1152 13 2019-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

This video shows testing of the Osmo Pocket while using the audio adapter and an external homebuilt (DIY)  microphone based on the Primo EM-172 Mono Omni cartridge.  

The test was performed  with loud background noise provided for by a Corvette.  

The EM-172 microphone has a pop filter and a dead cat over the cartridge.  

The audio in this video was not processed in Post and represents the audio recorded by the Osmo Pocket.

2019-4-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome car
2019-4-7
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-7 23:49
Awesome car

Thank you. I really enjoy it.
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 4-8 01:48

I bet you do - I would
2019-4-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day BobWinNV. Thank you for sharing this amazing video. This video is very interesting. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-4-8
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-8 09:01
Hello and good day BobWinNV. Thank you for sharing this amazing video. This video is very interesting. Great work and thank you for your support.

Thank you DJI Stephen.
2019-4-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

BobWinNV Posted at 4-8 09:26
Thank you DJI Stephen.

You are very much welcome BobWinNV. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-4-8
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Bob.

The wind and air movement was basically none existent, very impressive.

The problem with when you are driving is that dynamics processing in the Pocket is over responding to the low end energy created by the car's engine. At the start and the end, without the engine, the dialogue is great and not being pushed down with the engine triggering the dynamics processing.

The overall tone sounds great, can't wait to hear other examples of your setup.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-8
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 4-8 16:03
Hi Bob.

Dave,
I will be posting more audio examples and also the microphone basic build.  Even with the wind and engine noise i think that a little post processing would make it quite nice.  I will run it through Loudmax and Audacity  to see what they can do with that audio.

Bob

2019-4-8
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Looks great!
2019-4-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the Osmo Pocket recorder and DIY EM-172 microphone did a good job under the circumstances.
2019-4-9
Use props
T is for Tech
lvl.1
United States

David_Harry Posted at 4-8 16:03
Hi Bob.

This is the exact same thing I experienced in a recent test.  Using Auto without the low rumbling of accelerating was fine.  But then the Osmo really clamped down on the gain and messed things up
2019-4-9
Use props
T is for Tech
lvl.1
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 4-8 01:48

I had a 2008 Corvette in Black for a few years...  It was awesome!  
2019-4-9
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

T is for Tech Posted at 4-9 10:12
This is the exact same thing I experienced in a recent test.  Using Auto without the low rumbling of accelerating was fine.  But then the Osmo really clamped down on the gain and messed things up

Hi.

The problem is very low end frequencies which we as humans don't hear so well but feel. These LF frequencies tend to carry a lot of energy and travel very well, it's these energy levels that a microphone can be very sensitive to due to the differential in air pressure, which can also be interpreted as sound pressure level, SPL.
It's this difference in pressure with such high energy low frequencies via the microphone that the dynamics processing in the camera sees as an increase in level and tries to account for it by over limiting or compressing. The result being that other sounds are pulled down, such as Bob's voice. This is the same thing that you experienced.

The interior of a car can also trap a lot of sound/energy and make the effect way worse than what it really is.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules