Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zap
lvl.2
Flight distance : 410942 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi

Can anyone help.  Im new to x5s prores and I have a few issues.  Firstly in ProRes 4444 I cant seem to record in mp4, only .mov.  I can select MP4 but the filetype is always .mov when you open it.  Is this right?  can I only record in .mov? (See attached photo)
1.jpg

Secondly, I can't shoot ProRes 4444 in 3840x2160 at 50fps - only 24 and 23.976.  Again is this correct?  Seems very limiting.

Thirdly at 24fps the images seem very jumpy even with the slowest of movements and there is quite a bit of noise over the image especially in the shadows.  My computer has just been speced out for 6k filming and I'm shooting with shutter at twice framerate eg 3830x2160 at 24fps 1/50th shutter 15mm f1.7 DJI prime lens 480gb Cinessd.  is this right.

I have to say im incredibly underwelmed with the camera at the moment

2019-4-16
Use props
WayneMann
lvl.4
United States

Hi.  If I am recording in ProRes 4444 I could really care less about the .MOV or MP4 files as they suck in comparison to the ProRes files.   The .MOV an MP4 files are a Long GOP codec.  That means that the first frame of the video is a real "picture" and the 5th or 6th frame is a real picture.  The ones in between are a computer interpretation of what those frames should look like.  Long story short with a drone and all of it's movement in high detailed footage the image gets really muddy looking.  ProRes is an All Intra Codec meaning every frame is an individual picture so you never get a muddy looking image.   So if I am shooting something important I always shoot in ProRes.  To answer your question I have no idea if you can switch between .MOV and MP4 when recording ProRes 4444.

When shooting ProRes 4444 or 422 you only have the option of 24p, 23.976 or 29.97.

Is the 24p footage jumpy on you new editing system or viewed on your ipad?  If you have dumped the ProRes footage into your editing system your hard drive may be too slow.  Try viewing it from the SSD reader plugged into the editing system.

As for the noisy image you do not mention what your iso is set to?  Shadows typically have noise in them, especially if they are under exposed.

If I am shooting ProRes I am ALWAYS shooting in LOG profile and then I grade in post.  Most of the time I start with a rec709 LUT.

I hope this helps.

Wayne Mann
www.helicamhighdefmedia.com
2019-4-17
Use props
JWatt69
New

United Kingdom

Prores is an apple video compression format, you can only record in .mov, which is an apple quicktime movie file, so your in an apple eco system using Prores. Thankfully .mov is compatible between both PC and Apple
2019-4-19
Use props
WayneMann
lvl.4
United States

I think he is talking about the files being recorded to the Micro SD Card, but I am not sure.  

Wayne Mann
2019-4-19
Use props
Zap
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WayneMann Posted at 4-17 12:22
Hi.  If I am recording in ProRes 4444 I could really care less about the .MOV or MP4 files as they suck in comparison to the ProRes files.   The .MOV an MP4 files are a Long GOP codec.  That means that the first frame of the video is a real "picture" and the 5th or 6th frame is a real picture.  The ones in between are a computer interpretation of what those frames should look like.  Long story short with a drone and all of it's movement in high detailed footage the image gets really muddy looking.  ProRes is an All Intra Codec meaning every frame is an individual picture so you never get a muddy looking image.   So if I am shooting something important I always shoot in ProRes.  To answer your question I have no idea if you can switch between .MOV and MP4 when recording ProRes 4444.

When shooting ProRes 4444 or 422 you only have the option of 24p, 23.976 or 29.97.

Wayne, you da man :-)  thanks mate it is becoming much clearer.  Because im using windows 10 i cant see the 4444 file and when I click on it like i do with  normal video fils it wont play and says file not supported.  I have to upload to prem pro to view it.  An then it's sticky and jumpy.  I just had my computer upgraded so it might be there is a bottle neck in my system that is preventing it from running.  One more thing.  The files on my cinessd say they are .mov when I have recorded in 4444 prores 24fps?  does that sound about right or should they have some other file type?

Thank you very much for your help though Wayne, things are starting to click a little with file types ect.
2019-4-19
Use props
Zap
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JWatt69 Posted at 4-19 04:27
Prores is an apple video compression format, you can only record in .mov, which is an apple quicktime movie file, so your in an apple eco system using Prores. Thankfully .mov is compatible between both PC and Apple

Thanks mate, I hoped it was that.  I understand now :-)
2019-4-19
Use props
Zap
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WayneMann Posted at 4-19 10:59
I think he is talking about the files being recorded to the Micro SD Card, but I am not sure.  

Yeah Wayne, I record to the ssd but it also creates a micro sd copy at the same time.  It is the micro SD that i have been reviewing because I can't really view the 4444 file.  Maybe thats the problem, the micro sd copy obviously is only 1080 or regular 4k which makes it look a bit interlacey (if thats a real word)

Is that link you?  whats your view of the x7?  been thinking about upgrading
2019-4-19
Use props
WayneMann
lvl.4
United States

Hi Zap,

Dealing with ProRes, which is a wonderful codec is a royal pain with a Windows based machine.  I was on Windows 10 with Adobe Creative Cloud and just got totally fed up with the issues of dealing with ProRes on that system so I broke down and bought an iMac and Final Cut Pro X three months ago and life is good again.  On your system you have to take the ProRes files into your editor to view them and because they are still an "Apple" product they will not play nice.  At least they didn't for me.

The micro SD files are not suffering from an interlacey thing.  They are suffering from the Long GOP codec that I explained earlier.  In you situation I would use these files to determine what I want to edit and then bring in the matching ProRes files to edit and export.

Yes, that link takes you to my website.  I like the X7 much better than the X5 but, because it has a Super 35 sensor you have to be much more careful with the longer lenses when you are shooting nearly wide open and close to your subject as focus becomes a pain to deal with.  We have to have an AC ride focus via DJI's follow focus wheel on most of our shoots because of the sensor size.  Most of our work is still done with one of our heavy lift Octos, or our Alta 8 carrying an Alexa Mini.  The X7 doesn't get anywhere near that quality with the exception of resolution, but it is a whole lot cheaper to own and operate.  Plus it is a lot quieter, smaller and much easier to travel with via Airlines.

Wayne Mann
2019-4-19
Use props
Zap
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WayneMann Posted at 4-19 20:29
Hi Zap,

Dealing with ProRes, which is a wonderful codec is a royal pain with a Windows based machine.  I was on Windows 10 with Adobe Creative Cloud and just got totally fed up with the issues of dealing with ProRes on that system so I broke down and bought an iMac and Final Cut Pro X three months ago and life is good again.  On your system you have to take the ProRes files into your editor to view them and because they are still an "Apple" product they will not play nice.  At least they didn't for me.

Thanks again mate. Really appreciate this
2019-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules