Crashed Drone in Water!
3488 23 2019-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
abrooks03
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97208 ft

United States

I recently crashed my drone and it did end up in the water. I've taken all the steps to make sure it is clean and dry and then took off the top to check for any corrosion or damage that I could see on the board. I don't see any damage and it all looks to be fine. I wan't to test it to see if everything is ok but it wont power on because of the battery. The battery will light up (it will do the usual lighting if you press it once and it will also light up as normal if you were to press then hold) but it doesn't seem to output any power (tested with voltmeter) and won't properly charge, it just turns on and the stays solid green when I plug it in and doesn't charge at all. I would take my drone to a repair shop but the problem is that the closest one is 2 hours away. I don't have any other battery and I dont want to drop $70 on a replacement just to find that the drone was broken all along. Is there any way I can try and test the drone to see if everything is good without a battery (not flying just power on) and is there anyway to fix the battery?
2019-4-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Probably nothing you can do, that I know of.

Others might have an answer that may work.

Which Phantom model are you working with?

RedHotPoker

2019-4-11
Use props
abrooks03
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-11 20:17
Probably nothing you can do, that I know of.

Others might have an answer that may work.

It's a phantom 3 standard
2019-4-12
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

No way to fix battery.  Maybe borrow one and check, but if the AC got really wet, it maybe finished.
2019-4-12
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Order a battery from Amazon and if the drone doesn't work, just return the battery for a refund.
2019-4-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

abrooks03 Posted at 4-12 05:44
It's a phantom 3 standard

As suggested, see if you can’t find someone nearby with a Phantom 3 battery, to test your Phantom.

Hope your drone is still intact, and only the battery is toasted.

RedHotPoker

2019-4-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi abrooks03, I'm really sorry to know that.  I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the crash reason and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; hence, valid charges will apply. Thank for your support.
2019-4-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The general rule of thumb for drowned Phantoms is that you may be able to save the aircraft if you do it properly, but always discard the battery, they are not able to be safely recovered.
2019-4-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

From what I've read over the years, if you've submerged it in fresh water, there's a decent chance you can bring it back if you dry it out and clean it up adequately.  If you've submerged it in salt water, it's almost certainly not salvageable.  

Good luck.
2019-4-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Too bad the DJI drones have water sensors inside that change colour when they get wet.

RedHotPoker
2019-4-12
Use props
abrooks03
lvl.1

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-12 15:24
From what I've read over the years, if you've submerged it in fresh water, there's a decent chance you can bring it back if you dry it out and clean it up adequately.  If you've submerged it in salt water, it's almost certainly not salvageable.  

Good luck.

Luckily it was fresh water, I'll just have to wait for a new battery to come and hope for the best.
2019-4-12
Use props
abrooks03
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 4-12 14:03
The general rule of thumb for drowned Phantoms is that you may be able to save the aircraft if you do it properly, but always discard the battery, they are not able to be safely recovered.

That's what I'm hoping for
2019-4-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you have somewhere warm to stash it? say a airing cupboard that has a hot water tank? or a cooling down oven? no more than 50C, you really need to be sure its dry before sticking another battery in it
2019-4-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that
2019-4-12
Use props
abrooks03
lvl.1

United States

Bashy Posted at 4-12 19:24
Do you have somewhere warm to stash it? say a airing cupboard that has a hot water tank? or a cooling down oven? no more than 50C, you really need to be sure its dry before sticking another battery in it

Already done
2019-4-14
Use props
abrooks03
lvl.1

United States

I received a new battery and stuck it in, had some gps problems but I messed with it a bit more and everything started working again. I took it for a short test flight and it flew well. Gonna fly it a couple more times tomorrow and test it for sure. Happy it was just the battery this time and not anything else. Thanks for the help
2019-4-14
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

abrooks03 Posted at 4-14 18:07
I received a new battery and stuck it in, had some gps problems but I messed with it a bit more and everything started working again. I took it for a short test flight and it flew well. Gonna fly it a couple more times tomorrow and test it for sure. Happy it was just the battery this time and not anything else. Thanks for the help

Wow, that’s awesome news. Happy everything worked out for you. Happy flying.  
2019-4-14
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-12 18:21
Too bad the DJI drones have water sensors inside that change colour when they get wet.

What ? Are you serious ? I didn’t know that.
2019-4-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-14 19:57
What ? Are you serious ? I didn’t know that.

Oh yeah. This has been known, for several years already.

Doesn’t matter salt or fresh water... the monitor will turn blue.

RedHotPoker
2019-4-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

abrooks03 Posted at 4-14 18:07

That’s great to hear. Enjoy...

RedHotPoker
2019-4-14
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-14 21:11
Oh yeah. This has been known, for several years already.

Doesn’t matter salt or fresh water... the monitor will turn blue.

Wow, that’s cool info. Thanks RHP
2019-4-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-16 18:10
Wow, that’s cool info. Thanks RHP

Keep it dry. Prevent the loss of warranty.

RedHotPoker
2019-4-17
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 4-17 05:59
Keep it dry. Prevent the loss of warranty.

I’ll try
2019-4-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

We do it, with a wide smile upon the face.  

Besides, I’m pretty landlocked up here in Edmonton.

RedHotPoker
2019-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules