952 18 2019-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Martin Dual
lvl.2
South Africa

I bought the DJI Spark and got a controller with it
I currently fly beginner mode to get up to scratch with it with my iphone
Is it better to fly it with the controller and I think with iphone in controller as well
I see a lot of stories of Spark's getting lost
I'd like the best possible option as I don't want to lose it
Does the range increase with controller and iphone and still fly in beginner mode, or does that change
I searched for these answers but find info vague
Thanks, enjoying it so far
2019-4-19
Use props
Martin Dual
lvl.2
South Africa

Is it essential to connect the phone to the controller with a cable or can it work without it
Why cable connection
2019-4-19
Use props
Bender1031
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209938 ft
United States

If you have the controller - use it!  It will increase your range... but only if you turn off beginner mode.  
As far as losing your Spark - make sure you educate yourself to all of the parts which makes it fly.  If you notice problems while flying, you should be able to catch it and return safely.
2019-4-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Martin Dual. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The above post are correct. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check out some DJI Tutorial Compilation for the DJI Spark. If you have any other inquiries or concern with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;extra=#pid829006
2019-4-19
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

Beginner mode limits you to 30 meters and slow speed.  I stayed in that mode for only a few flights.

When you take off, hover for a bit to get a good GPS lock and make sure the home point has been set to the correct location.  Use the controller and the Iphone as a FPV monitor and error message monitor (set the volumn to max).  I use my Ipad Mini-4 without OTG cable with good results.
2019-4-19
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Martin Dual Posted at 4-19 08:31
Is it essential to connect the phone to the controller with a cable or can it work without it
Why cable connection

I have never used a cable between the RC and device. I know some people swear by them but in my experience, it isn't necessary.
2019-4-19
Use props
Hobbyshop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32769 ft
United States

I'm still in chicken mode myself,  don't really have a place to let loose and try out sport mode.
2019-4-19
Use props
Martin Dual
lvl.2
South Africa

Why do some of these Sparks get lost and fly away?
I'm assuming if you do the basics and keep it in vision you'd be safe, or not
2019-4-19
Use props
Martin Dual
lvl.2
South Africa

When I connect controller, do I still bond with iphone wifi or is it just the controller?
2019-4-19
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

Type the word "flyaway" into the search box at the top of the forum.  Focus mainly on replies from folks like JJB* that have provided excellent flyaway analysis.  There are about 4-5 main reasons for this to happen.  These include, but are not limited to:
- automatic switch to atti mode (also a good search topic)
- operator error
- cascade failure due flight sensor issues
But yes you are absolutely correct - staying in VLOS will greatly improve your chances of a good outcome if something unexpected happens.
2019-4-19
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

1. Pay attention when it complains about problems. Get down. If switches to atti mode, use the camera to point it back to you and shove forward till it gets to you.
2. Make sure your battery is secure.
3. Don't fly in high wind or other bad conditions.
4. Keep your eyes on it. If you can't see your drone, you're near to in trouble already.

That accounts for the vast majority of spark accidents.
2019-4-20
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
United States

Oh. Don't be afraid to leave beginner mode, but I seldom use sport mode.
2019-4-20
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Martin Dual Posted at 4-19 20:26
When I connect controller, do I still bond with iphone wifi or is it just the controller?

When you use a OTG cable you do not have to use the WiFi from your phone to the controller.
Also remember, you never heard from the people that the spark does not fly away because they are happy you only hear stories from people it’s happened.
There are lots of electronics  packed into this little spark and things could go wrong. There is alway that chance.
A lot of the time it’s a compass error and the spark goes into Atti mode. Atti mode can not use GPS and will not use the return to home. The wind will make the spark drift in the direction it’s blowing if you’re not touching the sticks. That’s why it is important to keep it in line of sight or for some ever to have a spotter. If it goes into Atti mode, simply don’t  Panic and flying back home and land. Sometimes it happens when people don’t wait to get enough satellites connected.
2019-4-20
Use props
Martin Dual
lvl.2
South Africa

Thanks all for input
Connected and took it up, nice to use controller
I used to fly RC aircraft and helicopters
Also have a Blade 350QX quadcopter, all more or less the same, but the Spark is way much better, to see live what you're doing is just so much better
2019-4-20
Use props
Martin Dual
lvl.2
South Africa

I see on specs sheet, wifi max distance 100 m, I presume that is with phone only, should be more with controller?
According to spec sheet for controller it's about 2 km, assume it then does not use wifi to connect
2019-4-21
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Martin Dual Posted at 4-21 00:24
I see on specs sheet, wifi max distance 100 m, I presume that is with phone only, should be more with controller?
According to spec sheet for controller it's about 2 km, assume it then does not use wifi to connect

Hi Martin,

Yes, with the R/C the whole thing works way better, but these figures are meant "up to", only valid under optimal conditions. I also recommend using a OTG cable because it reduced video lag a great bit. Since you are using an iOS phone, DJI does not officially support OTG, but I'd still try it, since it doesn't cost much.
Leave beginner mode as soon as possible, fly in normal mode.
When you feel yourself halfway confident there, have a look at this thread and train ATTI mode flying. That will save your day should you ever encounter a flyaway (compass / yaw / GPS failure).
Oh, and inform yourself about drone flying rules in your country.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-4-21
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Definitely fly with a controller
2019-4-21
Use props
sparkdrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9593 ft
United States

Martin Dual Posted at 4-19 08:31
Why cable connection

It is not necessary to connect an iphone  with a cable to the RC.
iphones can be connected to the remote using Wi-Fi.
2019-5-14
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
United States

sparkdrone Posted at 5-14 15:54
It is not necessary to connect an iphone  with a cable to the RC.
iphones can be connected to the remote using Wi-Fi.

But it works a LOT better with an OTG cable
2019-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules