16002 20 2019-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Last summer I traveled from Canada to Europe.  I flew extensively in Germany including on a river cruise with a Mavic Air and Spark.  The ship’s captain was very intrigued with the drone as no one had ever brought one on board before me.  He had no issues with me flying off the boat but I did, so I only made flights when the ship was docked.  

Preparation

Six months before the trip I visited Lufthansa Technik’s SafeDrone website.  There was an Academy page where I learned the UAV operating rules for Germany.  After taking the course, which was in German, there was an online test which I passed.  I also registered my UAVs with SafeDrone.  A month later I received a Pilot Certificate and aluminum ID tags for my UAVs in the mail.
SafeDrone Cover small.jpg
Shortly before I departed I obtained 5 million euros of liability insurance through HDI Global SE as required by German regulations.  Insurance was valid throughout the EU and cost 30 euros for a month of coverage.  I could obtain this because I was visiting a relative and used his address.  Typically the insurance is not sold to foreigners.
HDI Insurance small.jpg
The Mavic Air and Spark flymore packages come with small travel bags.  They hold the UAV, Batteries and Controller.  The bags fit nicely into a backpack which was carry-on for the flight.  Chargers were in the checked baggage.  Airport security x-rayed the backpack and never looked inside both flight directions.  I have traveled to many countries around the world with drones and never had an issue at security or customs.  However there are countries that will take your drone so it’s important to check first.  In the last three years I have flown into Germany, France, Romania, USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Brazil, South Africa, Zambia and Namibia with a Drone as carry-on without a security or customs issue.

Flying

The golden rule for flying abroad and at home is to respect those around you.  I found it best to fly early in the day when there were very few people around.  If flying off someone’s property I would ask if it was OK but mostly I took off and landed on the deck of the ship.  I also kept my flights short.  Usually I shot video while climbing to altitude and then take a 360 panorama.  Shot video again on the way down.  I always flew with a vertical and horizontal Geofence, 100m and 300m.  Also remember you don’t always have to fly our drone to get good video, it works very nicely hand held as well.  In the Cruise video the shots under the bridges in Frankfurt are from a hand held Spark.  I brought along 4 Mavic Air and 3 Spark batteries.  Didn’t need that many, two of each would have been sufficient as I always had access to AC power to recharge them.  When traveling you also need a way to save data from microSD cards.  I brought a Chromebook with an external 500 Gig SSD drive.  Plenty of room for files however in the future I will bring two SSDs and save two copies of my data stored in seperate places in case one crashes or gets lost.  
Below are videos and 360° pictures from the trip.

Cologne with the magnificent Cathedral.

Town of Rudesheim

Locks at Krutzenburg

Town of Wertheim

Town of Wurtzburg

Town of Kitzingenhttps://www.skypixel.com/photos/kitzingen-pano

Locks at Bachhausen

Bamburg Harbour

2019-4-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent thread and images
2019-4-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Outstanding
2019-4-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks Captain Woe.  Have a look again as I added a few more 360s.
2019-4-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 4-20 19:31
Thanks Captain Woe.  Have a look again as I added a few more 360s.

Very nice
2019-4-21
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great information! Nice work
2019-4-22
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

jacksonnai Posted at 4-22 04:49
Great information! Nice work

Thanks very much Captain Jacksonnai.
2019-4-23
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 4-23 05:09
Thanks very much Captain Jacksonnai.

You're welcome buddy!
2019-4-25
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great info, nice work! Thanks for sharing
2019-4-29
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

maddox Posted at 4-29 19:33
Great info, nice work! Thanks for sharing

Thanks very much Captain Maddox.
2019-5-2
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 5-2 21:42
Thanks very much Captain Maddox.

You're welcome
2019-5-4
Use props
Lacko48
lvl.2
Hungary

I am interested in what can I do if I don't speak German and have no German address, but as a tourist, I want to use Mavic Air in Germany? Have you any advice?
Is it possible to get the aluminium tag and the insurance for an EU citizen not from Germany?
2019-6-11
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Lacko48 Posted at 6-11 04:44
I am interested in what can I do if I don't speak German and have no German address, but as a tourist, I want to use Mavic Air in Germany? Have you any advice?
Is it possible to get the aluminium tag and the insurance for an EU citizen not from Germany?

Not sure about the tags as I believe there are other ways to obtain them.  Post a message in the forum and hopefully someone living in Germany will respond.
Second I have included an insurance link I used.  Maybe it will work for you as you have an EU address.
HDI Insurance
2019-6-11
Use props
Lacko48
lvl.2
Hungary

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 6-11 05:39
Not sure about the tags as I believe there are other ways to obtain them.  Post a message in the forum and hopefully someone living in Germany will respond.
Second I have included an insurance link I used.  Maybe it will work for you as you have an EU address.
HDI Insurance

Thank you for the reply! I will try!.
And special thanks for this thread, very useful.
2019-6-11
Use props
Yatiblue
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38606 ft
Germany

Haha, I am from Germany and Specifically from Baden-Würtemberg and its funny how every Tourist is so impressed About everything, and I´m like yoooo that is not even something Special haha
I guess thats because I see such Things everday
2020-2-15
Use props
Yatiblue
lvl.1
Germany

If you have a Mavic Mini you can fly without a aluminium tag, because its under 250g, but you Need a special Drone Insurance :/
2020-2-15
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Yatiblue Posted at 2-15 12:02
Haha, I am from Germany and Specifically from Baden-Würtemberg and its funny how every Tourist is so impressed About everything, and I´m like yoooo that is not even something Special haha
I guess thats because I see such Things everday

I feel the same way when visiting the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
2020-2-15
Use props
Yatiblue
lvl.1
Germany

And I would be super impressed hahaha
2020-2-16
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft