Osmo pocket replacement battery ?
26876 34 2019-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Turner
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello

Looking at all the variables before purchasing a osmo pocket.. I see the battery is built in to the unit..

In the event it fails at some point in the futurewill there be the possibility of returning it to DJI for a replacement battery install ?

thanks

2019-4-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. If there will be a problem on your Osmo Pocket within the internal parts, we highly recommend contacting our support. The parts that we need to repair/replace would be covered by the warranty, however, it would depend on the outcome of evaluation and if the part is still within the warranty coverage. For our warranty parts of the Osmo Pocket, you may check the image below for your reference. Hope that his information would satisfy your query for today. Thank you for continued support.

2019-4-8
Use props
Mark Turner
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 4-8 15:27
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. If there will be a problem on your Osmo Pocket within the internal parts, we highly recommend contacting our support. The parts that we need to repair/replace would be covered by the warranty, however, it would depend on the outcome of evaluation and if the part is still within the warranty coverage. For our warranty parts of the Osmo Pocket, you may check the image below for your reference. Hope that his information would satisfy your query for today. Thank you for continued support.

Hello.

If I understand you correctly you only guarantee the internal battery for 6 months ? seems odd this should be a shorter time than the whole unit..

How about after the warranty has expired..? Can the battery be exchanged at a cost ?
2019-4-8
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

With most technical equipment battery has shortest guarantee time -
this is not an exception but the rule. Therefore it's better to buy - smartphone, action cam, etc. -
with changeable battery.

Lifetime depends on many factors, such as the number of charge cycles, deep discharges etc.
2019-4-8
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Hope third party factory can do the replacement in the future.
2019-4-8
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

Most people will end up replacing such  camera/equipment...say after
2 years or so.Lithum Po/ ion batteries tend to have avg cycle of about 350-400 before you will see drop in battery life .For an average user this is more than enough .
2019-4-8
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I think same. Average lifetime of such batteries WAS 1-3 years, now technology is better.
If battery dies after 5 years you can buy OP V6.0 with built in stereo, 10x zoom, joy stick,
wifi, tripod hole etc. for $ 299.
2019-4-9
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

BeterBan Posted at 4-9 00:50
I think same. Average lifetime of such batteries WAS 1-3 years, now technology is better.
If battery dies after 5 years you can buy OP V6.0 with built in stereo, 10x zoom, joy stick,

Can we have all that in version 2 please?  
2019-4-9
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Joemar7 Posted at 4-9 06:36
Can we have all that in version 2 please?

Holy wishes - but nobody will hear them ....  
2019-4-9
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Hong Kong

I want full sensor in 6.0 as well.
2019-4-9
Use props
MannyCAM2001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5919 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 4-8 15:27
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. If there will be a problem on your Osmo Pocket within the internal parts, we highly recommend contacting our support. The parts that we need to repair/replace would be covered by the warranty, however, it would depend on the outcome of evaluation and if the part is still within the warranty coverage. For our warranty parts of the Osmo Pocket, you may check the image below for your reference. Hope that his information would satisfy your query for today. Thank you for continued support.

That was not the question. The question was replacing a worn battery not related to failure on DJI's part.
That was such a canned evasion to the original question.
Basically, if the battery reaches it's lifespan. You're on your own.
2019-8-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If the battery needs replacement, then DJI will replace the battery.  It's on their price list, and as I recall it, the cost was modest.  You're not "on your own" at all.

Edit - here you go - https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry - a couple of minutes google turns that up - $30 with free labour, it says.  Really, I don't see the need for doom and gloom over battery replacement.

2019-8-20
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

BeterBan Posted at 4-9 00:50

That would be amazing hehe, wish op had zoom in it.
2019-8-20
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

AmyMarieBorg Posted at 8-20 09:09
That would be amazing hehe, wish op had zoom in it.

Surely that will come, the whole idea of what could be possible is very exciting.  Looking forward to the next version, whenever it might appear.
2019-8-20
Use props
Fat Controller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155246 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 4-8 16:19
With most technical equipment battery has shortest guarantee time -
this is not an exception but the rule. Therefore it's better to buy - smartphone, action cam, etc. -
with changeable battery.

Gadgets with  user replaceable batteries are getting harder and harder to find. The manufacturers know only too well that when the time comes the cost of having them repair the battery will probably mean the customer will just buy the newest/updated version of the unit instead. I didn't let the fact that the Osmo Pocket battery was non-replaceable put me off buying mine. It's a great little camera. After many years of buying consumer electronics my opinion is that, while there is the possibility that a battery will fail prematurely, it's unlikely to happen and that. more probably it will last at least a while beyond its projected life. The only time I've ever had a battery fail was an aftermarket cheap Nikon knock-off from eBay.
2019-8-20
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 8-20 09:53
Surely that will come, the whole idea of what could be possible is very exciting.  Looking forward to the next version, whenever it might appear.

Hehe just bought the OP a few days ago and can't wait to try it out. Hope they don't release any new ones this year.
2019-8-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

MannyCAM2001 Posted at 8-20 04:47
That was not the question. The question was replacing a worn battery not related to failure on DJI's part.
That was such a canned evasion to the original question.
Basically, if the battery reaches it's lifespan. You're on your own.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The warranty can't be applied once the warranty period of the part has lapsed. However, it would depend on the owner of the Osmo Pocket if he/she would like to send the unit to our facility or with one of our recommended service centers with valid charges. You may also fix the unit on your end if you have resources that you need and knowledge in DJI Product. Hope that this would satisfy your query. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-21
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I think that the world we live in needs less programed obsolescence. Anticipating a life spam of 2-3 years for a camera is horrendous.
2019-12-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-7 01:31
I think that the world we live in needs less programed obsolescence. Anticipating a life spam of 2-3 years for a camera is horrendous.

But we are already at 8K resolutions at the high end. 4K TV is already in some people's homes. Stills from my early digital cameras look awful compared to what my phone can now take. Companies have tried to be experimental and produce modular systems that a person could upgrade but they are a niche market in a market that constantly shrinks. Look at cars. Over 100 years of constant engineering refinements and still a car's average mileage lifespan is around 100,000 miles. The best we can hope for is more efficient recycling of materials and produce less wastage.
2019-12-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-7 06:17
But we are already at 8K resolutions at the high end. 4K TV is already in some people's homes. Stills from my early digital cameras look awful compared to what my phone can now take. Companies have tried to be experimental and produce modular systems that a person could upgrade but they are a niche market in a market that constantly shrinks. Look at cars. Over 100 years of constant engineering refinements and still a car's average mileage lifespan is around 100,000 miles. The best we can hope for is more efficient recycling of materials and produce less wastage.

Well yes I agree but there are cars and trucks that are over 50 years old and they work, same goes for photography camera, music instruments, synthesizers, old shouldn´t mean obsolete.
8K may exist bit is far from a standard.
My car has 400.000km and runs incredible good, why be obligued to upgrade?
Dont pretend to debate about program obsolescence, but not having a replaceable battery? Seems odd regardless of standards, a 4K camera could last 5-6 years easily.
2019-12-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-7 06:52
Well yes I agree but there are cars and trucks that are over 50 years old and they work, same goes for photography camera, music instruments, synthesizers, old shouldn´t mean obsolete.

DSLRs and other digital cameras have non replaceable batteries inside them as well to keep settings in memory. They have to be replaced by manufacturers as well. The Osmo Pocket's battery can be replaced. If you are running a car that old on a regular basis not only is it more polluting but relative fuel consumption would horrendous. Most older cars are also not as good at protecting their passengers or pedestrians compared to newer models. You would not get an old car through modern safety testing. Even old synthesizers need replacement parts as the older analog circuits rely on capacitors and resisters that change value over time. Some of those components get increasingly expensive over time to replace.
All you are doing is slowing your own progress, you halt nothing. Your car is depleting fuel faster with less efficiency than a newer one. How is that saving anything?
Please don't get me wrong. If you prefer to hang onto older equipment. that's fine by me, just don't go on about it being horrendous. There is nothing keeping you from hanging on to your Osmo Pocket. LEDs are more efficient than incandescent light-bulbs, Modern engines are more efficient than older ones, Modern electrics and electronics uses less energy for a given task then older generation models of equal use. Old things are not necessarily obsolete but often more dangerous or less efficient if not kept in good order. Keeping them in good order gets progressively more expensive as parts become harder to obtain. Some older examples of all things in good order should be kept as a record of progress but for little else.
2019-12-8
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-7 06:52

But the battery CAN  be replaced , ok its not a 5 minute job - but the option is there.

2019-12-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-8 12:26
DSLRs and other digital cameras have non replaceable batteries inside them as well to keep settings in memory. They have to be replaced by manufacturers as well. The Osmo Pocket's battery can be replaced. If you are running a car that old on a regular basis not only is it more polluting but relative fuel consumption would horrendous. Most older cars are also not as good at protecting their passengers or pedestrians compared to newer models. You would not get an old car through modern safety testing. Even old synthesizers need replacement parts as the older analog circuits rely on capacitors and resisters that change value over time. Some of those components get increasingly expensive over time to replace.
All you are doing is slowing your own progress, you halt nothing. Your car is depleting fuel faster with less efficiency than a newer one. How is that saving anything?
Please don't get me wrong. If you prefer to hang onto older equipment. that's fine by me, just don't go on about it being horrendous. There is nothing keeping you from hanging on to your Osmo Pocket. LEDs are more efficient than incandescent light-bulbs, Modern engines are more efficient than older ones, Modern electrics and electronics uses less energy for a given task then older generation models of equal use. Old things are not necessarily obsolete but often more dangerous or less efficient if not kept in good order. Keeping them in good order gets progressively more expensive as parts become harder to obtain. Some older examples of all things in good order should be kept as a record of progress but for little else.

People are so judgemental, my car is not old, it was purchased new in 2006, just had a lot of use.
An Osmo pocket with some good use will see the battery in bad shape after 2-3 years.

DSLR's have all replaceable batteries.
Memory batteries are nor what we are discussing here, and I change those myself in every piece of equipment I had to.

I'm not atacking DJI here, sorry if I hurt some people feelings who love them so much.
My mavic mini has 3 batteries. Planning to get more.
My GoPro has 3 batteries.
My DSLR has 4 batteries.
My sound recorder uses AA batteries.

When I'm on the field I want to have more batteries than needed. That's why I said I find it odd, and is stopping me from getting it. Thanks everyone for the input.
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

MKosmo Posted at 12-8 12:30
But the battery CAN  be replaced , ok its not a 5 minute job - but the option is there.

That is interesting to know, have you got some more info/link ?
Thanks for letting me know.
2019-12-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-9 02:04
That is interesting to know, have you got some more info/link ?
Thanks for letting me know.

DJI on this forum have said they have a battery replacement scheme for the Osmo Pocket. Just get in touch with them via their tech help page. The last time I looked it was around the £25 mark plus postage. There was a list of repair / replacement parts somewhere a while back in another post. The Osmo Pocket is not watertight. The batteries are non replaceable for a reason, the same as with modern phones. You would not want a Li-po fire happening in your pocket due to an unexpected downpour. Mainly down to its slim upright design, the batteries are not individually encased as in other products.
What is wrong with using a power pack in the field. You can get a 70% charge in around 20 minutes or leave it connected while running. It's not ideal but not impossible to do and even if you did have replaceable batteries it would probably interrupt the recording while replacing batteries.
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-9 03:02
DJI on this forum have said they have a battery replacement scheme for the Osmo Pocket. Just get in touch with them via their tech help page. The last time I looked it was around the £25 mark plus postage. There was a list of repair / replacement parts somewhere a while back in another post. The Osmo Pocket is not watertight. The batteries are non replaceable for a reason, the same as with modern phones. You would not want a Li-po fire happening in your pocket due to an unexpected downpour. Mainly down to its slim upright design, the batteries are not individually encased as in other products.
What is wrong with using a power pack in the field. You can get a 70% charge in around 20 minutes or leave it connected while running. It's not ideal but not impossible to do and even if you did have replaceable batteries it would probably interrupt the recording while replacing batteries.

Thanks for the info.
2019-12-9
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI, shame on you.  My pocket 2 is 6 months and guess what!  The battery doesn't fully charge and it dies when it hits 15%  SHAME ON YOU!!!
2021-5-9
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Blellow Posted at 5-9 07:21
DJI, shame on you.  My pocket 2 is 6 months and guess what!  The battery doesn't fully charge and it dies when it hits 15%  SHAME ON YOU!!!

I didn't peruse the entire Pocket 2 forum But, from what I did read, you seem to be the first one with this short lived battery.

That would possibly suggest a defective battery or pilot error.

The real frustration will be that DJI, mostl likely, won't swapped the battery for free.
2021-5-10
Use props
djiuser_N56EcEFguOMA
lvl.1
Italy

I think my battery died, I bought my osmo pocket 2 years ago, I just used it 2 times.
Yesterday I tried to switch on it but it doesn’t work. The led status when the charger is plugged in flash just one time. Tried 3 different cables and charger
2021-8-26
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

djiuser_N56EcEFguOMA Posted at 8-26 01:00
I think my battery died, I bought my osmo pocket 2 years ago, I just used it 2 times.
Yesterday I tried to switch on it but it doesn’t work. The led status when the charger is plugged in flash just one time. Tried 3 different cables and charger

You can still use it with a powerbank. I always film with powerbank as i make 4-5 hours videos
2021-9-12
Use props
Giank0
lvl.1
Italy

Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic Posted at 9-12 10:53
You can still use it with a powerbank. I always film with powerbank as i make 4-5 hours videos

Unfortunately it doesn’t turn on. I sent it to the assistance
2021-9-12
Use props
Giank0
lvl.1
Italy

It was the central Board
2021-9-23
Use props
djiuser_Sb0Y20jLkp7U
New
India

In India i asked whether battery can be replaced or not they told that it is not possible . That is very bad . We can't replace battery of a very capable camera. I request dji to initiate battery replacement option for pocket 2
2022-10-11
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

djiuser_Sb0Y20jLkp7U Posted at 10-11 10:14
In India i asked whether battery can be replaced or not they told that it is not possible . That is very bad . We can't replace battery of a very capable camera. I request dji to initiate battery replacement option for pocket 2

Contact DJI Support directly. Unfortunately, if they can replace it, you'll probably have to send it to China!
2022-10-11
Use props
djiuser_c2uqPo3cq9Lo
New
Flight distance : 17238 ft
Ireland

fansfe82067d Posted at 2019-8-20 07:03
If the battery needs replacement, then DJI will replace the battery.  It's on their price list, and as I recall it, the cost was modest.  You're not "on your own" at all.

Edit - here you go - https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry - a couple of minutes google turns that up - $30 with free labour, it says.  Really, I don't see the need for doom and gloom over battery replacement.

Not true. No Pocket 3 or any other Picket batteries listed there. The message is: it’s ok to dump your crap so long as we make a profit, it seems
2023-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules