Eagle nest in Portland OR
1040 14 2019-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Topher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202644 ft

United States

I walked out along the Columbia Sough from Kelly Point park and flew out over Smith and Bybee Lakes near an eagle's nest. I think I maintained a respectable distance. A little later the Mavic was joined in flight by another raptor, either a juvenile eagle or red tail hawk. It didn't seem at all disturbed by my presence. I have been watching the two juvenile eagles for a few weeks now. They sometimes act like kittens in the air. I watched them learning to hunt ducks, swooping around each other, and once I swear one was doing loops. Also seen in the video is the lovely Wapato Jail, built years ago and never populated but still a no fly zone, and the old Portland dump, now a lovely large field off limits to civilians.
2019-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice video. You fly that MP well
2019-4-16
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Awesome.video. You are more brave than I am that’s for sure. Eagles have been known to attack drones. I guess you know that ? Anyway, great work and it was enjoyable to watch. Thanks for sharing.  
2019-4-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great to see you didn't bother the bald eagle.  Great flying.
2019-4-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Nice footage
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Topher. Thank you for sharing this wonderful video you have shot. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-4-17
Use props
Climbnride58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67736 ft
United States

Seems like you were far enough away. FYI, but you probably know this, it's against the law to harass federally protected animals.
2019-4-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cool video!
2019-4-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent video
2019-4-17
Use props
Topher
lvl.4

United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-16 19:11
Awesome.video. You are more brave than I am that’s for sure. Eagles have been known to attack drones. I guess you know that ? Anyway, great work and it was enjoyable to watch. Thanks for sharing.

I was a little nervous about being attacked, but I was pretty far away, just made the one pass, and kept my eyes out for birds in flight. One time during another flight I got swooped by an eagle but it left and I beat a hasty retreat.
2019-4-17
Use props
Topher
lvl.4

United States

Climbnride58 Posted at 4-17 10:49
Seems like you were far enough away. FYI, but you probably know this, it's against the law to harass federally protected animals.

I think I kept a respectful distance and didn't linger. I don't think the Mavic would be more disturbing than the kayakers and birders who trek out there. I hope that I won't be viewed as harassing the birds.
2019-4-17
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Topher Posted at 4-17 17:06
I was a little nervous about being attacked, but I was pretty far away, just made the one pass, and kept my eyes out for birds in flight. One time during another flight I got swooped by an eagle but it left and I beat a hasty retreat.

LOL, wow !!!  There is this place in Virginia Beach that’s called stumpy lake. It’s awesome. It is crash water and has  Cypress trees growing in it  My family went there and I was going to fly my spark. This man told me not to because an  Eagle was on its nest it would probably attack my drone. He wasn’t a park ranger but just a bird watcher I think.  It freaked me out so much I decided not to fly the drone he was extremely convincing   
Did you see that YouTube video about  The eagle that attacked the phantom drone in Alaska  ?
Anyway, I enjoyed your video and thanks for posting it.
2019-4-17
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Nicely done, thanks for sharing
2019-4-18
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia