12Next >
8285 52 2019-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

Hey guys,
     I have a mavic 2 zoom that has now crashed itself twice. Some of you may have seen my other thread where the drone crashes at 100km/h. In the second crash the drone just flies itself into a hillside. DJI is declining to warranty these crashes... for what reason? they won't even really say anymore.

Anyways, my question is this... How common is it for a drone to crash without inputs from the controller? I'm not talking about people flying their drone into something, but the drone doing something it shouldn't completely on its own? Does this happen to you guys?

It seems to me that if they are refusing to warranty my drone it must be because there are so many crashes caused like this that they need to fight it or it would be too expensive??

My crashes are so proveably a faulty drone that there is no question about it so why are they resisting so strongly?

They are offering to repair the drone for $350ish . The reality of my situation is that I would probably pay it to be done with this whole thing if they were going to replace the drone completely... but if they are just going to fix the plastic on my drone then I don't really want to spend the money. Not only will it not actually fix the problem with the drone... It will just crash itself again I'm sure so why bother fixing the plastic??

Is this actually a common problem and people just live with it? Or do I truly have one of the few malfunctioning drones? If more drones actually behave like mine and fly off at 100km/h then that's pretty darn scary, seeing as how many drones are out there flying over people.

2019-4-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not too common if you ask me.
There are so many Mavics out there and only a small number of crashes.
Usually related to human error. (not all, but a lot of them can be traced back to human error)
Of course you will find most of the problems here. That is what a forum is for, but my assumption is that they don't occur very often, considering the amount of flights that take place every day.
I for sure never had one during the 250.000m  I have flown.
2019-4-17
Use props
Headcase81
lvl.3
Flight distance : 665965 ft
Denmark

I had a m2z flying of heratically thus colliding with a wall, direction almost direct opposite home point, was diagnosed as a faulty remote and a new unit is in transit. THX DJI... Not to rub your nose in it, but might be worth it to check the strength of transmission on the controller.
2019-4-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I have the zoom as well and to hear that it is crashing on its own is a real mystery. I fly my drone way way out of LOS in heavy winds sometimes and quite high up I may add and have not crashed, what was the errors on the flight log, did it pick up compass issues, have you calibrated the compass Imu properly, these Mavic 2 drones are very solidly built with very little to almost no issues if you ask me.
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Wally Fish. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom crashed. I hope you'll get the information here from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. In addition to avoid these trouble please check if the drone is updated to it's most recent update and if the drone is fully calibrated as well. If in case the drone crashed it is best to contact our DJI Support team at  https://www.dji.com/support. Just a friendly reminder please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank for your understanding and support.
2019-4-17
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

See, That's what I though... they aren't that common so I don't understand why they are fighting this?? The drone is so faulty its dangerous... I don't know why they would want that drone in the air to be honest?

One thing I have with the Drone that seemed weird is that it want's me to calibrate the compass almost every flight. Do you guys have that?

See my last response from DJI was that I put in the inputs to turn off the motors mid flight... I didn't actually do that... But the flight data shows it happening when the drone is going 79km/h. and then it crashes at 103 km/h.

I'm at a loss as to why they aren't replacing this drone?
2019-4-17
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

Hi Stephen,
    The Drone is actually at DJI right now and you are refusing to warranty the crash. Which is a huge mystery to me.

I was new to drones so I thought for some reason the first crash may have been my fault. Now that I have had to look into this so much on my own because the company is trying to not honor it's warranty, I am 100% positive that I did not cause either of the crashes.

2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 11:45
Hi Stephen,
    The Drone is actually at DJI right now and you are refusing to warranty the crash. Which is a huge mystery to me.

Thank you for the additional information Wally Fish. Are you able to provide me the case number for us to review it and to help you further. Thank you.
2019-4-17
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

Headcase81 Posted at 4-17 11:26
I had a m2z flying of heratically thus colliding with a wall, direction almost direct opposite home point, was diagnosed as a faulty remote and a new unit is in transit. THX DJI... Not to rub your nose in it, but might be worth it to check the strength of transmission on the controller.

See, I thought that might be it on the first one. But the drone was in clear line of sight about 100m from me. There are no errors showing up in the flight log at all... It just accelerates up to 103km/h before crashing into the ground.

Your experience with DJI is what I have heard and is what I was expecting in my case but they are just trying everything to not warranty it.

Like I said, I'd even pay the $350 to get a new drone... but not to get back the same faulty one.
2019-4-17
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-17 11:49
Thank you for the additional information Wally Fish. Are you able to provide me the case number for us to review it and to help you further. Thank you.

I sent it to you but I'm sure it will go nowhere. This has been going on for over a month now.
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 12:00
I sent it to you but I'm sure it will go nowhere. This has been going on for over a month now.

Hi, good day Wally fish. Thank you for the additional information. Rest assured that our DJI Data Analysis team are investigating what really happened to the drone. Once the investigation finish, we will be sending you the result for you to be informed as well. Thank you for your patience and support.
2019-4-17
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-17 15:46
Hi, good day Wally fish. Thank you for the additional information. Rest assured that our DJI Data Analysis team are investigating what really happened to the drone. Once the investigation finish, we will be sending you the result for you to be informed as well. Thank you for your patience and support.

Gamora,
    They have looked at the data and they are trying to tell me that I caused the crashes.
    They are 100% wrong and they know it. The data proves everything I’m saying in both cases.

None of this makes sense to me. I’ve always heard that DJI we’re good and stand behind their product, but maybe that’s not the case anymore?
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thank you for the additional information. I've sent you a PM please check it if you have time. Thank you
2019-4-17
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

I've been flying DJI aircraft and reading these boards for several years.  

I would say crashes are not uncommon - these are incredibly complicated machines, using wireless tech to communicate over miles, and subject to all kinds of natural forces (magnetism, winds, etc).  It's not uncommon for something to go wrong.  But I'd say the overwhelming percentage of the time it's user error, not the aircraft malfunctioning.  

Quick question for OP - you say that DJI is saying you caused the crash by issuing a CSC command with the sticks, but then you also say that the data proves that you are not at fault.  Which is it?  
2019-4-17
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

Damager Posted at 4-17 18:07
I've been flying DJI aircraft and reading these boards for several years.  

I would say crashes are not uncommon - these are incredibly complicated machines, using wireless tech to communicate over miles, and subject to all kinds of natural forces (magnetism, winds, etc).  It's not uncommon for something to go wrong.  But I'd say the overwhelming percentage of the time it's user error, not the aircraft malfunctioning.  

Hey Damager,
    This is the reason that I chocked up the first crash to maybe something environmental... it still flew, so I kept going with it.
    The second time was out in the middle of nowhere with no interference around so I sent it in.

On the first crash they just sent me back a message that says I pulled the left stick full left and down and pulled the right stick full right and down... they then said "This turns off the drone which caused the crash" Well when the data shows I did this (Which I didn't but that's a believe me or not) the drone was traveling at 79km/h in position mode. During the time that the data shows the sticks in this position (which they weren't) the drone accelerated from 79km/h to 103km/h which doesn't exactly back up the "Turned it off" thing.

The second crash the drone was moving horizontally by itself. I turned the drone around and it kept going into the side of a hill. At the last second I pushed the control stick to go forward, which would have moved the drone away from the hill, but it had already crashed. They sent me a message saying "you flew it into the hill" which is very obviously not the case.

I don't know how to send you guys flight logs, but if you want to have a look then let me know how to post those.

They are also now saying that the drone malfunctioned in the first crash, but because I crashed it the second time (which I didn't and the data proves) then the warranty is void.

The second crash was at 1km/h into powder snow... It actually did nothing to the drone but I'm just fed up with this faulty equipment.
2019-4-17
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

So I just figured out the easy way to post the flight log here...

This is the first crash... the drone stopped responding properly around the 53 second mark. then accelerated up to 103km/h which we all know should be impossible, so how would I possibly do this??

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0RPVZ9AZ9VFXK6XEHZ6Z/

This is the second crash...

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Y7A4V0IQTI3UUP2HFFR8/

As you can see it is drifting away from me during the end of the flight and accelerates away from me without any pitch inputs and then hits the hill before I put a pitch input in that would have saved the drone.

At 42 seconds I stop the drone... It then accelerates away from me uncommanded... I pull full stick back until 45 sec but it still travels away from me.

I turn it around and it slow speed crashes itself into the hill before any more pitch inputs.

DJI just seems to be ignoring all of this... I'm kinda dumbfounded at their response
2019-4-17
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

Thanks for the update - the logs are key to getting the experts here involved - I'm no expert in log analysis, but I'll be following and hope it gets resolved.
2019-4-17
Use props
Headcase81
lvl.3
Denmark

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 11:52
See, I thought that might be it on the first one. But the drone was in clear line of sight about 100m from me. There are no errors showing up in the flight log at all... It just accelerates up to 103km/h before crashing into the ground.

Your experience with DJI is what I have heard and is what I was expecting in my case but they are just trying everything to not warranty it.

In my case I was standing 15mtrs tops from the drone no interference what so ever. Right now I'm a bit annoyed, send a letter with the package when I shipped it to the Barendrecht facility telling them to put 2sets of wings on the bill upon returning the new unit, after checking the invoice I saw that this was not done, wrote to clarify my request and got the answer "too bad already shipped". Now it's a matter of principles, DJI acknowledges that the previous unit was faulty, but won't provide me with a set of wings which was destroyed due to a faulty rc?
2019-4-18
Use props
Headcase81
lvl.3
Denmark

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 11:52

Had a reading on height while flying at 9mtrs, of one mtr in the log. Momentarily before the crash it reads - 68mtr although it's not possible to have a negative reading when the floor is both the point of take off and absolute cero?... Odd.
2019-4-18
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1688973 ft
Mexico

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 11:41
See, That's what I though... they aren't that common so I don't understand why they are fighting this?? The drone is so faulty its dangerous... I don't know why they would want that drone in the air to be honest?

One thing I have with the Drone that seemed weird is that it want's me to calibrate the compass almost every flight. Do you guys have that?

flights logs sent here can be analyzed.   Just saying....              No one in jail is quilty and crashes are always the fault of the aircraft.
2019-4-18
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 19:45

This is the first crash... the drone stopped responding properly around the 53 second mark. then accelerated up to 103km/h which we all know should be impossible, so how would I possibly do this??

I don't know if you visit Mavic Pilots but there are a few really excellent members who really can analyze the logs and figure out what's what.  Obviously, no guarantees but give them a try.

I do have a question - if it crashed once, did you have it repaired or looked at?  Could it have been subtly damaged and that caused the second crash?

2019-4-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Update: Sorry for question.  First load of page got cutoff after post #2.

2019-4-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 19:45

30-seconds into flight, you spin drone 180-degrees, then fly it backwards.  Around 44-seconds you spin drone 180-degrees and hoover.  Around 52-seconds drone starts to fly sideways to it's Port side.  Second later you say drone stops responding.  

Trying to replay flight through viewer, on a couple of occassions drone appears to be moving wrong direction from what Joystick command was.  Were there high winds?  
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Wally Fish Posted at 4-17 19:19
Hey Damager,
    This is the reason that I chocked up the first crash to maybe something environmental... it still flew, so I kept going with it.
    The second time was out in the middle of nowhere with no interference around so I sent it in.

I do apologize for what happened and for the whole situation. I am afraid to tell you that the solution to your case remains the same. We already exhausted every possible resolution regarding your request/claim. However, please do understand that we do have also a policy to comply and that will be the reference to every escalation that was raised in our department. My team and I considered your side but it won't satisfy the claim and we only based the decision on the data that we have and the information that you have provided. I hope you understand the situation. Thank you.
2019-4-18
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-18 11:37

30-seconds into flight, you spin drone 180-degrees, then fly it backwards.  Around 44-seconds you spin drone 180-degrees and hoover.  Around 52-seconds drone starts to fly sideways to it's Port side.  Second later you say drone stops responding.  

Ya, I was playing with the drone and flying it around.
You are correct, the drone travels the opposite direction from the command inputs. It didn't stop responding completely at first but by the time it starts to travel back to me it was fully out of control.
Once it completely loses it, the drone just starts accelerating past me and then crashes at a speed that everyone here knows should never happen.
2019-4-18
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

ff22 Posted at 4-18 10:29
I don't know if you visit Mavic Pilots but there are a few really excellent members who really can analyze the logs and figure out what's what.  Obviously, no guarantees but give them a try.

I do have a question - if it crashed once, did you have it repaired or looked at?  Could it have been subtly damaged and that caused the second crash?

Hey ff22,
     So the drone crashed the first time and it was fairly new. I was also new to flying it so I thought maybe it was me. It continued to work so I flew it a few more times.
     DJI has now said that because I kept flying it and didn't send it in after the first crash that they are refusing to warranty it. I don't really see what that has to do with the drone crashing at 100km/h but they seem to think there's a correlation.
      As you can see in the second crash the drone also flies itself off in a different direction than the control inputs. At this point I had had enough and I sent it in.
    I suppose it's possible that the first crash did additional damage, but the second crash was at 1.3km/h into powder snow so it didn't so any damage to the drone.
2019-4-18
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

Dronin Posted at 4-18 10:10
flights logs sent here can be analyzed.   Just saying....              No one in jail is quilty and crashes are always the fault of the aircraft.

I'm guessing you meant "Can't" be analyzed? One of the other members was able to look at it.

I'm personally completely sure that the crash is the fault of the drone, but that's why I sent the logs so that the community can make sure I'm right.  
2019-4-18
Use props
Wally Fish
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 4-18 14:23
I do apologize for what happened and for the whole situation. I am afraid to tell you that the solution to your case remains the same. We already exhausted every possible resolution regarding your request/claim. However, please do understand that we do have also a policy to comply and that will be the reference to every escalation that was raised in our department. My team and I considered your side but it won't satisfy the claim and we only based the decision on the data that we have and the information that you have provided. I hope you understand the situation. Thank you.

Diana,
     Your policy is to warrant your product from manufacturer defect. The data in this case 100% proves manufacturer defect. The data clearly shows the drone flying itself and not responding to command inputs. For a Drone that is pretty much the definition of defective.

This is also 100% about ethics and morals for me and not money. I will be filing a small claims suit against DJI for the value of the drone for breach of contract. I'll post the results of that here later if anyone is interested.

Besides all of that... If I was a drone manufacturer and one of my drones took off by itself at 103km/h and crashed near people I would want to get that drone out of the sky as fast as I could. Evidently you don't.
2019-4-18
Use props
donvictorio
lvl.1

Egypt

My DJI Mavic 2 pro crashed due to poor gps signal. In tripod mode sensors would not stop drone from moving at high speed until it hit the wall of a building. Neither did my controls help as drone would not listen to it at all.

I find DJI Mavic 2 Pro extremely unreliable if in case of poor gps data (6-7 satellites in view) drone cannot be be controlled and collision sensors would not work.

2020-3-17
Use props
playtime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

My M2Z has done 3482 klm 407 flights and has been flawless.99% of my flying is over water with the RE goggles. I believe the drone and technology behind it are rock solid. When I do read of mishaps resulting in an accident 90%+ are pilot error. Safe Flying
2020-3-17
Use props
donvictorio
lvl.1

Norway

playtime1 Posted at 3-17 23:41
My M2Z has done 3482 klm 407 flights and has been flawless.99% of my flying is over water with the RE goggles. I believe the drone and technology behind it are rock solid. When I do read of mishaps resulting in an accident 90%+ are pilot error. Safe Flying

Flying above water means no issues with GPS nor interference from any other sources. No wonder it flies like a bird.

When there's interference or poor view of the sky (due to high buildings) then drone's algorithms have its moments of trial. And that's an area where DJI must improve.

2020-3-18
Use props
playtime1
lvl.4
Australia

donvictorio Posted at 3-18 03:16
Flying above water means no issues with GPS nor interference from any other sources. No wonder it flies like a bird.

When there's interference or poor view of the sky (due to high buildings) then drone's algorithms have its moments of trial. And that's an area where DJI must improve.

You should not be flying in populated areas you put your self and more importantly everybody else at risk against the law where I live and in most countries the same try thinking about others. Fly Safe
2020-3-18
Use props
donvictorio
lvl.1

Norway

playtime1 Posted at 3-18 03:24
You should not be flying in populated areas you put your self and more importantly everybody else at risk against the law where I live and in most countries the same try thinking about others. Fly Safe

Thank you for your good note but its irrelevant to the case
2020-3-18
Use props
playtime1
lvl.4
Australia

donvictorio Posted at 3-18 03:30
Thank you for your good note but its irrelevant to the case

But not to yours
2020-3-19
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

My first Mavic 2 Zoom was a return to Best Buy that someone repacked in a different box. Serials did not match(I did not know until I went to return it) and the front sensors didn’t work. On my first flight, it got caught in a tree branch and bounced off the ground. It still flew ok, but Best Buy would not accept the return because the box and drone did not have matching serials. I got info from DJI that both SN’s were already activated and Best Buy finally agreed to do a exchange. Now with working sensors I imagine it would be tough to crash unless in Sport mode.
2020-4-9
Use props
Vincstyle
New
Malaysia

My mavic pro just crashed into ocean, even i have set the home GPS, but it suddenly connection error and didn't come home.
2020-8-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How long is a piece of string? How do you define a 'crash'? Is it the props crashing against grass or rocks on landing or flying the drone at 40MPH into a brick wall and picking up the pieces or the drone falling out of the sky never to be seen again? Major crashes reported on here are minimal but some may crash and bin the drone or sell as spare parts and never report it. Only DJI will have the true number of replacement claims. I suspect the % will be low when compared to the number of Mavic units sold. I've owned 12 DJI drones over the past four years and flown c.13,000,000 feet (2,300 miles). I've had one indoor 'crash' resulting in my just having to replace the props - DJI were not informed as the drone remained in perfect working order. I've never 'crashed' outdoors.
2020-8-4
Use props
djiuser_cNJTVoks0cOg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 189324 ft
Russia

my mavic 2 zoom in T mode itself flew into the rock and fell into the water. I tried to stop him with sticks, but he didn't react. The remote control squeaked that an obstacle was detected and the drone slowly flew straight into the rock. The drone lay in the river at a depth of 3.5 meters for 4 hours. The drone was new, flew only a few hours.
2020-9-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_cNJTVoks0cOg Posted at 9-1 01:31
my mavic 2 zoom in T mode itself flew into the rock and fell into the water. I tried to stop him with sticks, but he didn't react. The remote control squeaked that an obstacle was detected and the drone slowly flew straight into the rock. The drone lay in the river at a depth of 3.5 meters for 4 hours. The drone was new, flew only a few hours.

I tried to stop him with sticks, but he didn't react.
There will be more to this incident than you are aware of.
If you post your flight data, someone might be able to analyse it and point out the actual cause of the crash.
2020-9-1
Use props
villdev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 189324 ft
Russia

Labroides Posted at 9-1 02:03
I tried to stop him with sticks, but he didn't react.
There will be more to this incident than you are aware of.
If you post your flight data, someone might be able to analyse it and point out the actual cause of the crash.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/478tjqat5k4l3mi/djiflightrecord_2020-08-30_%5B08-49-00%5D.txt?dl=0 is this log needed?
2020-9-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules