Poor man's charging case for Osmo Pocket
3205 31 2019-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Rather than re-write and repeat things, here's my YouTube description.

DJI Osmo Pocket Case alternative - the poor man's cheap version

Battery USA: https://geni.us/AukeyBatteryUSA
Battery Europe: https://geni.us/AukeyUSBbattery
Case USA & Europe:  https://geni.us/OsmoPocketPlasticCase

This video is showing what is basically a poor man's version of the DJI Osmo Pocket Charging Case, which consists of a Aukey 20000mAh USB battery bank and a really cool plastic case that is water proof and has access to the USB C charging port of the  Osmo Pocket when it's in the case.

Here's the blurb from the case manufacturer:

Compatible with DJI OSMO Pocket Handheld Gimbal Camera.
High quality ABS plastic,Primary life waterproof IP 3-4, dustproof.
With adjustable straps,easy to carry, sturdy and pressure resistant.
Storage capacity:Can be accommodated DJI OSMO Pocket Gimbal body + 2pcs data cable adapters.
Convenient to charge with a charging window at the bottom.

Here's the bumf for the Aukey USB power bank:

With enough power to keep your device off the grid for days, its 20,000 mAh battery juice can charge iPhone 6/6s over 4-7 times or Galaxy S5 over 3-6 times, or provide up to 150% more charge for your iPad Air.
Powered by TI (Texas Instrument) manufactured chipset, Aukey AIPower Smart Charging Technology automatically detect connected device and determine your device charging specification before charging with optimal current.
Surge protection, high current protection, short circuit protection and more advanced safety features keep you and your devices safe.
AiPower - Tuned to adaptively provide the safest maximum recharge rate for all your USB powered devices
Package Contents: AUKEY 20000mAh Power Bank, Micro USB Cable, User Manual, 24 Month Warranty

All in all this combination is not sexy or cool like the DJI charging case but when you consider the size of the DJI charging case and the fact that it will be in a bag when you travel, these two items fit in a bag just as easily, it's what I do. Plus, the case is water proof and the battery has way more power than the DJI case.

If you want sexy and cool, there's only one option, the DJI Osmo Pocket Charging Case. If you want something affordable, practical with a lot of protection and power, you could do a lot worse than this case and battery combination.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-4-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Dave.
I already have a large capacity power bank very similar to that one (Also Aukey) but I'm really digging the case. I've forwarded that to my son who is looking for exactly that type of case. Nice find.
While looking at it I noticed this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P ... 9-978b-c18f09fd2727
Which is exactly the same but costs more. The only advantage is you can get it directly from Amazon Prime, possibly sooner and could work out cheaper if placed with another order.
2019-4-13
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A case like that but one that incorporates the Wheel accessory would be perfect for me as I use the Wheel attached permanently.
2019-4-13
Use props
DragonsFather
lvl.1

Japan

Nice post Dave but there is an issue for some who travel a lot. The 20k mAh case is far too much for many airports to accept in Asia (maybe other countries around the world too). In China the maximum is 10k mAh so note that if you try to get it through Customs over here you are more than likely (I did get it through Shanghai but it was confiscated in Beijing) going to lose it. I had a 20k (they only cost around £10 here so not a biggie), had it confiscated and so now carry 2 x 10k and 1 x 5k (lipstick size).
2019-4-14
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video Dave - really nice down to earth approach
2019-4-14
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

nice find on the case, I hadn't seen that before.   

Also the advantage of what you have suggested is the power bank size is scalable , so whatever size you want - even something like this would give you 6 charges or so:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-P ... tronics&sr=1-12
2019-4-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-13 16:30
Hi Dave.
I already have a large capacity power bank very similar to that one (Also Aukey) but I'm really digging the case. I've forwarded that to my son who is looking for exactly that type of case. Nice find.
While looking at it I noticed this one

Yes, purchase direct from China is USD 7.5, plus postage, from Amazon is more direct and you can return it if you don't like it?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Storage-Box-Case-for-Dji-Osmo-Pocket-with-HandStrap-Portable-Waterproof-Case-Stable-Storage-Hard-Case/32994855778.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.98.1f447d73U76lzk&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_537_536,searchweb201603_90,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=8a9f2093-77b2-497e-aa97-13337be3cf35-14&algo_pvid=8a9f2093-77b2-497e-aa97-13337be3cf35
2019-4-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

In general, 6,000 to 10,000 mAh is good for normal daily use, unless you have to do a very long timelapse. But for traveling, it powers all your gadgets which needs USB power. Airport restriction is one important thing to observe.
2019-4-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

The case is nicely designed and understatement. if they provide an add on belt clip, it would be even nicer.
2019-4-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-14 01:55
The case is nicely designed and understatement. if they provide an add on belt clip, it would be even nicer.

But it's important to realise that IP rating only makes it splashproof. It does not, for instance, prevent water ingress during a shower or heavy rain.
2019-4-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-14 03:39
But it's important to realise that IP rating only makes it splashproof. It does not, for instance, prevent water ingress during a shower or heavy rain.

Hi Ray.

Like I said in the video, mine didn't leak water when submerged.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 4-14 05:25
Hi Ray.

Hi Dave, I guess you have to press it down into the sink during your test, I think in general, it will float.
2019-4-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 4-14 05:25
Hi Ray.

Hi Dave.
Maybe they are just being cautious with their IP ratings. In which case that's a good thing. I would rather make a decision base on an underrating than an overrating. I don't distrust your review Dave I was just pointing out the specs on the Amazon site. Your advice on retrieving the case ASAP is good advice and I think it's the best small dedicated case I've seen so far. As far as power supplies go, I'm with you. The Aukey range of products, in general, are normally very high quality and safe to leave charging overnight. The main difference with mine is it shows the charge left and has a bright switchable LED I find useful at night as a torch.  I was concerned at first that most of these types of chargers had very hard plastic cases and may not fare well if dropped as batteries of this power don't react well to mishandling.
2019-4-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Hm ... I decided to buy one, apart from splash proof, it also prevent dust when you put inside a coat or bag.  The wireless module delivery time still unknown (they say possibly May), so I cancelled it, instead I rather spend some small amount of money for a better case and metal phone mount with cold shoe. The money saved also go to some small deadcat windshield for mics and some foam windshield for holding the OP solo with hand. I still cannot test the binaural mics because of bad weather recently.

I did test a bit the timelapse, I can set it via a USB-C to lightning cable with the phone, run it and then removed it without any hiccups. the wireless module is not secure when standing, my D shape clamp is much more reliable with a tripod for taking long duration videos.

The Original case will serve as a function during casual handheld protection while not shooting.

2019-4-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-14 05:53
Hi Dave.
Maybe they are just being cautious with their IP ratings. In which case that's a good thing. I would rather make a decision base on an underrating than an overrating. I don't distrust your review Dave I was just pointing out the specs on the Amazon site. Your advice on retrieving the case ASAP is good advice and I think it's the best small dedicated case I've seen so far. As far as power supplies go, I'm with you. The Aukey range of products, in general, are normally very high quality and safe to leave charging overnight. The main difference with mine is it shows the charge left and has a bright switchable LED I find useful at night as a torch.  I was concerned at first that most of these types of chargers had very hard plastic cases and may not fare well if dropped as batteries of this power don't react well to mishandling.

Hi Ray.

I totally agree with you, always side with caution with these things, or at least give something a dry run to test its abilities, or in this case a wet run

Or put it this way. The GP7 is waterproof but I'd still put it in a case if I went anywhere near water.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-14 05:33
Hi Dave, I guess you have to press it down into the sink during your test, I think in general, it will float.

Hi.

I put a weight on it to keep it down. Try it yourself when you get yours but don't put your Pocket in it. Make sure it has the rubber gasket in the lid and make sure the rubber port cover is properly pressed in.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Gelert Posted at 4-14 00:59
Great video Dave - really nice down to earth approach

Hi Gelert.

Thank you for the comment.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Great video Dave!  Thanks for taking the time to make these videos.  I will definitely order the OP case.  I own several Anker external batteries rated at various mAh and  I agree with you on all the points you mentioned comparing this set up to the luxurious charger that DJI is selling. I love technology and I’m a huge fan of camera accessories but the DJI charger is way too expensive for what it offers.  I read people saying you have to pay a premium to acquire good DJI products but at a low 1500 mAh output and cannot be used while recording... I honestly would put the money towards a back up Osmo Pocket instead.
2019-4-14
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Interesting! nice video
2019-4-14
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My case arrived today and I must admit I'm very pleased with it. Many thanks Dave for the heads up
2019-4-15
Use props
Essjay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Dave, I also bought one of these cases from Amazon. Nice case and I like the way it has a seal all the way round and has slots for the unused adaptors. However I’m a bit unsure as to how secure the case clip will be as it looks like it could easily be released by accident and allow the OP to fall out, so I’ve decided to use a small silicon band around the case as an added precaution.

Steve
2019-4-17
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Essjay Posted at 4-17 06:04
Hi Dave, I also bought one of these cases from Amazon. Nice case and I like the way it has a seal all the way round and has slots for the unused adaptors. However I’m a bit unsure as to how secure the case clip will be as it looks like it could easily be released by accident and allow the OP to fall out, so I’ve decided to use a small silicon band around the case as an added precaution.
[view_image]

Hi Steve.

That's a good idea. I've not had any issues at all with mine coming undone but there's nothing wrong with taking extra precautions.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-17
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Gelert Posted at 4-15 07:21
My case arrived today and I must admit I'm very pleased with it. Many thanks Dave for the heads up

Hi Gelert.

I'm glad you are happy with it. For the price I don't even think there's any down sides to this case.

I'll be doing a video soon with another case that makes up my ultra-portable rig.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-17
Use props
k_hargy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51624 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you fit the camera in the case with the phone connector on but inverted?
2019-4-17
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Huhuhuhuhu ... I only have an ECC = El Cheapo Case

2019-4-17
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

Can the OP be stored with a filter on? I imagine it can but just want to be sure before purchasing that case.
2019-4-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

k_hargy Posted at 4-17 09:53
Can you fit the camera in the case with the phone connector on but inverted?

No, only at storage position. (there is 0.5-1.0 mm short of space......)
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

tripleburst Posted at 4-17 10:15
Can the OP be stored with a filter on? I imagine it can but just want to be sure before purchasing that case.

Unfortunately, No...... ..... I have a very slim C- shape plastic lens protector, it can.

Actually there are some space left in the case, if the filter is not thicker than 3-4mm, then you still can put it at the side with a thin metal piece glue on the side wall of the case.

The C-shape lens cover.

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 10.21.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 10.21.05 PM.png
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

k_hargy Posted at 4-17 09:53
Can you fit the camera in the case with the phone connector on but inverted?

If you have skillful fingers and do some measurements, you can cut a small groove of 0.5mm deep, then it will hold the OP securely.
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

One thing to pay attention, the slots for holding phone connecter is tight enough, but not for the cover at the OP, it is not tight enough to hold it, beware of losing it.
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Essjay Posted at 4-17 06:04
Hi Dave, I also bought one of these cases from Amazon. Nice case and I like the way it has a seal all the way round and has slots for the unused adaptors. However I’m a bit unsure as to how secure the case clip will be as it looks like it could easily be released by accident and allow the OP to fall out, so I’ve decided to use a small silicon band around the case as an added precaution.
[view_image]

Safer indeed.

When I cut a groove/recess at the case to make room for the phone adapter, the plastic seems strong and not brittle, it can be safe for some time, of cause it will age.
2019-4-24
Use props
DarrenG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nice find. Grabbed one from Amazon as a nice compact hard case so I can carry it in my travel bag and charge without fear of it being damaged or scuffed. For £8 UK it’s a bargain and it even has storage slots for two smartphone adapter dongles.
image.jpg
image.jpg
2019-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules