DJI OSMO Action
123Next >
19666 95 2019-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

But will DJI be releasing a gimbal for it?
2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PG73 Posted at 5-14 02:52
But will DJI be releasing a gimbal for it?

If the stabilisation is good there should be no reason to have to use a gimbal, plus there are already solutions anyway for actioncams.

Besides, every man and his dog will be making everything under the sun for this thing.
2019-5-14
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

It seems that Mauro has taken down the video... bummer. Waiting for the 15th then.
2019-5-14
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-14 03:07
If the stabilisation is good there should be no reason to have to use a gimbal, plus there are already solutions anyway for actioncams.

Besides, every man and his dog will be making everything under the sun for this thing.

I guess it depends of what one is using it for - I've always had to use a gimbal with my GoPro H7B as the built-in stabilisation just isn't as good. And I've not yet found that 'perfect' gimbal - or even one close to perfect - most of the cheaper ones have a poor way of connecting the GoPro and don't charge the device and can suffer from micro jitters. The Karma Grip is pretty good, but has no joypad to control the tilt and pan, and the sound is awful.

A custom DJI gimbal for this new action cam could improve on so many things, it could charge the device while in use, have a decent handle grip with joypad, even have an audio input on the handle for an external mic (avoiding the gimbal motor noise or having to use an external recorder).
2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PG73 Posted at 5-14 03:45
I guess it depends of what one is using it for - I've always had to use a gimbal with my GoPro H7B as the built-in stabilisation just isn't as good. And I've not yet found that 'perfect' gimbal - or even one close to perfect - most of the cheaper ones have a poor way of connecting the GoPro and don't charge the device and can suffer from micro jitters. The Karma Grip is pretty good, but has no joypad to control the tilt and pan, and the sound is awful.

A custom DJI gimbal for this new action cam could improve on so many things, it could charge the device while in use, have a decent handle grip with joypad, even have an audio input on the handle for an external mic (avoiding the gimbal motor noise or having to use an external recorder).

Hi.

Yes, it's each to their own with that one. I personally try and keep everything as small as I can when it comes to actioncams and the Pocket. If I want to do a more involved shot I'd use a bigger camera and then a gimbal for that. It's kind of all or nothing with the way I do stuff.

That said. I've got Zhiyun Evolution for one of my GPs which is dedicated and also fits the 5,6,7. With the 3 and 4 it will power them as well, which is pretty neat.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

El Diabolico Posted at 5-14 03:12
It seems that Mauro has taken down the video... bummer. Waiting for the 15th then.

And I wonder whether he will ever get a review sample again...

2019-5-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

David_Harry Posted at 5-14 03:07

There's a whole lot of difference between a gimbal and a stabiliser.  The latter, for instance, is no good for a crane shot, just to illustrate what I mean.  That's why I found all the "Pocket v GopPro" videos a complete waste of time.  Totally different devices.  I trust nobody is going to call the new DJI device a "Pocket killer".
2019-5-14
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-14 04:25
There's a whole lot of difference between a gimbal and a stabiliser.  The latter, for instance, is no good for a crane shot, just to illustrate what I mean.  That's why I found all the "Pocket v GopPro" videos a complete waste of time.  Totally different devices.  I trust nobody is going to call the new DJI device a "Pocket killer".

Yes, that's my opinion too  
2019-5-14
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

David_Harry Posted at 5-14 02:17
THANKS AGAIN BUDDY.

This is massive news.

You're very welcome! Glad to help!

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/pro ... action-2551439.html

In this link you will find some oficial pics and description.It's interesting that it says Autofocus - Yes.
2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-14 04:25

I doubt there'll be many who use a Pocket that don't know the difference between a gimbal and a stabiliser and BTW there are different types of stabilisers as well.

As for a stabiliser not being any good for crane shots, that's simply not true. Like I've just said, there are different types of stabilisers. And besides, if someone is thinking about using a crane for a Pocket or GP, they should really be considering using a proper camera at that point as you've already bulked up to use a crane. Plus, most proper crane shots don't require a gimbal or stabiliser anyway.

As for anyone talking about the Action being a 'Pocket Killer', from what I can see you're the first person on the forum to actually use that term and I don't see anyone else saying that.

BTW. Just a friendly word of advice. Next time you quote someone's post and try and lecture to them, as in, telling me the difference between a gimbal and stabiliser as if I don't know. You should make sure that what you're saying is correct first and don't assume someone else's knowledge.  
2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

andrei193 Posted at 5-14 05:48
You're very welcome! Glad to help!

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/pro ... action-2551439.html

Thanks again Andrei for that link.

Those pictures are not helping with my excitement, I'm now foaming at the mouth

Message to DJI with regard to the Action.

JUST TAKE MY F..ING MONEY ALREADY

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-14
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

I sure hope all the accessories will come out at the same time as the camera itself.
2019-5-14
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nice that my post was removed but yours is still here David, by removing all my info  dji confirmed all the findings already posted.
2019-5-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

"As for a stabiliser not being any good for crane shots, that's simply  not true. Like I've just said, there are different types of stabilisers.  And besides, if someone is thinking about using a crane for a Pocket or  GP, they should really be considering using a proper camera at that  point as you've already bulked up to use a crane. Plus, most proper  crane shots don't require a gimbal or stabiliser anyway."

You puzzle me.  Attach an unstabilised non-gimbal camera to the end of a 5m pole, pointing level.  Raise it into the air.  It will point at the sky, and the image will be more than somewhat wobbly.  This is unlikely to be the desired result. Attach a gimbal camera set to tilt lock, and it will point level still.  Or set it to lock on to an object in the scene, it will stay locked to that object.  I can only suppose that your idea of a crane shot is different from mine.

Because of its very light weight, the Pocket is ideal for low cost crane work.  You can use just about anything resembling a pole, and it's not at all difficult to devise the means to attach the Pocket to it.  There are several YouTube videos describing this use for the Pocket, including one by a pro videographer who used the Pocket in this way for part of a video advertising a multimillion dollar Hollywood house for sale.

I wrote "I trust nobody is going to call the new DJI device a "Pocket killer"."  You responded "As for anyone talking about the Action being a 'Pocket Killer', from  what I can see you're the first person on the forum to actually use that  term and I don't see anyone else saying that."   Correct.  That's why I used the future tense.  I trust that nobody, in the future, will say that.  There's no implication there that I considered that someone had already said it.  But the internet is full of claims that the Pocket is a 'Go Pro killer' because many people seem not to understand the difference between a gimbal camera and a stabilised camera.   Tilt a stabilised camera sideways and you lose the level horizon.  Tilt a gimbal camera sideways with the horizon locked, and the horizon stays level.  This is particularly handy when using small displays to frame the image - a slight tilt in the horizon may not be obvious.  Another reason why a gimbal attachment might be useful when attached to a stabilised camera.

"BTW. Just a friendly word of advice. Next time you quote someone's post  and try and lecture to them, as in, telling me the difference between a  gimbal and stabiliser as if I don't know. You should make sure that what  you're saying is correct first and don't assume someone else's  knowledge.  "  I simply sought to correct your obviously incorrect (or unimaginative) statement, which implied confusion between the functions and purpose of an electronic stabiliser and a gimbal.  You may be fully aware of the difference, but I can only judge by the evidence of your statements.

2019-5-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

5 hours to go ........
2019-5-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Perhaps DJI should have made something like this instead - an action gimbal.

2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D695%26typeid%3D695
2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-15 04:38
Perhaps DJI should have made something like this instead - an action gimbal.

https://youtu.be/-x1_6_A7TbM

That looks like it could be awesome, let's see what it's like when it's released.
2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-15 05:18
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=189174&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D695%26typeid%3D695

Hi.

Thanks for that. I've just updated the start of this thread to include a link to the new Action forum.

I've ordered my Action as soon as it went live. To be honest I really thought today's announcement was going to be just an announcement about the Action and there'd be a pre-order period. I was completely shocked to see that it was an actual release announcement

Goodbye Pocket, hello Action

Again, thanks for pointing out the link to the Action forum, I think that'll be my new second home

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-15
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

David_Harry Posted at 5-15 06:07
Hi.

Thanks for that. I've just updated the start of this thread to include a link to the new Action forum.

As good as the Osmo action is for action/EIS footage in good light situations, I would still keep my Osmo Pocket for low light situations.  The Osmo action also suffers from the grainy/jittering effect in very low light when EIS is turned on.  I will probably wait and keep my Gopro 6 black for action/underwater footage and Osmo Pocket for other non-action footage.....and see what the next gen Gopro 8/Osmo Action 2 will bring... maybe a larger sensor/upgraded EIS/etc. which would definately be a game changer too.
2019-5-15
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Did not find any info, but does it take an external mic also?
2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 5-15 06:07
Hi.

Dave, do come back often ........
2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I think the Osmo Action will make Osmo Pocket sales down a little bit .....
2019-5-15
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just ordered one, Might as well have both the OP and the Action ;-P (well, actually 2 OP and 1 Action). There are situation where one will work better than the other anyways. Also pre-ordered the PgyTech ND PL filter set too.

2019-5-15
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

2019-5-15
Use props
scott99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76312 ft
United States

This is very frustrating, I buy the Osmo Pocket, and hundreds of dollars in accessories like the Wifi Module and the thumb control module, as well as mounts, since the OP didn't have built in mounts,  when I could've bought this instead. I wish I had heard rumors earlier, I would've waited. Really frustrating.
2019-5-15
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

scott99 Posted at 5-15 09:33
This is very frustrating, I buy the Osmo Pocket, and hundreds of dollars in accessories like the Wifi Module and the thumb control module, as well as mounts, since the OP didn't have built in mounts,  when I could've bought this instead. I wish I had heard rumors earlier, I would've waited. Really frustrating.

Gimbal vs electronic stabilization, different FOV and aperture produce 2 totally different type of shots.  I will use the OP for most day to day casual shooting and use the OA for when I'll be in fast motion.
2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

OP is not bad at all, use it for a while, see if you need something different ......
2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I think you may be right.

2019-5-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

There's a video by Droning On (??) about the Action, where early on he compares the gimbal of the Pocket with the stabilisation of the Action, and at once I thought, I'm glad I bought the Pocket.  But if I was someone who had been trying to use the Pocket attached to a bike handlebar, then the Action would have been my preference.  Comes down to use cases and the style of content you are producing.
Also bear in mind that, as I understand it, there is no stabilisation at all on the Action when in HDR mode, and when taking photos.
2019-5-15
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Was in the area, so I stopped by my local (Thailand) DJI shop today. They had the Action in stock and one was there to demo. Because the visit wasn't primarily to check out DJI, I didn't spend much time with it.

In all, it looked pretty slick. The few features I played with, worked well.

The boss lady was so excited to show me "Voice Control". The funny thing is that, because of her accent, it wouldn't respond to "Record". Many Asians have trouble with the "R" sound and the Action couldn't understand her. To her frustration, it reacted quite well to my commands.

Now, if I can only figure a purpose for such a feature ....
2019-5-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

To get yourself in the picture at a distance, then start it and stop it.  Saves a bit of editing I guess.  Works over quite a range according to the Droning On video.
2019-5-16
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-16 02:00
To get yourself in the picture at a distance, then start it and stop it.  Saves a bit of editing I guess.  Works over quite a range according to the Droning On video.

Didn't try it from any distance. Seemed "hesitant" at less than arm's length.
2019-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah it is!
2019-5-17
Use props
wisniak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270528 ft
Israel

Does anyone know the power input? 1A/2A?
Thanks
2019-5-19
Use props
djiuser_JIiguOnbrFjJ
lvl.1
Malaysia

The still picture really needs improvement!  No autofocus!  The picture is very soft!
2019-6-6
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_JIiguOnbrFjJ Posted at 6-6 22:12
The still picture really needs improvement!  No autofocus!  The picture is very soft!

This is a fixed focus camera.
2019-6-7
Use props
yelenavik
lvl.2

United States

Installed last firmware, writing optimized sharpness in Cinelike D. One week ago I talked about need make an option in the menu for sharpness low-high, like Gopro 7. YI 4k+, many others. But your engineers instead, made ''optimized sharpness'', I watched is decrease sharpness! This is worse than was before! Not good.Need maximum sharpness! Very soft, loose detail
2019-7-21
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

yelenavik Posted at 7-21 00:24
Installed last firmware, writing optimized sharpness in Cinelike D. One week ago I talked about need make an option in the menu for sharpness low-high, like Gopro 7. YI 4k+, many others. But your engineers instead, made ''optimized sharpness'', I watched is decrease sharpness! This is worse than was before! Not good.Need maximum sharpness! Very soft, loose detail

Another vote here for adjustable sharpness !

2019-7-21
Use props
mingkent
New

if i use rode wireless go with osmo action and connect to my iphone can i monitor the sound with airpot when recording?
2019-10-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules