Why can't DJI drones on loss, automatically "Chirp"
753 9 2019-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

After reading yet another lost drone report.  Asking DJI to consider two things:
1) Firmware be added to existing DJI drones to automatically "Chirp" when drone losses contact with R.C. / SmartDevice...
2) On future drones, DJI implement an emergency automatic "Chirp" system, whereby a rechargeable button battery keeps Chirpping going for days...

Smoke Detectors have an automatic "Chirp" when internal battery gets to low.  Smoke Detector can go on Chirrping for days.  Thus, technology is already present.

Can't speak for other countries, but Smoke Detectors sold in U.S. have an annoying "Chirp" than can be heard through out a house.  Depending on placement of Smoke Detector and design of house, the annoying "Chirp" can sometimes be heard outside house.

Admittedly, hearing impaired would need a "Chirp" detector (as in a good friend to help in search).

2019-4-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I recall they use to have a bleep that you could turn on to help in recovering a downed drone but that seems to have been removed - I think it was on the Phantoms though so the tech is already there.
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day HedgeTrimmer. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us today. I will forward this thread to our DJI R&D Team for further development. Thank you for your insights and valued support.
2019-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 4-17 12:25
I recall they use to have a bleep that you could turn on to help in recovering a downed drone but that seems to have been removed - I think it was on the Phantoms though so the tech is already there.

Believe it was Find my drone / tracking option?   As you say, tech should be there.
For #1, really a matter of adding firmware to automatically trigger "Chirp" upon loss of contact with R.C. / WiFi-SmartDevice.  (Or upon crash, motor fault?)

For #2, that would require new hardware.  Standalone Chirp system.  Rechargeable button battery could be kept charged from drone's main battery pack.

If I were buying a new drone, given how expensive drones are, I would gladly pay more (within reason) for builtin Emergency locator.  Even though I have never lost a drone.  To me, slight weight penalty, resulting in slight loss of flight time would be well worth it.  Perhaps not for others?
2019-4-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-17 12:41
Believe it was Find my drone / tracking option?   As you say, tech should be there.
For #1, really a matter of adding firmware to automatically trigger "Chirp" upon loss of contact with R.C. / WiFi-SmartDevice.  (Or upon crash, motor fault?)

That's the one.
Sound suggestions fella
2019-4-17
Use props
djiuser_MTeVbcaaogbc
lvl.1
United States

One idea is to get a third party tracker transmitter/receiver, but would need transmitter small and lightweight,most use the VHF ranges low power so should not interfere with Drone wireless.
2019-4-20
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-17 12:41

Tech is there. This is from Pilot app.

2019-4-20
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

about a year ago I found mine and it was flashing and beeping. unless they changed something I thought it always beeped.
2019-4-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 4-20 06:54
about a year ago I found mine and it was flashing and beeping. unless they changed something I thought it always beeped.

ESC Beeping and Smart LED can only be used when the drone is connected, or it will fail to send the order.
2019-4-20
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-20 10:02
ESC Beeping and Smart LED can only be used when the drone is connected, or it will fail to send the order.

yes as I recall it was connected HT. thank you for your input.
2019-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules