Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
It's not the Rode Wireless GO, but it's what I got...
5291 17 2019-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Review of Sony ECMCS3 and ECMAW4 w/ Osmo Pocket

Howdy folks, I thought I'd present you guys a quick little review of a pairing that I've made with the Osmo Pocket. I realize that there is a lot of current interest in the soon to be released Rode Wireless GO System, but I had already been looking for something similar prior to hearing about it and I had already purchased prior to learning about the Rode system. So, that being said, I'll present to you, my thoughts on Sony's "sorta-similar" ECMAW4 wireless mic system used in combination with the Sony ECMCS3 Stereo Lapel mic…

Let's start with the wireless transmitter and receiver set…The Sony ECM-AW4 system…

20190415_130313.jpg

The system comes with:

• Receiver Module (This is      about the size of a standard Lithium Ion 18650 cell for reference)
  • Transmitter Module      (Practically identical to the Receiver…in fact, other than the markings on      the front…you'd be hard-pressed to tell the two apart)
  • A cloth velour carrying case
  • Two earpieces (mono)
  • Two earhangers (for the      earpieces of course)
  • TRS cable
  • Armband for attaching the      microphone transmitter
  • A windscreen for the      microphone transmitter (we'll get to why in a moment)
  • An ungodly amount of basic      instructions in so many languages that I lost count…

So, the basic gist of the system is that the Transmitter and Receiver are pre-paired with each other and utilize Bluetooth 3.0 to wirelessly provide a mic input to your camera system. I believe that this system was originally intended to be used with Sony Camcorders, but really, it'll work for anything with a 3.5mm input jack. The range of the system is supposed to be up to 50ft in total, but I've personally never tested it that far, but I have walked from my first floor office to my second floor kitchen and I didn't note any dropouts, so I'm sure with good line of sight between the two modules that you would have little trouble getting close to the indicated distance. I personally can't imagine anyone ever needing to use this system that far away from the Osmo Pocket but I suppose others might have other use cases where they'd do so.

Both the transmitter and receiver each take a single AAA battery for power, and it's rated for up to 3 hours of continuous usage on a fresh pair of batteries. I've been utilizing a pair 500 MAH AAA Ni-MH batteries and they've given me no issues so far. As with the distance, I cannot ever imagine needing a recording session of 3 hours or more, but if you'd need such an ability, you could quickly swap out the AAA's for a fresh set at any time.

20190415_121344.jpg

As for operation, the devices are very simple. Turn on the receiver, and connect the 3.5mm earphone output to your device's input, and then turn on the microphone and either utilize the built-in omnidirectional mic that is built into the device or connect another microphone to the red mic input located at the top of the device. I've personally not tried the built-in microphone, but I've seen plenty of other reviews that describe it leaving a lot to be desired in terms of quality. Also, this is where the aforementioned windscreen comes into play, should you choose to utilize the built-in microphone.

Of course, I chose to utilize this set with Sony's Stereo Omnidirectional lapel mic, model ECM-CS3. For around $18-20 online at many locations, I think this mic is surprisingly good. Is it "top-notch" quality…I'm sure it is not, but for the money, it can't be that bad. It's not the most sturdy of items, but I take good care of it, and it is light, unobtrusive, and easy to deal with. If I break it…heck, I'll buy two or three more and still be ahead of the game

20190415_121410.jpg

My main goal is to be able to utilize the Osmo Pocket to produce some whiteboarding videos, training material, demonstrations, etc. So, being able to walk around, maintain audio, and not have wires hanging around was valuable to me. My current setup utilizes the DJI Osmo Tripod, usually my Insta360 One X Selfie Stick, the PGYTECH Osmo Pocket Holder, an iPhone X, and of course the two Sony systems already mentioned along with the Osmo Pocket. Each of the Sony Wireless devices has a built-in belt clip, and I've attached a small piece of hook and loop tape to the back of the receiver's belt clip and the rear of the PGYTECH Osmo Pocket holder. That way I can mount it out of the way while recording with the Osmo Pocket and still leave the top mounted cold shoe on the Osmo Pocket holder free for something like a video light should that be required. You can see a few photos of the setup right here:

20190415_121213.jpg
20190415_121236.jpg
20190415_121156.jpg

I find that this setup works quite nicely and stays generally compact in overall footprint. I don't worry about the receiver coming off because it is quite secure and additionally it is extremely lightweight.

So, how well does it work? Well, I'm no pro videographer, editor, or audio engineer, so take all of this with a ginormous grain of salt, but I think quite well in general. The following demo video has had zero editing and is straight out of the Osmo Pocket. Reviewing it now, it looks like the audio level is a litle hot...maybe not to the point of clipping, but boy...it's right on the edge!

For about $50 less than the upcoming Rode system (without a lapel mic), I think it's not too terribly bad and it certainly accomplishes my goal of allowing me to walk around unencumbered while recording video. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it works for me. What do you think? Is this something you might be interested in?

I hope you've enjoyed my brief review of this system. Please feel free to leave comments or suggestions and take care.

20190415_121305.jpg
20190415_121213.jpg
2019-4-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I liked the Test.
The audio levels were very good. (I don't know if you boosted it in post-production or not but background noise was minimal) and best of all the sound was not over sibilant and clean to hear.
2019-4-15
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was looking at this setup also. While it's a bit bigger than the Rode but I prefer using readily available battery so I won't have to worry able keeping more devices charged up all the time.
2019-4-15
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-15 12:18
I liked the Test.
The audio levels were very good. (I don't know if you boosted it in post-production or not but background noise was minimal) and best of all the sound was not over sibilant and clean to hear.

Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that I did nothing in post and this is a straight upload out of the Osmo Pocket. It's a little hot to me, but I guess it's not too terribly bad. My eyesight is going downhill fast so sometimes it's hard for me to see the little audio level meter on the display
2019-4-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

txtechnonerd Posted at 4-15 12:33
Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that I did nothing in post and this is a straight upload out of the Osmo Pocket. It's a little hot to me, but I guess it's not too terribly bad. My eyesight is going downhill fast so sometimes it's hard for me to see the little audio level meter on the display

Probably doesn't make a lot of difference whether you can see the level or not. The level varies a lot from mic to mic.  I'm even more, impressed as the level was higher than I've seen or experienced without processing. I didn't notice any clipping of the sound but you know your own voice best.
2019-4-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day txtechnonerd. Thanks for sharing these very interesting accessories and also the couple of information that you provide as well as the video presentation. This will help us a lot and also our valued DJI members and customer who is looking for this kind of information. Should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach us back and we are more than happy to help you out. Thanks a lot!
2019-4-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Hi, txtechnonerd, nice review. What do you feel about latency of transmission if you speak faster?
2019-4-15
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

Great review, thank you.
I still think that besides its quality, the best feature of this device is its size and portability and this setup is breaking this feature.
Anyway, great to know that this option is available.
By the way - how much does this setup cost in total?
2019-4-15
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Oh-no Posted at 4-15 20:34
Hi, txtechnonerd, nice review. What do you feel about latency of transmission if you speak faster?

It's hard to say. Being the redneck that I am (LOL), I'm usually not operating at auctioneer speeds. I will say though, that latency is one of the things they warn about in the manual for the device. In practice so far, i really haven't notices it being that bad. Maybe I'll try a test or two and see how bad i can get it...
2019-4-15
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJDream Posted at 4-15 20:42
Great review, thank you.
I still think that besides its quality, the best feature of this device is its size and portability and this setup is breaking this feature.
Anyway, great to know that this option is available.
Well, I got the wireless system for around $145 and the lapel mic was like $18, so i guess let's just go with around $170 all-in?

I don't know if the entirety of it adds that making it not be very portable. I typically always use the PGYTECH holder anyway, so just throwing the receiver on back there doesn't really phase me much... If you've ever seen the PGYTECH holder in person, you'd note that it's quite small and the receiver is even smaller...
2019-4-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

txtechnonerd Posted at 4-15 20:47
It's hard to say. Being the redneck that I am (LOL), I'm usually not operating at auctioneer speeds. I will say though, that latency is one of the things they warn about in the manual for the device. In practice so far, i really haven't notices it being that bad. Maybe I'll try a test or two and see how bad i can get it...

I see, Rode said their Wireless GO latency is 6ms, I don't know if Sony states it at their manual or not, for english conversation, normally small latency is OK, but for cantonese speaking, it is harder to sync.
2019-4-15
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

txtechnonerd Posted at 4-15 20:51
Well, I got the wireless system for around $145 and the lapel mic was like $18, so i guess let's just go with around $170 all-in?

I don't know if the entirety of it adds that making it not be very portable. I typically always use the PGYTECH holder anyway, so just throwing the receiver on back there doesn't really phase me much... If you've ever seen the PGYTECH holder in person, you'd note that it's quite small and the receiver is even smaller...

Thank you for the reply.
I assume that $170 is not so much for someone who needs sound quality, but considering the Osmo Pocket price of at least $350, adding this $170, you'll get a $520 which is not so cheap.
Add to it a few ND filters which are "a must" if you shot outdoors , selfie stick, tripod adapter, Power Bank, cables and much more, you'll get easy a $700 even not mentioning  other accessories like the Wireless Module or the Additional Controller...
Again, the main feature of this device in my opinion is Quality, Quality, Quality 4K @24-60fps video at a 100Mbit bit rate on a 100 gram device ready to use, just pick n'go.
2019-4-15
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJDream Posted at 4-15 21:07
Thank you for the reply.
I assume that $170 is not so much for someone who needs sound quality, but considering the Osmo Pocket price of at least $350, adding this $170, you'll get a $520 which is not so cheap.
Add to it a few ND filters which are "a must" if you shot outdoors , selfie stick, tripod adapter, Power Bank, cables and much more, you'll get easy a $700 even not mentioning  other accessories like the Wireless Module or the Additional Controller...

That's true, but I'd say that the mic and system could easily "outlive" the camera and would work with any camera with a 3.5mm jack, so there's always that going for it. Personally, sound always seems to be the lowest quality item captured by most consumer level cams, so improving it in anyway always seems to pay great dividends. I think if you didn't really value the thought of walking around without holding the OP all the time, then one could easily get away with just buying the DJI mic adapter and the lapel mic and be done with it. That'd be the cheapest path to much improved audio, IMHO.
2019-4-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

txtechnonerd Posted at 4-15 20:47
It's hard to say. Being the redneck that I am (LOL), I'm usually not operating at auctioneer speeds. I will say though, that latency is one of the things they warn about in the manual for the device. In practice so far, i really haven't notices it being that bad. Maybe I'll try a test or two and see how bad i can get it...

Hi, txtechnonerd, you can try a simple test, put the transmitter to a sound source, listen the receiver with the provided earphone in one ear, so you can hear some echo feeling with one ear to sound source, another with earphone, the bigger the echo means larger latency..... The easiest way to make this test is to hit a glass with a stick lightly.
2019-4-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

One of the advantages of this BT mic is, they can talk and listen with each another when not doing recordings, even when you records, you can monitor the connection at the transmitter side, if the sound from the recover cracks up, it means you are either too far away or interference occurs. In general, we do not need transmission more than 10 meters, latency is the most critical thing.
2019-4-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very comprehensive test review - thanks for sharing
2019-4-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
2019-4-17
Use props
GMTMT FILMS
lvl.2
  • >>>

I have this setup and I also have the RODE GO system. At the moment I'm getting a lot of intermittent high pitched noise with the GO. The Sony system is much more solid.
2019-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules