wirh havinf to use google play to get apps installed was perhaps open to poorly installed apps that were not very efficient in terms of memory useage.

We now monitor our system and memory card free space prior to every mission.
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-8 03:28
Yes indeed, plus we felt that wirh havinf to use google play to get apps installed was perhaps open to poorly installed apps that were not very efficient in terms of memory useage.

We now monitor our system and memory card free space prior to every mission.

I have seen that there are risks in installing third party apps. Like you, I'll just use what it comes with as and when I pull the trigger.
2019-4-8
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-8 03:35
I have seen that there are risks in installing third party apps. Like you, I'll just use what it comes with as and when I pull the trigger.

I think it’s a wise call.

We do love our smart controller though, so easy and quick to set up on site.

For us the biggest advantage has been the hdmi port.

We use it to play the captures back to the client using their own large screens or projectors.

It gets them more engaged wirh the work on site, and can help,to recognise what we have captured is exactly what they wanted, or if we need to re work some of it.
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-8 03:39
I think it’s a wise call.

We do love our smart controller though, so easy and quick to set up on site.

I think there are many good reasons to get it for all M2 owners but especially if you fly commercially. I'm a mere enthusiast but can see the benefits for me too - the 1000 CDm2 brightness for one when the summer arrives and the whole added convenience too.
2019-4-8
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-8 03:53
I think there are many good reasons to get it for all M2 owners but especially if you fly commercially. I'm a mere enthusiast but can see the benefits for me too - the 1000 CDm2 brightness for one when the summer arrives and the whole added convenience too.

Yes the bright screen is a major advantage for sure!

Not that we’ve used it much in bright sun so far, as the weather in the Uk has been typically great.

But on the few very bright sunny days we had back in the warm spell In February it certainly helped.
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-8 04:21
Yes the bright screen is a major advantage for sure!

Not that we’ve used it much in bright sun so far, as the weather in the Uk has been typically great.

Yep - that's the main reason I'm looking to buy it.
2019-4-8
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Well that is really sad, because, there is so much potencial on this device and we have to hold it due to fear of bricking it....
2019-4-8
Use props
Nigelpugh7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ro_flyer Posted at 4-8 06:33
Well that is really sad, because, there is so much potencial on this device and we have to hold it due to fear of bricking it....

Just because it happened to us, does not mean it will affect all the smart controllers.

We just can’t Risk something happening and being without an earning platform for over a month.

I’m sure that safe apps can be installed without an issue.

How to gauge and measure what constitutes a know safe app is a whole other question though!

2019-4-8
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 4-8 07:07
Just because it happened to us, does not mean it will affect all the smart controllers.

We just can’t Risk something happening and being without an earning platform for over a month.

A word from DJI would help. They are working in a miraculous SC FW update that seems that will solve all issues...
2019-4-8
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Great question and topic.  This can help each of us figure out what might and might not work on the limited range that they have given the Android version on the Smart Controller.

Well, now that I went downstairs to retrieve the SC to see if it recognized a thumb drive inserted into the usb port (it did) and if I could copy a file from the SC to the thumb drive (it did), I guess I can see what's installed in the way of 3rd party apps.  I can tell you that google play and associated modules do NOT work.  Nor did the apk for APKPURE.    I have used the Apkpure web site via the browser to install other apps.  

I have installed Parrot (audio recording app) to test if the internal microphone works - it does but gain needed to be upped.

I installed the BRAVE 3rd party browser as someone expressed concern about the included browser and privacy.

I have installed the Asus file manager a very nice and simple file manager that I use on my phone.  I can inform that the SC can play music tracks.  Oh, in earlier tests I found that I could view videos and pdf files.  So you could take along video tutorials or pdf manuals for field consulting.

I have installed UAV Forecast.  It generally works but any app that relies on Google services for mapping can be limited.  

I installed Tide Now WA - for tides along the WA state coast.

Accuweather works.

Oh, I installed Airmore - it allows wifi transfer of files between the SC and my computer (or tablet) using the browser on computer to find and copy files.

DevCheck to give into on the SC's various systems, battery.  Okay, where the light sensor as it does react when I move my hand over the unit.  (g)

Oh, wow, I just plugged in an old usb mouse and it works.  I could select fields in the DevCheck app and open them!

Well, that's my report as of now.  

2019-4-8
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

ff22 Posted at 4-8 09:09
Great question and topic.  This can help each of us figure out what might and might not work on the limited range that they have given the Android version on the Smart Controller.

And so far have you noticed any impact on the overall performance or any glitch on the SC?
2019-4-9
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 4-9 15:45
And so far have you noticed any impact on the overall performance or any glitch on the SC?

Well, I did lockup temporarily the controller when I tried running Google Play/Services.  Reboot and deleted it.  I think I may have had that happen with another app or two.  But I've not noticed any other issues.  

The thing I should try is using Parrot while flying although I'm not really one for narrating a video.  But I could see it could help if I described what I was doing  when reviewing what a flight was like.

I had expected more responses...

I guess people are not into experimenting or using 3rd party sources for app.
2019-4-9
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

ff22 Posted at 4-9 15:54
Well, I did lockup temporarily the controller when I tried running Google Play/Services.  Reboot and deleted it.  I think I may have had that happen with another app or two.  But I've not noticed any other issues.  

The thing I should try is using Parrot while flying although I'm not really one for narrating a video.  But I could see it could help if I described what I was doing  when reviewing what a flight was like.

I guess everybody have been spooked by the posts above which one of the guys describes how his SC was bricked by installing 3rd party apps....
2019-4-9
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 4-9 16:21
I guess everybody have been spooked by the posts above which one of the guys describes how his SC was bricked by installing 3rd party apps....

Well, I do keep fingers crossed, knock on wood and avoid ladders and black cats but unlike Nigel, I do have the regular controller to fall back on if the darn SC bricked.  Usually, it is really hard to brick Android devices by installing apps but it can happen.  

I would just like to hear what others have experimented with.  

As I wrote elsewhere, I have now paired with a BT mouse.  Now, I really don't expect to use that in the field, but it could be convenient in the comfort of my den.  Plus some experimentation if fun especially for this old guy.  
2019-4-9
Use props
SirrRoyston
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1897480 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just side loaded the play store, and had to side load Airdata. Airdata HC sync can be playstored tho.
Also have:  fake GPS, UAV forecast, flight radar, cruisemapper, alpenglow, Google maps, DJIGO4, DJIFLY, and I'm thinking about Chrome just for ease of internet & signing in
2020-10-4
Use props
TerminalVelocity
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6248064 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had Google Play and most of the other apps listed in other posts above and started receiving 'Google Framework Errors' during flight.  While the error messages didn't affect flight performance, they were certainly annoying and required manually closing the popup window on the flight screen.  After this last update, I decided it best to keep things simple on the SC since I really didn't use all the apps I had installed and they actually duplicated what I had on my iPhone. If there is ever a problem with the SC after a future update, I would rather know another app is not contributing to the problem,  With that said, to each his own and hope all goes well with your configuration.  I've really enjoyed the SC since installing v01.00.0820 and being able to fly both my MA2 and Zoom with a single controller.  So far it has worked flawlessly.  
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

I try to keep the smart controller as clean as possible. When you need to go back to a factory reset, all the apps are cleared and you need to reinstall everything again.
So, I got only the fly apps on my SC, DJI Go4, DJI Fly and Litchi. Actually the Go4 app does everything I need and don't use Litchi much.

On my smart phone however I got besides several photo apps like sun surveyor, PhotoPills, etc, some weather apps and Airmap, UAV forecast, Aurora pro, Windy and flightradar and many more. Too much to be put on the SC.  I like to be informed on forehand of a location where I plan to shoot pictures. Am I near a non-fly zone and what kind of non-fly zone, angle of the sun, weather conditions, ...

2020-10-5
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

I personally run: Litchi, Dronelink, Pix4D, CPU-Z, Xrecorder, and others. I guess the trick here is before fly is make sure you close all apps . Also avoid apps that run as daemons or services.
If you go to settings in Developer options you can see the daemons running and if you see anything like Facebook messenger or anything like that, I uninstall the app.

Anything in daemons will take resources and RAM. You don't want that.
2020-10-5
Use props
fansf0a89141
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17470771 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This controller was a screw up right from the outdated operating system. When's the last time android 7 had a security update? Then the heart of the controller is barely enough spec to run djigo4 or fly app. Memory is nil. I suggest going into developer options and minimizing background tasks to 4 or less. When any apps are installed on this device it becomes highly unstable. Apps wether they are installed through Amazon, apk, or Google store all have little hidden agendas in them. Ever wonder why an app needs all those permissions? The build quality of unit is solid enough minus the screen with the old gameboy style plastic screen that scratches all to hell in a matter of a few flights. Battery life is herendous I'm charging by the 3rd bat.Guess this is why the geniuses at dji attached an ugly power bank to the enterprise version. And the new s21 ultra from samsung has a brighter screen than the 1000 claimed on this one andYou'll still need a hood in direct sunlight. True story. crap
2021-2-16
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fansf0a89141 Posted at 2-16 20:42
This controller was a screw up right from the outdated operating system. When's the last time android 7 had a security update? Then the heart of the controller is barely enough spec to run djigo4 or fly app. Memory is nil. I suggest going into developer options and minimizing background tasks to 4 or less. When any apps are installed on this device it becomes highly unstable. Apps wether they are installed through Amazon, apk, or Google store all have little hidden agendas in them. Ever wonder why an app needs all those permissions? The build quality of unit is solid enough minus the screen with the old gameboy style plastic screen that scratches all to hell in a matter of a few flights. Battery life is herendous I'm charging by the 3rd bat.Guess this is why the geniuses at dji attached an ugly power bank to the enterprise version. And the new s21 ultra from samsung has a brighter screen than the 1000 claimed on this one andYou'll still need a hood in direct sunlight. True story. crap

If you fly at minus 15 or minus 20 degrees Celsius, you will understand what the difference is ...
2021-2-18
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Screenshot_20210219-124725.png
2021-2-19
Use props
fansf0a89141
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

frankymusik Posted at 2-18 08:52
If you fly at minus 15 or minus 20 degrees Celsius, you will understand what the difference is ...

I fly in all of that weather I'm from Canada. With more time spent I've come to the realization that I've gotten ripped off as several warranty claims have came and gone and dji has gone quiet. I see some of my forum posts are not being published even. Do yourselves a favor and buy another brand. There is a major battery issue with the mavic 2 batteries I have had two failures in less than a month that leave you with inconclusive logs and a paperweight.I have a battery with burnt off contacts and Dji will not answer my emails. Just running me around. I've had motor issues, gimbal issues, vision sensor issues,battery issues,remote issues. I've had to endure two replacements one of a zoom and a pro. Both of which had issues out of the box after recieving them. Tboth of these need replacing again. As one fell from the sky again and my pro has this whine to it that's been progressively getting louder it doesn't fly to far, so that will be 6 units in about 8 months.
2021-6-10
Use props
fansf0a89141
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

fansf0a89141 Posted at 6-10 23:06
I fly in all of that weather I'm from Canada. With more time spent I've come to the realization that I've gotten ripped off as several warranty claims have came and gone and dji has gone quiet. I see some of my forum posts are not being published even. Do yourselves a favor and buy another brand. There is a major battery issue with the mavic 2 batteries I have had two failures in less than a month that leave you with inconclusive logs and a paperweight.I have a battery with burnt off contacts and Dji will not answer my emails. Just running me around. I've had motor issues, gimbal issues, vision sensor issues,battery issues,remote issues. I've had to endure two replacements one of a zoom and a pro. Both of which had issues out of the box after recieving them. Tboth of these need replacing again. As one fell from the sky again and my pro has this whine to it that's been progressively getting louder it doesn't fly to far, so that will be 6 units in about 8 months.

I tried getting my money back after the first one failed at about the one month range but was given a rl"next to new"replacement which is a farce I discovered after my last crash what the inside of a next to new looks like and it's a bunch of resoldered parts and heat shrink on parts that are impossible to tell what kind of hours or longitivity they have one them. Did they get damp from sea air or what.. anyhow I'd love to recoupe the 7500 dollars I spent on these lemons I quite never expected them to fail quite so often. That's why I bought two to swap them out. Well at this rate you'd have to have about 6 of them.  I used to love dji but this has really made me rethink my standpoint on them.
2021-6-10
Use props
ohsmack
New

United States

what tf is it
2023-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules