Skyreat handheld mount + android hack
3429 21 2019-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Skyreat all alluminium mount for phone and osmo pocket, includes mini tripod for standing shots or used closed as a handgrip.

box.jpg
Whilst i wanted to use this mount with my older android device ( Samsung S7 ) i knew there would be an issue making the connection.

Recently, on ali-express you can buy micro USB adapters for android to the osmo pocket, however ....i'm not a fan of the android protocol charging the phone from the osmo
and using these would not prevent this action, hence my goal was to use a flexible usb connection with this mount. ( with the series resistor mod )

The mount is designed to use the DJI plug in connectors, so as standard does not give you room to use a cable whether it be micro usb , usb C or apple lightning.

android problem.jpg

However by a very simple mod, it is possible to make a cabled connection as shown below

bracket front.jpg

The mod is very simply using two washers in between the phone mount and the osmo arm as shown below >
This provides enough offset to use a cable.

This is a first go mod, obvioulsy ideally - you would use a much shorter cable that does not need to be looped as below.

Not shown, but i also have a modified cable from micro usb to usb c, with a 1Kohm resistor in series with Vcc - this allows the osmo to detect the connection but will not charge the phone.

bracket rear.jpg

As for using the mount, its definitely a recomended accessory. Having the larger screen just allows easier access of all the functions, expecially setting and checking the focus points.
The tripod set stationary allows timelapse, and using the tripod in handle mode allows easier handling than just the usual 'pinch' grip necessary for the osmo on its own.

Without the tripod, ( showing my age ) but it feels like an ultra miniature version of the Sharp viewcam range - albeit many more features !   Personally i thought this form factor was more natural compared to the pistol grip or 90 degree wrist angle of conventional camcorders.

2019-4-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Good day MKosmo. Thanks for sharing this very interesting tool to us as well as the information you provide in the post. This will help us a lot also for the other DJI forum members. If you have any other concern you feel free to post here in the forum and we are happy to assist you. Have a great day!
2019-4-10
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-10 15:30
Hi, Good day MKosmo. Thanks for sharing this very interesting tool to us as well as the information you provide in the post. This will help us a lot also for the other DJI forum members. If you have any other concern you feel free to post here in the forum and we are happy to assist you. Have a great day!

No problem !

When I've made a neater 'anti-charge' android connection cable I shall post pictures in case anyone else wishes' make one.
2019-4-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks ideal - thanks for sharing
2019-4-13
Use props
xmodgamess
lvl.1

India

you can download lucky patcher app for android & try it !
2019-4-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 4-13 02:54
No problem !

When I've made a neater 'anti-charge' android connection cable I shall post pictures in case anyone else wishes' make one.

The anti-charge lead would be very useful. Thank you.
2019-4-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

xmodgamess Posted at 4-13 21:19
you can download lucky patcher app for android & try it !

That looks very interesting. I will look into it as my phones internal memory is not that high.
Moving some apps to memory card would be of huge benefit.

I've added a direct link to the app.
https://www.luckypatchers.com/download-app/

2019-4-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

MKosmo Posted at 4-13 02:54
No problem !

When I've made a neater 'anti-charge' android connection cable I shall post pictures in case anyone else wishes' make one.

We appreciate your kindness Mkosmo. Hope you have a wonderful day!
2019-4-15
Use props
Sqwall
lvl.3
Bulgaria

Great setup. Good to know that i can use the usb port below on the pocket for Mimo connection.
2019-4-16
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

as promised, here is the 'no charge' android cable.   This is simply inserting a series 1K through hole resistor in the USB Vcc line.

There are 4 connections,   GROUND = Black,   VCCusb = red and two DATA lines = Green & white.

I'd like to offer an easy solution, but I'm afraid I don't see a way round having to cut and shut a cable which involves the use of a soldering iron. However for someone with these tools
its not a long job.

First start with

Then cut to length, and insert 1K resistor in line with the red wire.   ( The resistor in picture is 10K, this is too high it needs to be 1K )

Pre - heat shrinking

Finished cable

Using the cable with the USB A to C adapter

In practise the osmo instead of supplying 500mA, will now only supply a negligible few mA whilst still activating Mimo app.

2019-4-23
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I have a  micro usb to usb-c cable on order , so eventually will modify this for a single cable solution hence can do without the extra connector lead as above
2019-4-23
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing - excellent info
2019-4-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 4-23 13:08
as promised, here is the 'no charge' android cable.   This is simply inserting a series 1K through hole resistor in the USB Vcc line.

There are 4 connections,   GROUND = Black,   VCCusb = red and two DATA lines = Green & white.

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.
Just one question.
Does this also successfully also connect to the side data port if you use a female USB-C connector instead? That way I could also use an external mic.
2019-4-24
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Gelert Posted at 4-23 22:21
Thanks for sharing - excellent info

you're welcome.
2019-4-24
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-24 00:01
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.
Just one question.
Does this also successfully also connect to the side data port if you use a female USB-C connector instead? That way I could also use an external mic.

Hi
I would imagine the 'not charging' lead would still work through a combination of adapters to the mid mounted usb C, but unfortunately I dont have these otherwise I would give it a go to check.

Also afraid I can't answer how this work in combination with the audio adapter , but this thread may be of interest to you:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549
2019-4-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 4-24 10:29
Hi
I would imagine the 'not charging' lead would still work through a combination of adapters to the mid mounted usb C, but unfortunately I dont have these otherwise I would give it a go to check.

Hi.

It is possible to get a female USB-C to male micro USB lead to use on the side-port but unfortunately, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, I thought possibly due to the power drain to the phone, but I get a stable connection via the USB-C bottom port still going into micro USB on the phone. I just can't figure out why one port should be stable while the other is not. Plus, the audio adaptor must go into the base port so the phone has to go into the side port for both to work.
2019-4-24
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-24 12:14
Hi.

It is possible to get a female USB-C to male micro USB lead to use on the side-port but unfortunately, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, I thought possibly due to the power drain to the phone, but I get a stable connection via the USB-C bottom port still going into micro USB on the phone. I just can't figure out why one port should be stable while the other is not. Plus, the audio adaptor must go into the base port so the phone has to go into the side port for both to work.

I originally tried one of the female USB C to micro usb adapters in the side port and that worked ok. - connection was stable.

I would suspect that the adapter / lead you have is the problem. If it were me, I would try another brand of this adapter / or cable version.
2019-4-25
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

this worked ok for me,  (amazon)

2019-4-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 4-25 12:53
I originally tried one of the female USB C to micro usb adapters in the side port and that worked ok. - connection was stable.

I would suspect that the adapter / lead you have is the problem. If it were me, I would try another brand of this adapter / or cable version.

I have tried both adapters and leads on the side port. Neither gives a continuous connection unless battery levels on both the Osmo Pocket and phone are above 75%. The base USB-C port to micro USB gives me no trouble at all at any battery level. The side port output also has more lag to the screen. This is why I was interested in the charging hack. Maybe my side port dongle is at fault but I can't find a poor connection problem using a meter.
2019-4-25
Use props
djiuser_KeOWXnQ8J1W7
New

Pakistan

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-14 03:48
That looks very interesting. I will look into it as my phones internal memory is not that high.
Moving some apps to memory card would be of huge benefit.

Thanks for sharing this very interesting tool to us as well as the information you provide in the post. This will help us a lot also for the other DJI forum members. If you have any other concern you feel free to in the forum and we are happy to assist you. Have a great day!
2019-8-4
Use props
luckypatchers11
New

Pakistan

How To Download Latest Version of  Lucky Patcher Apk?
You can also root any game by using Lucky Patcher Latest APK. You must have it on your mobile. Because the user can also root any app through this free Lucky Patcher App which is including such games as subway surfers, Highway Rider, Temple Run, Hill Climb Racing, Rail Rush, and many other popular games. Lucky Patcher is a free Android app that can mod many apps and Games, Block ads, remove unwanted system apps, backup apps before and after modifying, Move apps to SD card, remove license verification from paid apps and games, etc.
2023-3-4
Use props
luckypatchers11
New

Pakistan

How To Download Latest Version of  Lucky Patcher Apk?
You can also root any game by using Lucky Patcher APK. You must have it on your mobile. Because the user can also root any app through this free Lucky Patcher App which is including such games as subway surfers, Highway Rider, Temple Run, Hill Climb Racing, Rail Rush, and many other popular games. Lucky Patcher  is a free Android app that can mod many apps and Games, Block ads, remove unwanted system apps, backup apps before and after modifying, Move apps to SD card, remove license verification from paid apps and games, etc.
https://luckypatchers.me/
2023-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules