STARTRC Portable-Power-Bank-Blocks Bottom Microphone
686 10 2019-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I notice that the STARTRC-Portable-Power-Bank-Type-C-USB-Charger-Holder-For-DJI-OSMO-Pocket-Camera completely blocks off the bottom microphone.  Any comments?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTRC-Portable-Power-Bank-Type-C-USB-Charger-Holder-For-DJI-OSMO-Pocket-Camera/123675876342?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
2019-4-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback from our valued DJI Forum members who use the same accessory. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

All I would say is Try it.
David Harry talks about removing one track from the sound in post anyway and I made a holder for my pocket that acoustically reduces sound a lot from the base microphone and inside or on still days works OK. My holder is made from carbon impregnated plastic on the outer casing with a coating of synthetic rubber on the inside to prevent scratching of the Osmo Pocket and protect the USB-C socket from harm when the audio adapter is in place.

Once in place, you can hold the pocket by its audio adapter with no strain on the connector.

Even upside down.

It may not be the prettiest thing I've ever made but it has its uses.
2019-4-8
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

You can drill a little hole into power pack.
2019-4-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 4-8 09:10
Ray-Cube shows a good solution

I think you misread his comment. He's worried about the audio quality.

[Edit] Sorry I didn't mean to comment on this one but the prior response.

My holder, I made for several needs. It plugs straight onto my homemade car screen holder (Hence the two holes in the body either side)
and I use it in my z-axis so I can remove the Osmo Pocket quickly when needed as that gets clamped into place rather than the Pocket.
It can also be put onto a selfie stick or tripod.  

On a different note, DJI do not recommend charging and using the Osmo Pocket at the same time as it can overheat the battery and degrade its lifespan.  

2019-4-8
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I think you missread his comment - he searches a HOLE for bottom mic.
2019-4-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 4-8 09:17

Which could affect the audio quality. and now you start changing what you originally typed?

2019-4-8
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 4-8 09:10
You can drill a little hole into power pack.

Probably a bit close to the battery - wouldn't like to chance it.
2019-4-8
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 4-8 09:17

That's correct.  The bottom of the OP completely fills the chamber in the top of the power pack.  This blocks the lower microphone off.
Otherwise the poerpack is good as it greatly improves the handling of the OP and is a great back up power source.
2019-4-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 4-8 09:28
That's correct.  The bottom of the OP completely fills the chamber in the top of the power pack.  This blocks the lower microphone off.
Otherwise the poerpack is good as it greatly improves the handling of the OP and is a great back up power source.

Hi John.
That is the same if not worse in my holder. It completely blocks off the bottom mike as it's encased in a rubber compound and seals it when the Pocket is in my holder.  I could drill a hole to the mic but have found no need. It would reduce the suction between my holder and Osmo Pocket and would not be an effective holder.  It hasn't really adversely affected the sound any more than taking away one channel would in post editing. There is just a reduction in audio level. If anything, to my mind it sounds cleaner if just a bit quieter.
2019-4-8
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

If anything the battery bank prevents you from ever blocking the front mic because you can hold it better. It's  a compromise I can deal with. I know it's different for everyone. I love that I have this option rather than using those grips with a built in battery (I have that too, and a good alternative if sound is your concern). This power bank keeps the compact form factor somewhat.
2019-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules